Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I was in school having morning football practice when the planes hit. Being outside and out of earshot from any announcements, none of us including the coaches knew about it. I think we went inside shortly after the 2nd plane hit.

We were all goofing around in the locker room getting dressed for class when our coach came in and told us simply that two planes were hijacked and flown into the World Trade Center. He emphasized that it was intentional and a Big Deal.

I didn't know what to think, and not having seen pictures yet I didn't know how significant it was. I still had the sense that it was some far away news event that adults would care about but quickly the other kids started talking about Russia or China attacking and if this means we are in a war now.

I remember still joking around while we sat in the gym, it seemed the school day was going to continue normally and there was an announcement made telling teachers to proceed with planned activities and not to watch tv. There was a little comfort in that but that quickly faded as we transitioned to the next class. I noticed all of the other students who seems to know more about it had a sense of panic and I noticed the grim expressions on every adult.

My next period teacher was crying and turned on the tv and I saw my first glimpse of the towers burning. I remember thinking it looked bad but not as bad as everyone seemed to think but as reports came in of grounding all flights and some planes still missing I realized that we were still under an active attack. This is when it became scary for me.

I don't remember the rest of the school day other than everyone wanting to go home and watch tv. When I finally got home I was glued to the television. By then they were showing so many images of the buildings falling and people running from debris. It all seemed so incredibly spectacular it was hard to accept that this was reality, but during one report they had firefighters talking and you could hear the loud thuds of people's bodies falling from the buildings. That sound made me feel sick.

For the next few days everyone was on edge. Now that I think about it, from this point on I started watching the news regularly.

There were several scares in the years after what with anthrax and such, but the next time I remember feeling afraid from the news was in 2003 in the weeks leading up to the Iraq war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

porfiria posted:

The tenor of some of the comments is going to reflect the fact that a lot of posters here were, like, 12 when it happened. So take the "we were living in a time of peace and then it was a time of DARKNESS" with a grain of salt.

The 90's was a wonderful decade to be a child.

• Locked thread