Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Honest question: how many Muslims in North America wear turbans on a regular basis? None that I've ever met. If you were an ignorant rear end in a top hat looking to attack people that looked like those folks from Afghanistan you saw on the TV, you were 99% likely to be attack a Sikh person. Maybe it's just because we have a large Sikh population in Canada, but if I saw a man wearing a turban, my first thought would not be "Muslim."

To answer the question: I was in junior high at the time. My mom woke me up right after the second plane hit the WTC and basically said, "get out here, you need to see this. The world has changed." Everyone was fairly freaked out and we got to watch TV news coverage all day at school. Being in Western Canada, I don't think anyone I knew then had any connections to New York, but I've since become friends with someone who was scheduled to work that day in one of the buildings that was hit, and didn't. He moved back from NYC to Calgary the following week, he told me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

porfiria posted:

The tenor of some of the comments is going to reflect the fact that a lot of posters here were, like, 12 when it happened. So take the "we were living in a time of peace and then it was a time of DARKNESS" with a grain of salt.

Tendai posted:

I don't know, I find that interesting as someone who was an adult and who didn't really know anyone that age when it happened. Hearing the different reactions is pretty interesting; I had the luxury of being able to look at it with relatively adult perspective (well, inasmuch as one can be an adult at 18), and put it in context with the USS Cole and the embassy bombings, but younger kids? Yeah I can see where that would have seemed pretty jarring and unexplained.

I was 12 at the time, and I still remember the USS Cole bombings and the embassy bombings (even being Canadian), although obviously I lacked a certain degree of context regarding exactly who these people were and why they were pissed off at the US. I recall the Taliban had already been in the news for some time before 9/11, though I can't remember exactly why (destruction of the Bamiyan Buddhas, I think?). I don't think I was surprised that there were bad people doing bad poo poo in the world, but rather that they would strike against a purely civilian target, and could strike at the symbolic heart of American power so successfully, and I think a lot of people of all ages were surprised by that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Violet_Sky posted:

Was it? It seems like all I hear about is stuff like Hey Arnold and Pete and Pete. I was born in '93 and we didn't have cable. :(

The economy was good, communism was defeated, and we didn't have to worry about terrorists yet.

• Locked thread