Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Verranicus posted:

Wow, goons getting mad over nothing ITT.

Goons.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Libluini posted:

Yeah great, but it doesn't really help if the 20 minutes happen multiple times a day. I'm not that interested in trying the game

Between the non-stop train of maintenance, the soul-crushing lag, getting dropped from the game every time I cross a zone, and intermittent input drops... I just can't be bothered at this point.

Edit- apparently wild posturing is happening on their twitch channel right now as they try to explain server woes, lag, and realm instability.

TL;DR Fat community director dude talks about eating pizza for 10 minutes.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 2, 2015

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Arthil posted:

Yeah as much as you guys like to poke fun, you're kidding yourselves if you'd think the entire team isn't running around trying to desperately fix things.

Nobody is saying they aren't, we're just saying that they appear completely disorganized, and have little to no insight/ideas on how or what to even fix.

This stream is the most thrown together thing I've ever seen. Seriously- Obese Community Fuckwad talked about eating pizza and the importance of sleep for ten loving minutes.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

New drinking words for the day:

Hotfix and megaserver. :cheers:

Who needs key words when you can just slam a shot of your preferred poison everytime you get that weird recycle to character select.

The game ends when you die of alcohol poisoning.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's alright, Carbine's servers appear to be Dreamcasts.

On the livestream, their 'sneak peek' at their War Room showed a bunch of dell laptops that looked like an old Unreal Tournament LAN party circa 2001.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Minorkos posted:

Honestly, I don't hate WoW for having tab targeting. It worked for the game at the time. But that was 2004. Now it's 2015, and devs should try something else. MMORPGs have stuck to the same combat system that revolves around tab targeting and rotating through the same old recycled spells from WoW. "Charge" from WoW becomes "Sith Charge" and so on. Instead of iterating and trying out new systems, tab-targeting and moving through rotations have become synonymous with "MMORPG combat" and have thus poisoned the word "MMORPG" forever

Well- the 'tab target, push buttons' combat system is lightyears ahead of EQ1 which was literally 'press 1 and wait to see what falls over first, you or npc'.

Slow progress, but still progress.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

So blizz is legitimately trying to cater to the hard raid crowd? How loving dumb. I mean as a dude that gravitates to hard modes (eventually) I thought LFR was a brilliant tool to give people something to do. I knew a ton of "LFR Raiders" who due to time commitments or whatever only wanted to eat raids in 30 minute increments.

To be fair, all they really did to LFR was make the reward for doing it, match the effort it took to clear the place.

Mythic sets look significantly better, and there's always been exclusive mounts/titles for end tier raiding (Hell you can still get the Blackhand mount at 100% now, and it's a 2 minute fight).

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

CoffeeBooze posted:

I get the feeling that CCP kind of stumbled into Eve and its success and has been just barely competent enough to keep running the game well enough to keep the fan base from revolting.

This is scarily accurate.

Truga posted:

Meanwhile, eve seems to still be chugging along in its little niche, even during its slow downturn. Yeah, it's not wow popular, because it's a much smaller niche in the first place, but I'm pretty sure CCP high ups are rich as gently caress anyway.

Who cares if you're rich if you live on volcano fart island.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 30, 2016

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Clarste posted:

WoW is very slowly dying and people love to propose their own personal pet peeves as the cause, but most likely the only reason is that it's over a decade old by now. Not to mention the fact that even while dying it's still far and away one of the most successful video games out there.

You could almost certainly predict when WoW will finally be dead by plotting a graph, and it will have nothing whatsoever to do with any choices Blizzard has made.

I'm sure Blizzard, being the savvy business types they are, will have created something for the post- WoW fallout in 2035- if EQ2 has persisted this long with ~60k players (a medium pop wow server), I think WoW will be just fine.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

WoW could still pull huge numbers for an expansion and retain them for a few but then everything falls apart post release. I dont think its a case of people just losing interest, at least not entirely. Its blizzard failing to keep people interest post release.

Blizzard is making way more money out of content that doesn't require as much of an upkeep so they can afford to go into semi-maintenance with WoW. Releasing an expansion and then only releasing two patches for it, one being mostly nothing, would have been unheard of in its heyday. But its going to be the new normal for WoW. But blizzard can afford it now that they can print money from Hearthstone, which only has 15 active developers. Overwatch seems to have been a huge hit and generating them a ton of money. HotS has none-insignificant following.

I think one of the biggest detractor in sub numbers for Blizzard is the EQ => DAOC => WoW crowd at the young end is what? Mid-30's?

Whereas the competitive FPS/MOBA scene is what? Early 20's? The difference in out of game responsibility is huge, a significant portion of the player base doesn't have the free-time they once did to collect bear asses and grind reputations anymore.

Truga posted:

Yes, but probably not personal assets. I'm pretty sure Hilmar is giving himself an astronomical wage.

I'm actually curious to know what that dude pays himself, especially in light of massive layoffs/studio closures in recent years.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

Wait. So Carbine is charging real money to unlock classes for other races? Is that how I'm reading that image? Because if so, :laffo:.

