Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
There are complaints that if you try to buy their funbux to buy pets or w/e from the cash shop the transaction lags like everything else and there's a 50/50 chance it'll either never charge you or charge you multiple times for the same transaction.

Beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I still have my "of the wrecking crew" title from when they did the last major beta stress test

Whenever I bother to log on I'll put it on for old time's sake and in honor of the fact any number of people logging on apparently strains the servers these days wakka wakka wakka

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Verranicus posted:

Servers are going down for 3 hours at 5AM EST. Perhaps a fix is in the works??? Maybe??

Yeah and when the game first launched I thought the first major patch would fix all the horrible bugs, not introduce new ones on top of the old ones.

Welcome to WildStar, cupcake.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

KaneTW posted:

*teleportation sound*

And he's proud of it. Cool.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Comrayn posted:

What the gently caress did the gruff cowboy's pregnant wife I found in the tutorial really die in a terrible spaceship crash and he's just like "ah gosh dern it my dang wife was on that ship shucks".

I had to stop playing last night after the ship blew up so maybe there's more to it than that?

Nope! She's never mentioned again outside of "I'll get them dang dominion bastards for this consarnit I tell you what we exile sure are western as sarsaparilla yesiree bob."

Wildstar!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Snatch Duster posted:

Too everyone not being able to play Wildstar or log in smoothly.

what did you expect idiots

And why even complain?

It's pretty much the intended experience at this point. F2P was never going to fix this.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

So, uh, I'm guessing there's also not gonna be a Halloween event this year? :ghost:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

KaneTW posted:

Yes? It's not real. It's literally a fictional creation, no one is hurt by it existing. I condemn actual real life pedo poo poo because it hurts people.

This is a hell of a hill you've chosen to die on.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Goons who bring up... who... hang on, I'm gonna need to make a flow chart.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I feel really sorry for the underlings trying to keep all this together cause I'm sure whatever code this game is built on is absolute incomprehensible poo poo.

Whoever is responsible is probably either gone or so unhelpful they might as well be, and the people at the top are busy jacking off and drafting their ~next great vision~ for whatever studio they land at, probably simultaneously.

MMOs suck, but working in MMOs? Holy poo poo.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

The Christmas event is actually the game's shutdown. That's the gift to all the players: freedom... plus 3 boom boxes redeemable 12 hours before they wipe the servers.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

loquacius posted:

Is it because they fired all the devs and outsourced maintenance or what?

You get a prize!

It's more boom boxes.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

The amusement I get is watching the Tumblr community. The diehards are mostly this tight cluster of Dominion players, and they don't even enjoy the game.

I don't understand it. I guess it's because they've been playing since playing since day 1 and refuse to give up? They post things like "this LAG is giving people a bad impression!" and sincerely think Carbine is conspiring to lure people to play Exile.

Go poke around #wildstar and #dominion for yourselves. I don't think WildStar is even popular enough to be included in 4chan's anniversary "flood popular tumblr things with gore pictures" operation.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

loquacius posted:

See, these are all the kind of thing that professional engineers should be able to see coming ahead of time

But they fired all those people and outsourced game maintenance to who I guess are a bunch of complete incompetents

Or fresh out of college kids desperate to have any job.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I think they transferred all their competent people to BnS *knock on wood, the wood has disturbing and wholly unnecessary jiggle physics*

With Cyster to keep them from burning the place down of course.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Loose Ifer posted:

I don't know why i'm doing this but i'm able to create a character and log in right now.

You're part of the problem.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

AMPs unlock automatically now after level 10 or so don't they? Having to find drops or buy the drat thing from rep vendors was the worst goddamn decision.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

If the servers don't burst into flames I may log in, unlock Trigger Fingers on my Spellslinger, cry a little, and log out.

And the way Carbine's caving to the casual scum happened was this... AMP's weren't implemented or tested at all until the final loving phase of beta. You could pull up that tab in game but it just said "coming soon!"

Originally the first ring of AMPs were free to unlock when you hit the level for them. Then you starting hitting stuff that you needed to find, but were absurdly common drops. Then there were AMPs that could be bought off rep vendors. And then the top stuff were incredibly rare world drops, only off raid bosses, or so on.

The first compromise was making it so only the top tiers needed to be found because guild banks were FILLED with low level amps everyone already had or didn't need. And then they just threw their hands up of the rest because the rare stuff wasn't dropping and the economy was FUBUR anyway if you wanted to buy one.

Anoia fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 2, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I do want to try Medic again cause when the game first launched the class was pretty hosed up and a chore to play...

This was after they fixed the beta exploit where you could hammer R repeatedly and have an infinite special power charge. They knew about it for months and for a while there was a log in message asking medic players to please stop exploiting it. :allears:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Mayor McCheese posted:

Don't worry guys, after all this lag and server downtime/reboots you'll all get neat pets or something. Totally worth it.

Somewhere a carbine employee who's had four hours sleep is slapping a pair of sunglasses on a sheep model and tweaking the texture color so it looks sickly green.

As they save the file as partyatbaaaarnies, they pop another pill and sit back to question their life choices.

This concludes my carbine fanfic, and I STILL don't get why they named the sheep rowsdower.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Presented without comment: https://twitter.com/CRB_Buiden

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Their solution for the character select kick loop is... set your graphics to ultra low and then log in.

This loving game.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Greetings Arthil, the Carbine employee who's not our beloved Cyster.

Or the sad rabid fan caught in the grips of sunk cost fallacy right here in our midst. Whichever.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Arthil posted:

*Golfclaps* I like many parts of the game and would like it to succeed with F2P instead of fail, that doesn't make me a shill. Grow up guys.

I mean hell if they can get the servers to stop making GBS threads themselves it's honestly one of the better F2P options available. My experience with SWTOR was horrible, what else is there? Rift?

:allears:

You are now the thread centerpiece.

There's actually a golfclap emote btw. Look: :golfclap:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

The die hards are back to the "people complaining clearly never remember WoW expansions"

I seem to recall they managed to address expansion congestion with something more than "working on it!" three days out from launch.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I really love how they've dug in and absolutely refuse to go back and admit they're just regular servers.

M-M-M-M-M-MEGASERVER!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Wonder Turbine posted:

We know Aurins are particularly polyamorous and somewhat promiscuous. But I'm sure we all want more details:
1) On average, do females normally have one child, twins, or more like a litter? If the latter, do they normally have 2 nipples or additional sets?
2) We know it isn't unusual for a Matriarch to bear her consort's children, but is this traditionally a harem arrangement with multiple consorts, or do they normally stick to one at a time?
3) Do Matriarchs trade around their consorts from community to community to avoid multi generational inbreeding? If so, is there an event or celebration where this happens publicly, almost like a draft system? Or is it done behind closed doors?
4) We know Aurin love trees. But do they ever LOVE trees?
Thank you for your time!

Source your quotes.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

Changing any/all of the default Carbine Addons to 3rd party ones can net you 10-20 FPS, because Carbine are poo poo. HTH.

What addons? Just all the ones on Curse?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

Forge UI is the biggest one since it replaces a TON. My understanding is the Unit Frames and Nameplates are the worst offenders

I feel really bad I that got my alpha key from the UI designer way back when now.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

They insisted on a complete overhaul of the UI design pretty late in the beta for some reason. It worked okay before that.

I didn't really mind how the old version looked, either, it was just poorly organized.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Manifest Dynasty posted:

They overhauled a LOT of stuff VERY late in beta, if I remember right. Crafting I definitely remember being scrapped and completely reworked just before. It seemed like there was a very transparent decision to launch the game just to hit a window (before WOW released their exansion, I think?) no matter what the state of the game.

The UI that tracks my Settler quests crashes every time I 100% complete a zone.

WildStar was trying to beat ESO, and for a while it did look like the latter was more of a mess, if only just.

Then WildStar rushed a major content drop to coincide with WoW's expansion and that introduced that gardening plot duping bug that shattered the economy.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

So how hopeless is it for new players to buy anything on the auction house?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

CoffeeBooze posted:

It is not like their previous content drops hadnt been absolute disasters as well. I dont know if many people remember, but Carbine had initially promised monthly content patches. At first they did actually deliver on this but every drop included a slew of game breaking bugs. These bugs were being introduced at a game at a rate far faster than they were being fixed so by the time Carbine gave up on the monthly content drop promise most of the games player base were pretty happy about it.

Yeah, what made the WoD/duping patch so hilarious is it was the first content drop after they decided to slow down and release them when they were ready, so everyone thought there wouldn't be any more game breaking bugs when one dropped.

And then the most game breaking bug of all happened.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah they don't possess server roll-back technology.

They gave most of the heavy offenders a slap on the wrist and a mean look, but didn't, you know, take their ill-gotten money away or anything lol

They went from threatening permanent bans, to realizing they'd been banning a huge percentage of players and promising to be lenient if people came forward.

Finally they handed out week bans and confiscated any duped currency players hadn't already spent. Anything bought with it was untouched.

I think WildStar's teleporting bot problem may have stopped solely because there's no point anymore, just like the guy earlier whose account was hacked and then just abandoned with all the money making stuff on it.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

The Chairman posted:

"The most badass looking character I've ever had, in any game. Kudos Carbine!"

She looks sad and malnourished.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Eej posted:

Nothing grinds my gears more than men who do not conform to traditional hyper masculine stereotypes.

That was exactly the kind of outcry the original blood elf male model got in the burning crusade beta.

Countless guys posted that they loved the goku and sephiroth hair but what if the fact they were so svelte made people think they were g-g-g-gay? :gay:

So they literally buffed the models and that was that. Day saved!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I would like the person who thought the new stats were better to be punched, too.

Just do the classic str/dex/sta formula, have them feed crappy secondary stats, stop trying to reinvent the wheel when your idea for a better version of the wheel is 16 squares.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Libluini posted:

I'm still angry they axed moxie.

I just love that word. Moxie. Best stat ever. :3:

It really is... was. :smith:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

There's no telling who Space Jam actually fell to once the servers merged but goons originally had it. Since no one in it plays anymore it's probably just lost forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Could be worse. Could be Crimson Blade.

Now, if one of you fuckers downloads Crimson Blade and tries to say it's not so bad....

• Locked thread