Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
TTY for the deaf and hard of hearing.

No idea what's going on until the calls start pouring in, people freaking out left right and center about airplanes crashing in NY. rear end in a top hat 'horrified to do anything that might look like an infringement on deaf people's rights to confidential calls' management threatening to fire anyone who says anything about the calls they're getting. Same assholes refusing to put up tvs so we know what the hell's going on. Same assholes refusing to let any real news distribute through the call center at all. 'interferes with the job'. Sitting in our isolated bubbles getting no real info on anything, unable to respond or interact with the calls in any way. Far, far too many calls going to dead lines in NYC. The calls that went to live people were mixed bag 'everything is ok' or 'your sister was in the building when it collapsed'. Probably worse - text is sterile and impersonal, having to talk like an emotionless robot to a live person expressing their grief? People WERE fired in my center for breaking confidentiality and demanding to know what the hell was going on. Management and supervisors monitoring calls heavily and writing out pink slips to people who reacted with 'unreasonable emotional outburst'.

We're weren't 911. We weren't trained to withstand the worst sort of torment and people panicking and all this crap.

Welcome to the second day on the job. Lessons learned - pay and benefits were far better than anything I could expect to find in any other job at my skill level, but I'd pay for it with my soul. Kind of made the calls where I had to talk to traumatized abuse victims being verbally harangued by their abusers somewhat tolerable in comparison. Made the touching heart to heart contacts of some of my favorite calls all the more rewarding.

At least I had the absolute worst that job could possibly ever throw at me early on. Fortunately management provided 'grief counselors' to handle PTSD after the fact when the initial panic had died down, probably the least they could have done after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread