Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pathos posted:

I tried to login and discovered that my level 2 character is gone. The one I spent all of 10 minutes playing before realizing that my friend had tricked me into buying a total disaster at release.

Now, mind, I logged into my circa 2000 Everquest account and that character was fine and unchanged. A character I hadn't touched in 15 years. But wildstar? Nah, delete my character. No problem. Incredible.

As far as I know, at one point they deleted long-inactive characters below level three (when the servers merged?) and then more recently when altering the tutorial, characters still sitting in the tutorial were deleted. The tutorial deletion was announced in advance, I remember moving an alt because of it during the brief time I was playing before f2p. So I assume the server merge deletion was warned for in advance too but :iiam:

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rhymenoserous posted:

The catch is re-rolling runeslots. You can play rune roulette with in game currency which can get pricey, or you can buy service tokens from the in game store via either cash money or via the currency you earn in game just by doing stuff(Omnibits) and pick specifically what runeslots you want.

Service tokens have also been dropping from login rewards, though I didn't bother to look at how many I was actually getting.

Speaking of login rewards, I saw some CRB name confirm that they're like GW2 in that they don't reset if you miss a day. So they got that right.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rhymenoserous posted:

Money is pretty easy to make in game if you aren't terminally lazy. A group of five people pooling together to buy a CRED to create a guild would only take a day if even that.

In addition to this, blocking completely free accounts from creating guilds (without extra time and effort involved) was probably implemented to help cut down on invite spam from gold sellers or whatever.

EDIT: Googled a little bit and yep the gold sellers were apparently doing poo poo like this https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/81879-do-we-report-people-in-obviously-gold-seller-made-guilds/

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 11, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
GW2's anti-spammer/scammer free to play measures are considerably harsher. Wildstar's aren't really unreasonable IMO. :iiam:

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I still think Wildstar's at least okay, but I won't pretend I haven't been playing Project Gorgon instead of ever reaching WS endgame. :v: Will still be sorry to see it go if it does, it did have decent dress-up and housing, and sci-fi MMOs (with fun alien character options, not just humans in space) do deserve to be more common than they are.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, when you take the superhero skin off CoX's gameplay and look at the bones of the game directly it was pretty standard - but for me the exception was my Storm defender. The crowd control via actually throwing enemies around rather than just debuffs and stuns (though I think I could do all that too) was stupidly fun, and the most epic memories I have of the character involved basically saving entire parties with the Hurricane toggle. I once got to pull a "you shall not pass" against a ton of zombies and that zombie archvillain doctor guy while the rest of my party fled the sewers to regroup. :3: I died, of course, but it owned.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

noELrunes posted:

People are complaining on the reddit that the daily log in rewards suck after 300+ days.

I stopped after id say a month of that implemented so kudos to them

If I remember right the daily permanently ran out of unique items once you got the space pig mount, whatever day that was. I kept logging in long enough to see the drat thing, then the calendar after that was just a wasteland of generic consumables and small bags of currency and poo poo.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

That said, Rift never delivered on the whole, well, "Rift" thing enough to keep me playing. Outside that it was just WoW with a dreary world (although the backstory wasn't bad) and an interesting class system.

The class system was probably my favorite thing. I've seen that kind of skill point tree done in a few little single-player games, but the closest most MMOs get is just a side page to all the rest of your regular class stuff that exists to make you farm up an additional 200 stupid-points in order to get +1% crit damage or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tanners posted:

Might not be true anymore but when I played the most hardcore endgame was Cheesemaking.

Pretty sure this still is and will always be true. Blessed are the cheesemakers.

Personally I play a vegetarian spider. :3: PG is a fun game but obviously it's also low-budget and a work in progress so just don't be one of those people that marathon grinds the same few dungeons all day every day and the game will remain good. Treat it more like Morrowind where you wander around doing whatever stupid thing you feel like instead of grinding obsessively for an extra +.01% damage on your sword.

So basically it's the complete opposite of Wildstar. Though it will also have housing eventually which I can only assume will be as bizarre as the rest of the game.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 21, 2016

• Locked thread