Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

inflatable fish posted:

absolutely loved the combat mechanics – yes, even though they turned pvp into one huge clusterfuck.

Even interrupt armor? I guess it makes sense if you want to have interrupting be a raid mechanic, but the cooldown coordination it required even for dungeons and some adventures felt like serious overkill. One of my biggest problems with the game was that it felt like you had to be "on" for 100% of the combat. That's fine if you're playing Bayonetta or something, but seems excessive for an MMO they're hoping people will spend 1000s of hours on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wasn't that basically what The Sims Online was? You try and decorate your house to be the most happenin' pad in town?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Asimo posted:

Honestly at the moment it's just Thoroughly Mediocre, which is probably more damning.

Yup, it's not (and was never) the worst MMO by a long shot, but why play a mediocre dying MMO?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Well they, do have to consider that a few months after launch most of the zones are only going to have 2 or 3 people in them at any given point.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeaugggh. That's one of those ideas that doesn't even sound good on paper.

Why? It worked great and people liked it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Byolante posted:

People who continued to play vanguard post release liked it. That's broken brained to start with. The concept of your healing only being as effective as your party member's willingness to do the correct thing is a second level of broken brain.

Ah, I was talking about Rift's chloromancer, don't know nuffin about Vanguard.

John Dyne posted:

Some failed MMOs had decent ideas or concepts that really just are too drat niche or that just don't fit into the whole carrot and stick treadmill themepark style MMO that has dominated the market for so long.

But I also liked Earth and Beyond so what the gently caress do I know. I just wanted to fly a spaceship and shoot lasers at martians, man. :saddowns:

Warhammer Online was great for this, a lot of great stuff ruined by a lot of terrible stuff. Although it might have still been decently playable had the population not plummeted so badly.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AlmightyBob posted:

It's hosed up how good the housing system was in wildstar considering the top 2 mmos, wow and ff14, have terrible housing.

Is Lineage not still the top MMO? How's the housing in that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mr. Neutron posted:

Space? There's no more space stuff in Wildstar than there is in WoW.

Hey now, the 1/3 of the moon zone that was actually moon themed was pretty cool!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CoffeeBooze posted:

I really liked Wildstar's aesthetic too. I think the really excellent music somehow jived really well with it. Wildstar is probably the only MMO I have ever played where I left the music on.

So much of Wildstar's zone design was generic fantasy though, thats for sure. But not just generic fantasy, but generic snow zone, generic jungle zone, generic grassland zone, etc etc. Stuff like the moon's surface part of Farside and shiphands were way to few and far between.

I kind of liked it, but then 90% of what they did with it was just stock videogame environments/characters so it was kinda squandered.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Maybe they saw the negative backlash from canceling CoH and are trying to avoid a similar situation. I mean, probably not, but maybe.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ponuh posted:

I like FFXIV but I have no idea why it's considered one of the best MMOs. It has a really cramped-feeling, unimmersive world with lots of hidden walls and loading, really bad world quests, tons of daily grinding requirements on random content without context, and of course the mandatory 40+ hour main story grind to be able to play with your friends. These things are all really bad no matter what your particular taste in MMOs is. But it's especially bad if you really like immersion and world exploration.

Part of its consistent hype is just because it's part of a really popular franchise. But I think most importantly to its praise as *the* MMO is the fact that it's patched much faster than anything else. I think this shows that above all, MMO players just want new poo poo as much as possible, and are anxious with the idea that content won't be delivered regularly. And I think it reveals something about the psychology of a lot of people who play these games: they dread the idea of running out of goals and being forced to stop playing, even temporarily. I think this is one of the saddest and shittiest parts of the genre. I've seen it in all the games I've played to some extent, but the most among FFXIV players, by far. Most players know the patch schedule 2-3 patches out; and it's all been so systematized with intermediate letters from the producer, etc. Everyone knows exactly what is in every patch before it's been released. So yeah, I think FFXIV is the paradigmatic MMO but mostly because it most fully indulges the worst desires of the MMO playerbase.

I'm not sure why you gotta use words like "dread", "anxious" and "indulging the worst desires". If I'm going to play a game for a long time I want new content to keep it interesting, no shambling terrors needed. Of course I personally haven't played an MMO for more than a month in about a decade...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Asimo posted:

Well the two big surviving subscription MMOs are WoW and FFXIV, so they're bound to come up eventually in MMO discussions. :effort:

And yeah it does some things really well but ultimately it's still just a well polished "traditional" fantasy MMO, with all that entails.

I feel like WoW comes up surprisingly rarely considering how much of the market it makes up. It's still there, and you can play it if you want, but what else is there to say? It's the NCIS of MMOs.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I feel like playing on PvP servers in theme park MMOs must be a thing people do because that's what Serious Gamers do but no one actually likes. Whitevale sucked on PvE servers too, it was simply huge and boring.

It was also home to that one herd of deer, which were probably the most overtuned solo questing enemies I've ever seen in an MMO.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pierson posted:

What I generally remember about RIFT is that everything about it was WoW but not quite. The world wasn't quite as compelling as WoW's, the combat wasn't quite as immediate as WoW's and the abilities didn't feel as fun to use as WoW's. The graphics also went for realism (or as much as they could manage) over a more stylised aesthetic so the art design wasn't even that notable. It's other features (housing and the rift system) were good but also easily adaptable into other MMOs which leaves basically only the soul system as the one major unique feature it had. Then the F2P bullshit got heaped on.

The goon house loving ruled though I'll give it that.

I thought a lot of it felt like "WoW, but better" at the time but WoW continued evolving (I assume) and it didn't. It also didn't have nearly the staying power, unsurprisingly.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I thought GW2 was pretty good if you just wanted a big open world to gently caress around in solo. Which is really all I do with MMOs these days anyway.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Colgate posted:

Between it and ESO, they both look pretty fun for that sort of thing. I haven't really played much GW2 since release, and never played ESO (it's a game that I avoided since it was kind of bad at launch apparently), and was probably going to try one of them after I shotgun the Dragon Age series.

I was going to play Secret World Legends, but that is looking like it's going to be a steaming pile of garbage, just by looking at its thread.

Yeah, I played ESO recently and it was also good for this. Unlike a lot of MMOs you actually have to pay attention to your gear and build when leveling if you don't want your character to suck butt.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think Skyforge attracted a playerbase that had fun for awhile but left before long because the endgame was super pointless (by MMO standards). So they majorly changed up the game and now it's just poo poo.

Xarbala posted:

The picture I'm getting is that Mark Kern was an idiot.

And reading the article it reminds me a lot of what's going on behind Star Citizen.

I remember hearing that Kern boasted that they had no real plan for Firefall and were just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what stuck. Apparently this was something to be proud of?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zil posted:

So warplots?

Speaking of which, are there actually any recordings of one being done? Or is it a case of done once by poopsockers and never again by anyone.

Yeah, I think there were a few times some guilds coordinated and actually got one to pop. Apparently the lag was so bad it was almost unplayable.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CoH was pretty cool and good when it came out but then WoW came out like a year later and made every other MMO look like garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

desudrive posted:

It's not TREMENDOUSLY HORRIBLE like most goons seem to shove down everyone's throats. Yeah, it's just okay.

It's not as bad as this thread makes it sound but it's not good either, and it's dying/dead so why play it?

• Locked thread