Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I have a bit of a unique experience involving 9/11: I didn't experience it. My high school was a small private school which had a mandatory Monday-Friday backpacking trip through the wilderness. There was no civilization or central camp site, we camped where we stopped for the night until we met where the bus was waiting for us on Friday. As luck would have it, the trip was scheduled the week that 9/11 happened. Apparently the teachers found out with a radio (I don't know the details or if it was two-way) but they withheld that information from the students. Nobody learned about it until we got on the bus on Friday.

I've heard plenty of "where were you on 9/11" stories, which usually involve where they were when they learned about it, but what I want to know is what was the post-attack hysteria like? What were the first few days of the country/world like after an event like that without any real information or explanation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

AdorableStar posted:

Apparently I was on a plane heading home from somewhere where it happened, but I don't remember that event or anything surrounding the days after 9/11. I didn't know and I didn't care (Mostly because I was like 4 or 5?). I say this because I think it's an interesting contrast to put people whose lives were not directly affected and who did not care so much right next to people who remember every detail at the moment and worried about their families in New York City since a lot of people seem to imply it's that "one great event" that everyone remembers and was important for everyone.

Up until fairly recently, anybody not old enough to vividly remember 9/11 wasn't old enough to say anything of much value in public dialogue. For the decade-plus that had gone on since the attacks, that was exactly the case. Nobody 4-5 in 2001 was going to be saying anything about 9/11 that wasn't clouded with childhood naivety or over generalized teenage political opinions. Almost all of the significant writing about the event took place during that time.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

brylcreem posted:

During the attacks Big Brother (the TV-show) was going on here in Denmark.

The producers didn't tell the people in the house about the attacks, and I seem to remember there being some controversy about that fact. I do remember the producers saying that when people were voted off, they would take them into a room alone and tell them about the attacks. And they specifically said there would not be cameras present during that time.

How did you feel about the facts being withheld from you?

To be honest, I was pissed then for selfish reasons (I was bored as poo poo the whole trip and wanted ANYTHING to think about while hiking), and I'm kind of pissed now, but having done jobs managing high school students at a quazi-camp, I certainly understand now that the result of revealing that could be unpredictable. The reason I'm pissed now is that my dad was scheduled to be in one of the towers for a meeting in NYC on Tuesday, on a floor that a plane directly hit. The meeting was rescheduled last minute to be an hour later, and my dad heading to the Brooklyn Bridge when it happened. Everyone he was going to meet with died.

I don't recall being aware of that at the time, and I doubt the teachers were, but the fact stands that for all sakes and purposes my dad should have died that day.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Jeza posted:

Why do you now care 14 years later?

It was seen as a big deal, lots of coverage. I was young enough that I didn't differentiate it from any other world news disaster to be honest. I saw it happening on the news and went home and didn't think or care about it.

I guess I never really thought about it. People talking about their experiences with 9/11 almost always revolve around when they learned about it, and not the immediate aftermath. By the time I was back in civilization, there were still many more questions than answers, but there was still a lot more information on what was going on as the media and government had to an extent gotten their bearings.

9/11 started for me on late 9/14.

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 30, 2015

• Locked thread