Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I was a sophomore in high school at the time, with the news starting to hit in between first and second period classes. Then by the time we got to 2nd period and got CNN going on the classroom TV, a 2nd plane had hit the towers. For some reason we all just kind of stayed in our 2nd period classes for the rest of the day and played cards until it was time to go home. It was mainly just a quiet day, not overtly emotional or anything. I remember flipping on MTV when I got home and they had the same handful of videos on repeat for the entire day. I think I saw the video for Nelly Furtado's "Turn Off the Lights" like 15 times that day.

My parents had left me at the house alone while they went to Key West the week before, so their trip ended up getting extended by another week while they tried to figure out travel arrangements. They decided to just rent a car in Key West and then slowly made the drive back up to Dallas. I skipped school on the 12th and 13th because hey, I was 16 and my parents were gone. No one asked me any questions when I got back (I didn't play it up as mourning or anything, just was my normal self). The school didn't even end up counting those days towards my missed day tally for the end of the year, so I was always curious how many other students just didn't go to class during those days.

Being a poo poo heel disaffected teenager at the time, I mainly remember how 9/11 effected my media stuff:

Slayer's "God Hates Us All" album came out that same day. On my way home from school I remember picking it up from the CD Warehouse and thinking about how crazy it was that it got released that day (the coming home to message boards to find hundreds of other people thinking the same thing).

Going to the movie theater to see Bubble Boy that night. That was the most empty I have ever seen a theater at night (or even during a week day). My brother and I were the only two people in our showing, but hey, that might have happened any way due to the content of the movie.

I was pretty excited for GTA 3 that fall, so I remember being really confused when I got my parents to take me to the mall on its release date to find out that they had pushed it back 3 weeks to take out the towers and flying.

I was also a fan of the band Live at the time and was excited for their "V" album. Their Overcome song from that album mixed with footage of 9/11 was on the air by September 13th. I know the video/single proceeds were supposed to go for charity, but man, it still feels like a pretty slimey thing to do only 48 hours later.

Then after the initial mourning period, Dallas rock stations were filled with dumbasses wanting to "bomb them all". They had Metallica's "Seek & Destroy" remixed with a Bush speech about retaliation and bombing the crap out of the Middle East that must have played every 30 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread