Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
I was taking night classes at a technical college and working a day job to pay for it. I didn't have work that day, so I woke up at around 10AM to go run errands and kill time before my classes that night. No one else was in the house, so I left without even turning on the TV. Found out from one of my neighbors while walking to the bus stop. Said "I'm going to pick up my kids from school... they bombed NYC and the Pentagon!". Called my folks who live in upstate NY to get hard facts, and they tell me it was a plane, not a bomb, and that my second cousin who works in the Pentagon had long been evacuated as was fine.

Without any other people I knew hanging around me to react to, and no TV, I was only a little disturbed. "drat, the World Trade Centers are gone" was about all I thought. I then went to get my hair cut. All the TVs in the hair salon were on MTV or something and no one seemed to care. Then I went to go shopping, but the mall started to close at around 3:00PM or so, so I headed home. I called my professor on the way back and he said that classes had been cancelled.

At around 6:00PM, I ended up at one of my neighbors houses, where everyone seemed to have gathered (it seemed like they wanted all their kids in one place?), and where I finally saw footage from that morning. "drat, that's hosed up" was about all I could feel. Then I saw Bush talking. Then another neighbor started passing around a xeroxed image of what was supposedly "the face of Satan" appearing in the smoke coming from the hole in one of the towers. Yeah.

As for the aftermath, I remember there being a nice Middle Eastern buffet in the shopping center downtown. First they stayed closed for a few days. Then, they had all their windows smashed in. Then, someone bought it, fixed it up, and renamed it a "World Buffet". That, too, was vandalized. Mosques all over started getting vandalized, threatened, etc. The few Muslim co-workers I had vanished. It was a poo poo show. At least I can say that seeing that made me want to treat people different than me with respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread