Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Miranda posted:

I'm Australian and it was 11pm or so when things went down, my dad was awake but didn't get us up. I remember seeing something on the newsstands as I ran for the train in the morning. But I was playing in the band for someone's final exams so was in a rush. Then when we got to the music building they let us listen to the radio. But later the principal decided to not let us know ANYTHING and I was pissed. All 13 years old of me wrote her a scathing letter about how shittily I felt they handled the situation (with my English teacher parents blessing). We had a meeting about it but it was just bullshit. I was pissed though. I remember being home in the afternoon watching all the replays. Still haunting to watch to this day.

I get mad too though, at the still hatred toward Muslims. I traveled throughout the Middle East in 2008 and people still thing I was loving crazy. It was the greatest thing I've ever done. The people were endlessly kind and hospitable, excited I had come to visit their countries, which were beautiful. It makes me so goddamn angry whenever people bitch about Muslims. There are extremists in every walk of life. Now I live in the southern US so imagine the reactions I get when I tell people about my trip.

Australian too. I was already asleep. Dad woke me up at around 6am as he had shift work (air traffic controller, actually) and said the WTC towers had been destroyed, that they collapsed. I was a fan of tall buildings as a kid so I knew the towers, he said 'proper big' planes were hijacked and flew into them. I got up and had a shower and we watched the news while eating breakfast. All the tv channels here were basically just American news channels playing, cutting back to the Australian news shows every few minutes to inform people waking up of what had happened overnight and returning to CNN or whatever.

I went off to school (Year 7 at the time) and when I got to the train station there is a little coffee/newsstand inside the station building, which had a tiny tv up on the wall. Most days you'd have five or six people waiting for coffee or reading a paper while everyone else was on the platform. That day though, about 90 people were inside the tiny sheltered area watching the tv and other people on the platform were crowded around people who had bought a newspaper. When the train arrived it was similar, the normal pretty busy train but everybody was talking to eachother. This doesn't happen. School kids will talk to each other and everyone else will be quiet reading a book or the newspaper (before mobile phones were really super common, plus back then they were just phones) and one guy was reading the newspaper outline, which was one of those 3am 'late printing' special newspapers with the most up to date news.

Saw a few friends at the bus stop once I got out of the station and again, a normally quiet bus trip had people talking. We got into school and our home teacher had brought a tv into the classroom and we sat in a circle on the floor for most of the morning talking about what we'd all seen that morning or catching people up on what had happened. We learned that this was big news, most of my class was born a few years before the Berlin wall came down so we didn't remember that but were told a bit about that being a big life changing thing for the world and that this was similar.

Essentially a day of counseling, it expanded to other issues just so the class could talk about things until lunch, when most people in the schoolyards were talking about the news too, all our uneducated opinions of something on the other side of the world. One friend had the day off school because he was 'sick' and his parents had left him alone, presumably without knowing about what had happened overnight. He woke up late to watch tv and found it was all just news, on all the channels. So he turned it off and played computer games most of the day until the afternoon when he actually sat down infront of the tv and saw what had happened, because every channel was still news. Funnily enough he lives in Washington DC now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread