Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i was at a kind of hick school at the time and while we all knew something was going on nobody really knew what and the first reports were kinda garbled, so everyone decided the Russians had launched a cruise missile strike and taken out the White House as well as the Pentagon and WTC and we were all gonna get Red Dawned until a couple hours later

I figure most of the crazy truther theories out there had their genesis in some game-of-telephone elaboration of that first brief stretch of news stations just saying poo poo because they didn't really have a complete story yet but had to report something

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

For you Americans out there, how prevalent were opinions like this:

compared to this:

I've heard from a bunch of people that America basically went crazy for a bit after 9/11, but how did that actually manifest to you? It's an alien concept to me since even after the 7/7 attacks in the UK (obviously much smaller scale) there was not a real sense of hysteria at any point, and i'm curious about stories like the military being on lockdown and Tendai having to basically stay indoors for a week.

remember when noted controversy rear end in a top hat Bill Maher lost his TV show because he finally went too far in mentioning that maybe 'cowardly' wasn't an epithet that applied to guys who are willing to charge a planeload of people with a boxcutter and die for their beliefs

yeah

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

like i heard plenty of both sentiments expressed in private, sometimes both from the same person, but for a year or so there you would definitely lose everything if you said one of them in public

• Locked thread