Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Langosta Whiteman posted:

And you've also been able to experience interrupt armor on monsters, which is just loving dumb. The idea that you're team has to be totally on the ball or else you wipe is not only an un-fun idea, it's just asking for problems. Swear to god the people who made this game gave no thought to how actual people work.

That could have been a cool thing to make encounters quicker and easier for a group really in sync but making it a hard requirement really was a idiotic move.

Every good idea had to be hosed up in some way. It's like the one design rule Wildstar followed on every component.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

The Moon Monster posted:

I only played the beta but that seemed pretty cool.

It had a lot of good ideas I really wanted to mess with (class break points, sci fi settings, a early version of the GW2 group events) but never got around too it and then BLAM cancelled.

Really wonder if it would have survived as a F2P game now a days.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's the only game where the wizard class actually felt like a badass slinger of powerful magics. Every other game its like pew pew pew haha look at my magic pew pew, meanwhile in BDO a flame explosion takes over the entire screen as another wizard conjures the lightning storm from hell.

Its poo poo like this that really makes me want Capcom to finally bring Dragons Dogma Online to the West and let us run around climbing over poo poo and doing screen clearing spells.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

darkhand posted:

I'm playing the single player Dragon's Dogma and it's a seriously good RPG. It's Monster Hunter + Dark Souls

Its one of the only action RPGs I can remember where instead of fighter type classes just hitting a monsters feet the player can actually climb on them and stab everything in the face.

Look at this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLsdxdrc5pc

I want to hang out with some bros while taking out a Chimera bit by bit.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Is this just the MMO Chat thread/topics that don't need their own thread now? Cause I feel like that was the one thing this sub-formed missed.

God I need to stop myself from trying to sink the time to get the Dragons Dogma Online client working.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 29, 2016

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Its also shows how thirsty people are for space games especially for a space action MMO. Of course the dream of Star Citizen is way more powerful then what a game could ever produce.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

DancingShade posted:

That reminds me of a bug with Perfect World (the game not the company) with an early elf quest to get your flying wings that required you to interact with a chest. Only one person could interact at a time so you could just sit there spamming the button and nobody else could progress.

This is a bug that constantly keeps coming up. Even in non MMO games! Like when The Division launched you created your character, did a quick little movement tutorial, and then you had to go to a computer to "activate" yourself as a secret agent. And yet again only one person could interact with the computer at a time so there as this long as line of people waiting in line to start playing the game.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I'm not sure if this, the bad MMO thread, has ever brought up the Firefall and Ember debacle or not, but Mark Kern is one desperate motherfucker. I saw this in my spam folder:

Mass PMing people who have accounts on the old Firefall forums to try and get them to play his successor to his own failed game. :psyduck:

What did ever happen to Firefall? I played it for a while and it seemed like it could be a cool, open-worldish sci-fi game but it had wayyyy to much grinding for me.

Same question about Skyforge. I heard they some how made that game worst?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I actually played a bit of Skyforge before the NGE but I could not get over the grind to unlock new classes to try. I got to one (the Archer) and realized I never want to grind enough to get some of the other classes that might just flat out suck. The NGE was suppose to fix most of that...and then the details came out. I didn't realize it was that bad.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

super sweet best pal posted:

We should get in on that, get sponsors for goon guilds.

Following the Eve model the Goon Guide Leader would run off with the cash.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Augus posted:

that's a shame, it looked promising to me

That's how every one got suckered in. The preview/races videos looked good and fun and then every one tried the free weekend and realized "This is just WoW". Later people found out the game was focused on the hardcore raiding crowd without various other problems and people just melted away.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Ad by Khad posted:

If you tried the free weekend and posted "This is just Wow" in the wildstar thread on this very forum after the free weekend, you would've been dogpiled and run right outta that thread. I remember posting "I don't find medic fun, sorry Cyster" and the wildstar goons gave me a whole shitload of heat over it.

Goons were pretty loving stupid right up until and even after launch.

There is no goon more rabid then one defending a MMO then has just launched/about to launch. I tried for 20 min and I just could not shake the feeling I was playing 2004 WoW but with pretty graphics.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
They really need to bring back a updated Tabula Rasa and/or that one car combat game. Bandwidth is good enough and Destiny kind of shows there is a market for a online action RPG with mouse aiming + classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

onesixtwo posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Assault

I completely forgot about this, but even if this isn't the same game, I definitely remember playing this with old EQ guildmates for an extremely brief period of time. According to https://biobreak.wordpress.com/mmo-timeline/ it only lasted for 14 months!

quote:

Shutdown

Due to lack of subscribers, a decision was made to terminate support for the product. This was communicated by the company on the Public Forums one month prior to shutting down. On July 2, 2007, it was officially announced that Auto Assault's servers would be shut down August 31 and that the subscribers' accounts would be 'reconciled'. Offers to continue to run servers by various parties were denied, but additional “Parting Gifts” were sent via e-mail with, "...opportunities to take a part in some of our other products, including Richard Garriott’s Tabula Rasa and City of Heroes..."

Those poor bastards......

• Locked thread