Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Tendai posted:

There was also a Palestinian (I think) group who took credit for it in the initial hours but then denied it, I think? Or am I remembering things wrong.

EDIT: Yeah something like what Commubot said

Sometime during the first hour or so of the attacks an anonymous person called an Abu Dhabi newspaper to claim responsibility on behalf of...not the PLA it'll come to me...it's not. A Palestinian group. That group denied responsibility about an hour afterwards. There are a lot of recordings of the major American networks on youtube if you really want to experience what it was like for most people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfQI1ohBS8A

I've since become deeply ashamed of my response to 9/11. I was 18 and going through an aggressively anti-American stage. So my reaction was a very muddled mixture of excitement, fear, confusion and morbid curiosity. It's important to note that this all happened just after millennium fever when apocalyptic beliefs were all over the place. I distinctly remember thinking "This is the beginning of the end of the world." I suppose there's still time for history to prove me right on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Tendai posted:

I don't think this was an unusual belief; the US hadn't had an attack of that sheer organizational scope since what, Pearl Harbor, if I'm not forgetting something. Oklahoma and other bombings were horrible but they didn't have the planning or the scale. I remember talking to my mom, who was born in 1947, and she commented that the feeling for her that morning was kind of like the Cuban Missile Crisis when she and many, many others assumed war was on the way, that kind of horrified, detached "Oh, well, it's all going to poo poo now and I can't do anything to stop it." And during that there weren't even overt attacks.

It was the Pentagon getting hit that turned it from (ugh) a really cool spectacle happening on TV to a bunch of Americans I felt deserved it anyway to "Holy poo poo this is not good this is really really not good oh gently caress I have no frame of reference for something like this happening." It really played on my mind for a long time afterwards. I even got into conspiracy theories for a few years after because it was so out of left field and so God damned BIG that I just couldn't accept the idea of it being nothing more than a well coordinated terrorist attack. That governments flat out and blatantly started lying to everyone to convince them that Al Qaeda was somehow an existential threat to Western nations didn't help either. Watching 9/11 live on tv was traumatic. Watching the world decent into lunacy was outright terrifying.

• Locked thread