Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I was a 7 going on 8 year old Canadian child. My dad woke up me in sort of a panic saying that "today's a very scary day". I thought he was joking, so I asked him what was going on, expecting a joke answer. He then told me straightforwardly that a bunch of people hijacked a plane and crashed into the WTC. I immediately thought that this was cool and started making plane crashing noises only to be yelled at by my dad that this was serious. As we drove to school, my dad kept the radio on the news station. I remember thinking that this whole thing was bizarre. I didn't really understand what went on until much later in life. At school everyone was talking about the WTC and I think that my third grade teacher was trying to calm everyone down and answering questions. The loudspeaker came on and the principal asked everybody for a moment of silence. There were TVs replaying the news footage everywhere. I remember in the community centre where my daycare was held in that there was a big TV playing the news footage in the lobby.

Like I said, I didn't know what to think. I remember talking it out with my toys and my dad checking news sites on the Internet. I remember not playing this N64 game called Mickey's Speedway USA because I'd thought I'd show respect or something. On September the 10th, I wrote a journal entry about my guinea pigs and I remember getting a sticker for it. (I didn't do so well on last week's journal entry) It still is bizarre that one day I was writing about guinea pigs and the next day was 9/11. I remember everyone seeming so happy on September 10 2001. We were so unaware of what would be coming tomorrow. I remember on September 10 the weather was sunny and the very next day it was cloudy and drizzly. I always felt like I grew a bit older on September 11. In a way, I think that everyone else did as well. In the days that followed, I listened to the CBC for the first time and there were a lot of Americans singing their national anthem. I remember a newscaster describing a story in which red, white, and blue balloons were launched from someplace important during the singing of The Star Spangled Banner. I kept asking my mom who the bad guys were and she got angry because she didn't know. I don't think that anybody really did until much later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tendai posted:

I think that's probably where a lot of the irritating, BuzzFeed-style 90s nostalgia comes from. It's hard to describe just how different the cultural mindset of America is after that in terms of just, like, the general outlook on the future. Part of that is likely related to other things -- climate change wasn't being nearly so focused on, things like that -- but 9/11 was probably the single moment that defines the change from "the future is bright!" to "holy poo poo the world is dangerous everyone is out to get us" on a mass level in the US.

I also remember people complaining that the 2000s was the worst decade ever. Is that because of 9/11?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
3 out of 4 of those things were the result of the aftermath of 9/11 so yeah.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I also remember that I had a Occupational Therapist of some sort who was unable to get back home after her vacation because the planes were grounded right after the attack. I don't remember why my family and I needed her help. Also, my mom worked as an accountant in some publishing company and she remembers the customer service people getting bitched out whenever they phoned the U.S. on 9/11.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Commie NedFlanders posted:

The 90's was a wonderful decade to be a child.

Was it? It seems like all I hear about is stuff like Hey Arnold and Pete and Pete. I was born in '93 and we didn't have cable. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Back then, my dad mostly read The Economist and probably read CNN online for 9/11 info. He never went around going gently caress MUSLIMS like most people apparently. Maybe because we were Canadian? Dunno.

• Locked thread