Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I was 24 and working in Central London (Tower Records in Piccadilly Circus). I was outside having a smoke when the anti-establishment Canadian woman from my department came up with a big grin on her face saying "have you heard the news? The World Trade Centre's been blown up!" This obviously not being normal news, I think my response was along the lines of 'why the gently caress do you think that's a good thing?' and went back down to the Offices to find out exactly what was going on. She would later deny ever saying this, especially given the backlash from me walking back in saying why is little miss smash the system laughing at a plane crash in the US to all and sundry, but gently caress her anyway.

At the time there was only our Art Dept mac and the Product Dept main computer with any decent net access, so I arrived to find everyone crowded round ours watching just after the second plane hit on CNN.com or somesuch. Then come the phonecalls and paranoia: stories abounded of a plane headed for Parliament/Buckingham Palace/Canary Wharf, everyone was fielding calls from loved ones about what they'd heard/are you going to be safe in that location etc etc. Most of the backroom staff went to the pub around 1pm and never came back, including myself, we all sat watching BBC news in the bar across the road.

Next few days were again filled with stories about what's going to happen next (and nobody could tell you exactly where or what source they got it from) involving more suicide planes/bombs etc, it was...strange. I felt more disconnected as it happened so far away, yet I'm also living/working in a prime terrorist target. Which it then became 6 years later with the 7/7 bombs. Can tell you about that day too if anyone's interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread