Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

lol well the acclaim HAS been incredibly critical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Today I learned it takes some people two hours to figure out to click 'DON'T SHOW THIS HINT AGAIN' on tooltips. I love learning something new every day.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Givin posted:

Wait, you don't have to hold sprint anymore? Is it a toggle? Base runspeed? Someone confirm please. I can't be assed to install this poo poo again.

Last I played when it first went f2p it was just on until you got into combat and then you had the old sprint bar

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

ArtIsResistance posted:

I'm just saying it was funny that there used to be a Wildstar thread saying the game will shut down and a bunch of goons were posting in it and now years later there's a thread that doesn't say that but a bunch of goons are still oddly posting in it

:ssh: It's the same thread

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Ponuh posted:

can we loop back around an explain why this game has so much goonhate? Is it just the obnoxious sense of humor (ex. unironically calling many things "badass"). It feels painfully normal in every way, but also like the developers tried hard to revise some MMO mechanics that were boring/un-fun. This is usually something people here respond positively to, so what exactly makes this so offensively bad? or is it simply because it failed?

They didn't try to revise anything; they were explicitly trying to be 'hardcore' and have raiding similar to Vanilla WoW. You had massive attunement quests, you had raid fights that were literally 'don't stand in any of the poo poo that keeps spawning on the floor,' interrupt armor that was on EVERYTHING rather than just trash and trash with 'wipe the group' spells that had to be interrupted and required too much timing on using those skills, and a dev team who were just rude and elitist towards their playerbase.

One of the devs posted this after a raiding guild beat the raid he had worked on, I think after they had tweaked the raid down to beatable levels:

There was also a situation where you could be bugged in that long rear end attunement process and lose all of your progress and be unable to finish, and the dev response was 'welp just reroll.'

Wildstar's team just hosed up a LOT and the game was incredibly mediocre; even now it's not a HORRIBLE MMO but it doesn't do a lot to stick out in the sea of free MMOs out there.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

DarkstarIV posted:

Wait. So Carbine is charging real money to unlock classes for other races? Is that how I'm reading that image? Because if so, :laffo:.

You can buy races in SWTOR for about 10 bucks a pop or so, to unlock them for all of the classes; you can also just get a character to max level of that race to unlock it for all classes.

It's not really uncommon.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I seriously dont understand how WS can keep going. Even with the massive reduction in staff they still have to be bleeding money. How many people does carbine staff right now? Like 80? Average it at 50k a head and thats 4m right there in the year just in salaries and they expect to get 5m in the whole year. Utilities, rent, taxes and other misc expenditures will take them into the red and then some.

Yeah but that loss and expenditure is probably able to be written off at tax time for NCSoft. Once it stops being close to breaking even is when they might cut funding and kill it.

But that's just conjecture so I'm pretty much talking out of my rear end on that

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 2, 2016

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

CoffeeBooze posted:

Hiring Youtubers to make promotional videos is a pretty good idea. Wildstar has such a poor reputation that a regular marketing campaign just wouldnt work.

Honestly though I think the best thing they could do is the advertising equivalent of hanging out an "under new management sign!". A few interviews with the new managers about what went wrong, what theyre changing, etc etc. That kind of honest criticism of the behavior of other developers/managers just doesnt happen in game development though, so thats off the table.

That would infuriate the remaining true believers and at this point I doubt itd bring in enough people to fix things. Carbine probably needs a financial shot in the arm to do anything to save the game

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
There's lot of references in the voice lines and dialogue between characters, and the ones in the levels are mostly to their own games, like the Siege Tank game that looks like a Metal Slug clone.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

CoffeeBooze posted:

24-hour peak: 998

How is Carbine managing to keep the lights on at this point? That is abysmal. I really dont understand the business logic of this games continued existence.

Five bucks says the die hard defense is "that's just the steam numbers most people are using the stand alone game client"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Anoia posted:

Maybe they're reluctant to make this the 10th game they've shuttered, lest they get some kind of bad reputation :haw:

They get a free tote bag if they shutter ten games that have run at least three years.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Pierson posted:

Even the age of WoW having huge year-long dry spells of content is apparently over as they switch over to FF14-style smaller but more regular content drops, so now even those times where you could release an MMO and reasonably expect to attract bored WoW players might be gone.

Wasn't this the plan from like Cata forward, but they've just sucked at it? I know WoD was part of the "fewer patches, more expansions" plan.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Inzombiac posted:

My lady shot a million lightning bolts from her hands and shot a hot load of justice with her shotgun.
If only new MMOs fully veered into action games instead of toolbar crap. Black Desert does that a bit but the whole game is very confusing.

Remember Auto Assault?

I played AA in beta and it was pretty fun. Did the same for Tablua Rasa but all I remember is my dude having a minigun.

Though in the end, all MMO servers become tabula rasa. :v:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

i am tim! posted:

Don't forget that if you gave the right NPC the four items he asked for in a single stack instead of splitting them into four stacks of one item each and handing them over like that, he won't recognize the items and treat it like you handed him a random thing. Which he will accept as a gift.

Funnier still, he'd count it as a single item and only give partial credit on the quest, meaning someone could come up and hand him three of the items and he'd give them the reward for four.

I seem to remember this being a thing with some quest to turn in belts out of Freeport, where you could turn in a partial amount and then a low level dude could turn in one and get the experience.

EverQuest 1 was literally just a MUD with a GUI in how poo poo was done.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

CoffeeBooze posted:

And then you could have a home improvement big box shop themed raid with bosses that dropped things like paint and furniture that could be used to upgrade your house to attract higher class tenants!

Shop Til You Drop: The MMO

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

DancingShade posted:

Remember Everquest Landmark? It's ok, nobody else does either.
http://steamcharts.com/app/297810#All

lmao it had one player launch it on steam three days ago and I'm willing to assume that was some goon who downloaded it out of curiosity from this thread

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
EverQuest 2 also kept a lot of the stuff EverQuest 1 had, like getting a spell that does the same thing another spell previously did. For tanks, this was a good thing, since paladin and shadowknight spells typically had a lot of threat attached to them, so you could just keep several old spells on the bar to build threat on the cheap.

But nothing explained this in either game; both games suffered from THE VISION where most of the fun was supposed to be in the discovery of what the gently caress you even did.

I didn't play much of EQ2 but I remember there were like three specializations for each class type or something like that, and I remember playing the evil version of the monk. I always thought that was a little weird, but that was the original intent of the PvP and such in EQ1, good versus evil versus neutral :v:

e: Now I'm tempted to download the game again and give it a try. I wonder if I still have comped time on it.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Percelus posted:

eq2 is a bad game

apparently Massively disagreed with you six years ago

because they still show it proudly on their website

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Bieeardo posted:

I tried EQ2 three times. The first time was relatively early in its development; I think Frogloks hadn't been released, and the entire tutorial sequence was on a boat. I made landfall after some lovely fighting, and quit.

Yeah that's the one if you got to Freeport; I made a wizard, shot two rats and a goblin, and then that was it.

Everything looks SO bad in that loving game. The Asian models look a lot better but they still look rear end.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Yeah EQ2 looks like dogshit though the models made for the Asian market at least look KINDA okay.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
A reminder that the EQ1 Luclin models actually look better than the EQ2 models.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

DancingShade posted:

The best thing about failed mmos are the rapid holdout fans who defend them at all costs.

Some failed MMOs had decent ideas or concepts that really just are too drat niche or that just don't fit into the whole carrot and stick treadmill themepark style MMO that has dominated the market for so long.

But I also liked Earth and Beyond so what the gently caress do I know. I just wanted to fly a spaceship and shoot lasers at martians, man. :saddowns:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Crumpet posted:

Quoth the pot - I'm pretty sure anyone who plays an MMO is broken in some way, though. I know people who have quit MMOs and have moved onto more predatory gaming interests (mobile gaming...) because they scratch the same sort of itch.

I started playing Lord of the Rings Online recently because I finally got around to playing Shadows of Mordor, and all I've been doing is siting in one of the starting zones, planting onions and then selling them.

I'm the Onion King.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I played through EQ, Kunark, and Velious content, and let me tell you, there doesn't seem to be a single loving developer wanting to return to THAT poo poo or bragging they're ex-EverQuest developers. The fact there's people doing it for something similar is just amazing to me.

I get wanting to recapture your youth, wanting to replay the things you enjoyed, since I like to run through poo poo like Full Throttle every now and again, but some things just don't age well. Vanilla WoW was a slog, whether it was your first time or not, and a poo poo show in terms of game mechanics and balance. I'm just glad I was never the potion/elixir bitch because all of that time wasted gathering herbs for failed runs would have eventually driven me insane.

What exactly is the appeal of it? In all seriousness, what are people seeing in Vanilla WoW after all the things that have been done to make it more streamlined and balanced on the PvE end of things? Is it really just nostalgia and rose tinted glasses?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Leveling on quests alone? Not until the next expansion's XP requirement nerf. Enough money to afford a fast mount? Pfft, yeah fuckin right, enjoy your turtle speed.

It was always funny to me how, in comparison, EverQuest didn't really do a whole hell of a lot in quests beyond storylines and maybe some rare items. You sure as gently caress didn't do them very often for the experience, save for turning in belts or whatever at a super low level.

Hell, mounts in EQ didn't do much of anything, either, except let you regain mana while moving, or at least that's how it was when they first came out and when I quit.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

DarkstarIV posted:

Carbine is hiring on people for a new project:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/04/19/carbine-studios-is-hiring-for-an-unspecified-new-project/

I wonder what it could be. Probably Wildstar II, from the looks of the listings.
It'd be even funnier if that wasn't an April Fool's joke and was just a poorly timed press release.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

RottenK posted:

but what if I call my game's cash shop currency "hardcore points" and every time you buy them a pop up message appears and tells you that you are better than the people who don't obsessively dedicate their lives to videogames

yo does this game accept paypal, asking for a friend

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mizuti posted:

So that zone has a deadly combination of unbalanced power curve, generic level design, and long transit time. Peoples' descriptions of it make me think of 2007 era WoW and its despised expansion zone, Blade's Edge Mountains, except that this one isn't remotely interesting to look at.

Blades Edge was? It was a big brown splotch full of ravages and ogres.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Pierson posted:

the abilities didn't feel as fun to use as WoW's

Man I may be in the minority but WoW's abilities were loving drab since it was basically the same animations for everything, so this is a serious accusation.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
If I u know NH it I'd VA u,do u known UK for youiiiu Andi,,f

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Gildiss posted:

The brain tumor that caused John Dyne to install and play Wildstar is finally coming to take it's final toll.

Turns out if I don't lock my screen I CAN post on my phone with my rear end.

Sadly it appears the quality of the posts improved.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Asehujiko posted:

As of this writing Invective is in 52th on mythic tomb progress. So much for migrating to swipe some easy world firsts from the casuals.

That's pretty dogshit for a group claiming to take two weeks off just to raid 14 hours a day.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Holyshoot posted:

Hi there,

I am writing this mission statement in hopes of clarifying what Invective is, who we are, and what we plan to achieve in World Of Warcraft, and what we expect from our raiders. First things first, Invective is a US Raiding Guild located on the PvP Server Illidan. We plan to eventually give all other guilds a run for their money and clear content on a world first basis. We will require members to be able to take up to TWO ENTIRE weeks of work off per tier (not that the current mythic content would require you to do so, but we do expect you to be able to afford to day raid two weeks) A hardcore schedule would look like this : Tier drops Tuesday, we all get up bright and early for servers to come online, and raid all day with breaks, including a sleep break, Tuesday thru Sunday. Rinse & Repeat. This is subject to slight modifications depending on how we are doing on the tier.

Invective’s founders and core members all derive from Hardcore Raiding MMO Wildstar. We all have successful experiences racing for World Firsts with guilds such as Enigma. GM / RL Sky has experience theory-crafting, and making strategies. We believe in being honest with each other, and addressing player error straight on.

The point of this guild’s existence is as follows: Wildstar dying led to some Hardcore Wildstar raiders looking for a new wow guild. We have no interest in raiding our asses off to settle for some world top 10-20. We didn’t feel like we had a place in any other current US Raiding guild, as they all had things we didn’t like about them, for example Limit only day raids for a single day. We’re making this guild to race, and every week we will be bolstering the poo poo out of our roster, so be on point. It’s time for North America to get a hardcore day raiding guild.

Sky Moon,

GM/RL

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Amante posted:

Earth & Beyond was awesome. Died before its time, RIP

Like every other loving MMO out there, there's a private server/emulator for this which isn't TOO horrible but yeah.

The game was a lot more fun in my memories. You get about the same poo poo from playing Rebel Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Clarste posted:

That vision is playing Vanilla WoW forever, CUPCAKE.

You forgot THE EDGE.

• Locked thread