Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Before or after the server imploded (again)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Verranicus posted:

It's still up for me.

Well, I was disconnecting every two minutes about an hour ago, but now there's a queue so I can't check.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm trying this game out because I try out lots of free MMOs, play them for a few weeks, and then quit forever. If it doesn't work now, I'll probably just wait for the launch shenanigans to calm down.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You can just hold down a key to spam a move. Also, I set the camera to auto-follow my mouse (which binds 1 and 2 to left and right click), and that feels a lot better to me. Unfortunately the menus and other interactions don't all play nicely with it, so I have to switch back and forth a lot (defaults to `).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For now, yeah, I guess. Who knows how long until they give up though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think the funny part is that it's not just that the servers are getting hammered, different things are breaking each time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

According to a new post, the extremely frequent yet short maintenances are so they can see whether or not what they changed did anything. I feel so confident in them all of a sudden.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For the record, the news post says these new servers are temporary until they "fix the problem", which I assume means they'll wait for everyone to leave again and then merge it back down to one server.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

As someone who does not value their time, I have gotten to level 25 over the last couple of days. There's a literal tutorial dungeon at 10 (complete with someone telling you not to stand in the red circles), and another dungeon at 20. The tutorial was actually harder than the one at 20, because it wasn't afraid to instantly kill you for screwing up the one thing it was trying to teach you. Bosses love to do this thing where they knock you really far back and start channeling a super death move that you have to interrupt. If you like dodging circles while trying to keep up your rotation I guess that's cool? It's all circles all the time though. That's just the game.

Anyway, I think the game generally gets more interesting as you get more of your moves. The ones you start with are just really basic and boring. Red circles also get more dangerous as you get higher level, so dodging becomes more important, and that makes things much more interesting. There's something I find thrilling about diving out of a circle, I dunno. I've been soloing all the group quest bosses (who I can't interrupt at all because they have 2+ interrupt armor), and it's kinda fun. Not only that, many quests that require you to kill X guys also have a "miniboss" you can take on for up to 50% quest completion in one swoop, which is way more interesting than killing 10 chumps for 5% each. But also good odds of killing you if you're not careful. So... yeah, diving out of circles. If you like that, then it's sort of fun. And if don't, then you shouldn't bother.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh, hah, there's a bug with the level 25 dungeon making a boss unbeatable since the things you need to kill to move don't spawn.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I got through Whitevale and didn't notice anything notable about it other than the talking squid hat (which was funny for the first minute and then got incredibly annoying for the next hour before I replaced it). The kill quests just encourage you to find bigger mobs that are worth more points, and it's more fun to fight those guys anyway.

That said, I also quit the game during the downtime over the weekend and started playing GW2, so this isn't exactly a recommendation. I just didn't see anything exceptionally wrong with Whitevale.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I used to raid in WoW for a couple of years, and I actually enjoyed it. It was basically about overcoming challenges and hanging out with long-distance friends over Skype or teamspeak or whatever the hell people used back then. On the other hand, when the guild fell apart I immediately quit cold turkey and haven't regretted it in the slightest.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, from what they've said they knew it was a train wreck years before it launched, but for whatever reason it had too much momentum for them to actually change anything before it was too late. They just had the worst development process imaginable, so the project they started back in the early WoW era came out years later with minimal modernization.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

WoW is very slowly dying and people love to propose their own personal pet peeves as the cause, but most likely the only reason is that it's over a decade old by now. Not to mention the fact that even while dying it's still far and away one of the most successful video games out there.

You could almost certainly predict when WoW will finally be dead by plotting a graph, and it will have nothing whatsoever to do with any choices Blizzard has made.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The fear is probably that players will abuse it and ruin the economy or whatever. Not that this is necessarily a reasonable fear, and having a limited number of no-questions-asked take backs is a good solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That vision is playing Vanilla WoW forever.

• Locked thread