Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dr Scoofles posted:

She sounds familiar. I was at work here in the UK when it happened and we all stopped to watch it on the telly. there was this guy called Billy who was a smug anti astablishment prick, he kept laughing and clapping his hands and whenever we called him an rear end in a top hat he just smugly said 'yeah I know'. That guy really hated Americans and we all really hated him.

Unfortunately I was kind of that arsehole back in 2001. In my defence, I was a dumb loving teenager, just turned 17 and didn't have a loving clue what I was talking about, but I still think back at what a dick I was with shame.

I was in High School at the time, the attacks would have happened around 2pm here in the UK & so I didn't hear anything until about 90 minutes later when I got home and put on the television. I remember that none of it felt real: at first I thought I was watching a movie, and I remember them talking about the towers having collapsed on the BBC but there was no video coverage of it, which at the time I thought was odd, why aren't they showing that but they are showing the planes going into the buildings on a loop? It didn't really twig at the time that people wouldn't have had a chance to be evacuated, that there were still thousands of people inside when they collapsed. I remember phoning a couple of friends and telling them to put on the TV and thinking about what we'd witnessed and a bit of fear about what happens next, though it's fair to say it ended up worse than any of us expected.

The other thing that stands out to me was the 12th September because I was going to a university open day with some friends from school, which was just an excuse to get the train to Glasgow and have a day out in the big city. Remember meeting up at about 6:30am at the train station and it was obviously all that we could talk about, the over-riding memory: one friend was terrified that a plane would fly into our train, despite the train line being mostly total wilderness and a train travelling at 55mph not exactly being the easiest target. It's all I really remember of the trip, his irrational fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread