Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

I think this sums up my feelings from the day perfectly. Like, I saw the attacks in the afternoon on the news, thought 'that's really terrible', but didn't feel scared or anything or think the world was going to change overnight, which seems very different to a lot of Americans i've spoken to who felt that this was the end of the optimism of the 90's. I guess the 90's wasn't a great time for the UK, at least compared to the US - there certainly isn't the same kind of nostalgia for the 'bright future of the 90's' as some people have put it.

Was the last big terrorist attack in the USA the Oklahoma City bombing prior to this, or had there been any others in between? For people who remember the OKC bombing was it just the scale that felt different or something else?

Well, in the case of the Oklahoma City bombing, it was kind of an out of the way place, and it didn't really challenge American power in the way that trying to destroy the Pentagon was.

It was a bombing of an American government building by Americans, so when it came time to look for people to blame for the Oklahoma city bombings, you could only blame Americans.

With that said, I had a coworker who thought blowing up federal government buildings was a good start, and cheered at someone finally giving the federal government what for. I also had another coworker who used to work for the Oklahoma City government, and knew several people who died in the Oklahoma City bombing. There was a rather nasty bloody beat down fight in the middle of the office.

We managed to pull the Oklahoman aside, and convinced him to take it outside.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread