Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I am sure part of that was inflation due to that infinite money bug or something that destroyed the game's economy a while back.

A shame about this game's community though, it's the sole reason I won't give the game a second chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

RottenK posted:

Steven Universe is manchild-pandering trash and you are a moron for liking it.

then what are mmos?

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

That almost sounds like radiant quests.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

My favorite questing in any MMO to date is still the secret world. It was fairly generic in some aspects, but it showed that you can take the time to draw a player in and it can pay off massively.

Then Tokyo and all the rest of it happened.

They are completely revamping TSW into more of a f2p multiplayer action RPG with a hub system (Agartha), that actually sounds very promising at this point and it's something to look at.

Emberfox fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 13, 2017

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

WoW is a game I play off and on. The on times is usually when I figure something new might have happened, or something has improved through a patch or something. The off times is when the realization sets in that doing ANYTHING else with the time I spent playing it would've been more rewarding and not feel (as) wasted. It generally boils down to where I'm more interested in the podcast I'm listening to than actually playing the game on screen. The only other MMO I feel this way about is Guild Wars 2, but at least that doesn't have a $15 subscription fee.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

I feel like I'm in the opposite camp. I cannot stand MMOs following the Everquest/WoW/Wildstar formula anymore, because it essentially boils down to either running the same group of dungeons over and over or grinding daily quests. Even playing with friends, that gets really really old. Also exploration is a joke, because 95% of the open world is trivial because only the endgame matters in these games, not to mention the thrill of discovery is dampened by the fact that datamining/wikis are a thing.

Monster Hunter and PSO scratch an entirely different itch for me, because I feel like I'm more involved with the combat. And they both drop the pretense of an open world. Hell, I was annoyed at Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for making me do the solo content main thing before I could progress any further in multiplayer (I hate wystones).

I'm not sure, but I feel like games have progressed to the point where just regular multiplayer games do small-group content way better than theme park MMOs these days.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

FutureCop posted:

Similar thing for stories in MMOs: while FFXIV:ARR has an engaging story, it constantly dilutes itself by having a crowd of fellow 'warriors of light' surrounding the quest NPCs and objectives. The medium it is presented in works against the story, since it assumes that you are 'the one' and has to constantly make pitiful excuses to rationalize the appearance of your party members in group content. I'd prefer playing a single-player story like Witcher or Fallout where it actually works, or to have MMOs actually embrace the fact that you are one-in-a-million instead of some false sole savior (I feel like there may be a few MMOs that have done this? Most MMOs seem to only embrace the fact that you are just a person in the very beginning and then drop it).

This is basically why I haven't played ESO yet. I'm actually interested in the game, but I keep second-guessing myself, and then end up going to play Skyrim instead. I've had the game steam-gifted for me for awhile now, and I've read the OP of the thread but I don't know.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

GW2 is a game I really have to go back to at some point. Last I heard, they were focused on its dungeon/raid -game which really, really wasn't the game's strong suit. I can never decide on a class in that game either.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

CoH also didn't really use the trinity. I mean, there was classes like the Tanker, if you were into that sort of thing, but could also lock down enemies with the Controller. Healers weren't entirely necessary, and a properly played Defender focused on buffs and debuffs also worked. Of course everyone having healing/res inspirations also helped.

Though the safety of the trinity meant that everyone wanted an Earth Tanker and an Empathy Defender in their group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought GW2 was pretty good if you just wanted a big open world to gently caress around in solo. Which is really all I do with MMOs these days anyway.

Between it and ESO, they both look pretty fun for that sort of thing. I haven't really played much GW2 since release, and never played ESO (it's a game that I avoided since it was kind of bad at launch apparently), and was probably going to try one of them after I shotgun the Dragon Age series.

I was going to play Secret World Legends, but that is looking like it's going to be a steaming pile of garbage, just by looking at its thread.

• Locked thread