I mean, that's pretty dumb, but it's not EQ2 $400 guild hall dumb

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Commissar Budgie posted:

I really loved that one RvR scenario on the active volcano. I played a black orc, and slinging knockbacks to push people into molten death was 10/10. That was Tier 2 or 3 though, IIRC.

Pretty sure that was tier 3, tier 2 was that king of the hill nonsense- where you could still send people plummeting to their deaths off the ramps leading to the precipice.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

This sounds like some poo poo that someone on Reddit made up because "those ncsoft assholes probably did it." How exactly are they stingy for giving them an extra year and a half to finish this tire fire? Plus, by all accounts, the people making the problems were those making decisions, not the guys doing the grunt work.

They probably should have spent more time working on their game, then paying non-staffers to write glassdoor reviews that actually painted their company in a positive light or at the very least- a decent studio to work for.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Stop repeating that they need to pull a FFXIV. Its impossible to do it at this stage.

e-It took like 3 years to get ffxiv 2.0 operational after 1.0 was mismanaged. Yeah it was like 2 years under yoshi at the time but its still a long time to go to unfuck a game. The only reason why it happened was because SE had a brand riding on FFXIVs survival. Right now if wildstar gets shutdown absolutely no one will blame NCsoft for what happened.

It's worth noting that the Final Fantasy franchise has heartstrings amongst gamers ranging from 50 to 12 at this point, with a long history of story driven gameplay.

WildStar is a failed recreation of what Blizzard did to create WoW i.e. take ideas from a different game (EQ), and make them more accessible, but instead they took ideas from a genre, made it cliché as possible, then ramped up the difficulty to unemployed basement dweller. I guess there's a small collective that want to spend hours upon hours collecting bear asses and doing endless attunements- but that's a pretty small, yet exceedingly vocal minority.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

Storage Warplots.

HAVE YOU EVEN SEEN THEM?!

Verranicus posted:

I tried to give WIldstar another shot when it went F2P but the game is just so visually noisy I couldn't make it past the 2nd zone. It gave me headaches and trying to figure out where to go and what to do felt like a chore, and like others have said I couldn't relax for a drat minute.

At one point, there was a pretty handy addon that drew a ball of yarn on the ground (i.e. pointed to all the quests available in the zone/vacinity/astral unit); It didn't make anything less confusing, but it did lead you to interesting places- and occasionally off a cliff.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 24, 2016

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

From what I've heard, they just straight started putting raid gear in the store for real money.

Yeah they did that.

Then sold overpowered souls in 'soul packs' with a bunch of bad souls nobody wanted for a premium, because you're getting good soul 1, and overpowered soul 2, with completely unviable soul 7, 8, 9 and 10 all for the bargain price of 49.99 + VAT/tax.

They also bound the earring slot to a microtransaction, then did some weird B2P/F2P electric slide and decided that the community is retarded (they weren't wrong- but not something you should actually say, because they did- on their official forums no less) and released an 'expansion pack' that had their biggest content creator/streamer delete his characters on a live stream[/url] after their community manager poorly attempted to blackmail him by threatening him with a ban if he continued to audibly trash their game and company on every public forum available. (Link)

TL;DR the people that crashed EQII who eventually got fired from Daybreak games went to work for Trion and decided to run that poo poo into the ground too.
Why settle for killing one game when you can kill two?

Xolve fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 26, 2016

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Mayor McCheese posted:

Hahaha wow, what the gently caress. Trion was fantastic when RIFT came out and I liked how they approached a few of the tired MMO systems as well as their solid update schedule.

How do you get fired from Daybreak. That's amazing.

Trion was fantastic when RIFT came out, but then they released a slew of other games and consistently cannibalized the team that worked on RIFT until all they had left were 3 interns and 2 extremely jaded community shitlords that were picked up from other projects still fresh in their graves.

ArcheAge, Atlas Reactor, that other game nobody remembers, and something else have literally taken all the talent away from their primary earner and everyone that stuck around essentially got hosed in a way oddly reminiscent of that whole Star Wars galaxies debacle.

Also worth noting, their new 'expansion' was 2 overland zones, 3 dungeons (one old one tuned up) and no raids- but that didn't stop them from charging 40 bucks for it.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Smedly cant catch no breaks

Obviously the only thing left to do is reunite with McQuaid and double down on yet another crowd funded coke binge CDSIII Charge retro ARPG that will relive the experience of running a failing game studio.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

I'll be honest, if there were Wildstar private servers with some XP adjustments and a few other changes to make it less stupid, I would 1000% play it.

Sad when the best prospect for 'saving an MMO' is to sell it to another company, and see if it's even possible to gently caress up any worse than Carbine has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

it's so dumb too since their early catchphrase was "The devs are listening". I guess they were listening to the wails and moans of the people suffering through a terrible launch? They sure weren't taking criticism well.

"Let's wait for a boss to get killed, then buff it- because- gently caress this big, dumb game." -WildStar's Raids Team 2015

• Locked thread