Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Lots and lots of muslims got beat up too, the heavy reporting of the Sikhs was mostly really lovely "and he didn't even deserve it! that is the weird thing about this!" type stories that had a really dark undertone. Like those were the sum of the ones that outraged people, not the sum of the attacks that happened.

I don't remember any of that about muslims. I wouldn't be surprised if a few assaults happened, but not "lots and lots". I do remember one Sikh that was killed.

I got to work that day right at 9AM, sat down in a common area, opened my laptop, and somebody popped their head in and said "a buddy of mine just said a plane hit the world trade center!" We all scrambled online to see the news, of course most of the sites were getting hammered. Smart people wouldn't go to https://www.cnn.com but robots.cnn.com which was for search engines and worked better. I believe I lurked on SA and followed the thread. Shortly thereafter we learned that TWO planes had hit -- obviously no accident. Then a plane that hit the Pentagon, and we all knew people who worked there. At one point someone came by and said "I just heard San Francisco was hit". I had a feeling we were getting into a phase where rumors would be passed off as fact, but I didn't know for sure. By that point anything was plausible. We worked under the Dulles flight paths, and it was eerie not seeing any planes in the air (they'd all been grounded by mid morning). Though actually seeing a plane might have been worse. At some point I was outside or something and all my co-workers got together and went to a nearby restaurant that had a TV so they could keep up with events. I walked back in and no one was around. I emailed my girlfriend and called my parents to let them know I was ok since I sometimes flew to or from Boston and Dulles. Finally around 2pm I just left.

I put a tape in my VCR and just recorded the news for 6-8 hours. I was totally mind blown for three or four days just trying to process all the events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

GWBush met with some Sikh organization to show support (both ways) a couple weeks after 9/11.

• Locked thread