Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I was a freshman at college. I got out of class that morning and there was a crowd of people watching TVs in the hallways. This was strange in itself because those TVs weren't used for anything but showing powerpoint slides with school announcements - "this class is canceled" or "deadline to get student aid applications in is..." or whatever. They were showing CNN, which had never happened before and crowds were gathering around them. I got the gist of it and headed back to my dorm. I woke my roommate up and told him that a plane hit the WTC and he said "You're loving with me." so I turned on the TV in our room and we spent most of the day watching news on this tiny little TV that was sitting on an uneven stack of books. Classes got cancelled and there was a candle light vigil but I think in general no one really knew what to do or how to feel.

MikeCrotch posted:

For you Americans out there, how prevalent were opinions like this:

compared to this:

I've heard from a bunch of people that America basically went crazy for a bit after 9/11, but how did that actually manifest to you? It's an alien concept to me since even after the 7/7 attacks in the UK (obviously much smaller scale) there was not a real sense of hysteria at any point, and i'm curious about stories like the military being on lockdown and Tendai having to basically stay indoors for a week.
I was in the former camp, but most people were in the latter. I was in the middle of my libertarian phase so after the shock wore off I became worried that this would lead directly to a curtailing of civil liberties. I was definitiely in the minority though, there's a reason the patriot act passed the senate on a 98-1 vote. The lone opposing vote was Russ Feingold, who would become a bit of liberal icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread