Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I'm from the UK and was 13 when the attacks happened. My mum told me about it coming out of school and I went straight home to watch the news on the TV. I distinctly remember thinking this was pretty big at the time, but kind of considered it like a natural disaster in another country. Something horrible, but a bit too far away to really affect us. The response in my school was definitely pretty muted - the July 7th London bombings 4 years certainly had much more of an impact on us at the actual time of the bombing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
For you Americans out there, how prevalent were opinions like this:

Kramer on 9/11 posted:

Not to belittle the signifigance of these events, but you do realize that this means a whole slew of "anti terrorist" and probably "anti violence" laws will be passed through congress.

Any "anti terrorist" laws will be given almost a blank check to do what is necessary. I'd be surprised if in 6 months you'll be able to make a domestic call without it being monitored.

That's the way terrorism works. It's not the attack that hurts most people. A couple of hundred people die -- every death is tragic, but the truth is the real tragedy will be the loss of freedoms for the survivors.

compared to this:

IRQ on 9/11 posted:

somebody will motherfucking pay

I've heard from a bunch of people that America basically went crazy for a bit after 9/11, but how did that actually manifest to you? It's an alien concept to me since even after the 7/7 attacks in the UK (obviously much smaller scale) there was not a real sense of hysteria at any point, and i'm curious about stories like the military being on lockdown and Tendai having to basically stay indoors for a week.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mezzanine posted:

Without any other people I knew hanging around me to react to, and no TV, I was only a little disturbed. "drat, the World Trade Centers are gone" was about all I thought. I then went to get my hair cut. All the TVs in the hair salon were on MTV or something and no one seemed to care. Then I went to go shopping, but the mall started to close at around 3:00PM or so, so I headed home. I called my professor on the way back and he said that classes had been cancelled.

I think this sums up my feelings from the day perfectly. Like, I saw the attacks in the afternoon on the news, thought 'that's really terrible', but didn't feel scared or anything or think the world was going to change overnight, which seems very different to a lot of Americans i've spoken to who felt that this was the end of the optimism of the 90's. I guess the 90's wasn't a great time for the UK, at least compared to the US - there certainly isn't the same kind of nostalgia for the 'bright future of the 90's' as some people have put it.

Was the last big terrorist attack in the USA the Oklahoma City bombing prior to this, or had there been any others in between? For people who remember the OKC bombing was it just the scale that felt different or something else?

• Locked thread