Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thaumaturgic
Jan 7, 2008
I was a freshman in high school on the west coast. Usually I had an early period that started around 6 am but for some reason it was cancelled that day so I was still at home when the planes hit.
I remember my mom woke us up after the first plane hit but we all thought it was an accident or just a small plane and kept getting ready for school. I definitely didn't think it was intentional and I remember the general vibe on the news was "this crazy thing happened, look at this dramatic fire, i'm sure they will put the fire out and everything will be fine...right?". I remember watching the coverage alone when the second plane hit live.

It was...just stunning. It didn't seem real at all. This kind of thing just didn't happen, and it especially never happened in America. I remember the news peoples reactions as they tried to process it. They literally didn't know what to say. I remember changing the channels from 2 to like 60 and literally every single channel was the news, even stuff like discovery channel and freaking HGTV were just showing CNN. My mom was a teacher so she had to go to work and my brother and I had to go to school.

It was probably the quietest day that high school will ever see. Every single class we just sat in silence and watched the news on TV. I remember my band teacher got some grief for not trying to teach anything that day and he just looked at them like "sit down, shut the gently caress up, this is history on the TV right now". It was really jarring to see Mr. Nice Guy band teacher basically going off on someone. There was just a lot of confusion and misinformation. No one had any idea how many more planes were hijacked or what cities were going to be attacked next. It was strange to see the facade of the news fall off since they were pretty much as clueless as the rest of us. I remember my jackass spanish teacher got bored of watching TV in class all day, walked over to the tv, said "You want to know what those people saw?" and just turned the TV off to a black screen. "That's what those people saw". I knew this guy was a jerk but that pretty much made me lose all respect for him after that.

It didn't really dawn on me that someone deliberately attacked the United States or that we were "at war". I even remember thinking "Theres no way any country would openly attack the US like that, we would loving bomb them straight into the stone age in 3 seconds". I remember people were super pissed off and wanted immediate vengeance but it was so frustrating since no one knew anything about why or who attacked us. I kind of knew that once we found out who was responsible that we were going to go ape poo poo on them.

I never really thought about how I felt that day or reflected on it. It was just so surreal. Its really sad looking back at all the awful poo poo that happened due to 9/11 like the Iraq war, patriot act and all the ridiculous poo poo we have to do now in the name of "homeland security" but in the aftermath it really felt like "we need to 100% support the government and let them get our revenge".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread