Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tuesday nights on FOX.

Fear not those who thought new comedy outings for the 15/16 season were looking a bit weak, for Rob Lowe is back to save us once again.

Plot stuff: DEAN SANDERSON (Lowe) spent eight seasons playing the title role on the hit legal drama “The Grinder.” Now he’s moving back to his hometown of Boise, Idaho, where his brother, STEWART (Emmy Award and Golden Globe Award nominee Fred Savage, “The Wonder Years”), is a real-life attorney who is poised to take over the family law firm. It doesn’t take long for Dean to start injecting his TV drama into every aspect of Stewart’s life, both in the courtroom and at home, impacting Stewart’s wife – and Dean’s high school sweetheart – DEBBIE (The Waitress, possibly a drinker); their two kids, 15-year-old LIZZIE (Hana Hayes, “Bucket and Skinner’s Epic Adventures”) and 13-year-old ETHAN (Connor Kalopsis, “Days Of Our Lives”); and Dean and Stewart’s father, the law firm’s head, DEAN SR. (William Devane, “24: Live Another Day”).

I stole all that because it meant I didn't have to remember people's names and things, and it made my two line summary look poo poo in comparison.

Anyway, there's not really much to say right now. The pilot is good and funny, you should watch it if you like good and funny things. Here's a 3 minute trailer that is essentially an (older version of) the pilot and spoils most of the jokes if you want to ruin it for yourself rather than just watching the episode in full:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mybEO-Hb0Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Rob Lowe is awesome, Fred Savage not so much.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
The only Rob Lowe show you should watch this year....

So, I was just reading that the showrunner got canned a while back. Does anyone know what that was all about?

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

This is pretty great. Savage is a good straight man but he kinda got edged out by Kumail Nanjiani as the opposing lawyer.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I hope Nanjiani recurs a lot because he kills it in the pilot.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Solid 7/10. I think this'll be pretty great once it gets into a groove.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

LoG posted:

Rob Lowe is awesome, Fred Savage not so much.

You. Out!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Only 10 minutes in and I'm already loving this. Lowe is awesome and I didn't know the waitress was in this.

#BestFriends #Teenlife

JD
Jan 11, 2003
guys he said "litrally"!!

This was ok, I'll give it a shot

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Just watched the premier and thought it was decent. They need to give Fred Savage's character more depth.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Zaggitz posted:

I hope Nanjiani recurs a lot because he kills it in the pilot.

He kills it in everything.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Digital Jedi posted:

#BestFriends #Teenlife

I cackled so hard at this. Rob Lowe is amazing.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think I'm going to watch Roy Donovan now.

"You...just...did."

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I wasn't really expecting to like this but the positive feedback here led me to check out the pilot and it was pretty solid. Seems like the concept could get old pretty fast but we'll see how long they can drag the joke out.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Will they?

Won't they??

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I still think this program is exceedingly funny.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
This show perfectly documents the life of Ben Savage's brother. I think Fred Savage played a rapist once on tv, but has been otherwise overshadowed by Ben.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No new episode tonight, but in better news - @maskedscheduler is reporting that the show has been picked up for a full season. Celebration!

Grinder rests.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
"This show'll never get a full season!"

"... But what if it does?"

"How do I even argue against that?"

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

EL BROMANCE posted:

No new episode tonight, but in better news - @maskedscheduler is reporting that the show has been picked up for a full season. Celebration!

Grinder rests.

I hope that they have an episode about "The Grinder" trying to get a full season.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Digital Jedi posted:

I hope that they have an episode about "The Grinder" trying to get a full season.

Sanders & Yao is in financial trouble, and if they lose the current case they may have to close down. Dean watches the Season 1 Finale of The Grinder, when Grinder had to fight for a television show to stay on the air (as a metaphor for the show The Grinder to get a second season) and has an epiphany that wins the case for Sanders & Yao.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Lmao, Toby is older than me!

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
This is still pitch perfect, Rob Lowe what a guy :allears:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

"One of the more competent legal dramas in quite some time"

Mods... Please...

The episode title had a French translation parenthesised so I was totally hoping this weeks Grinder episode flashback would be dubbed in French. They definitely have to do that at some point.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
"Its Ethan!"

Also, I like Zadak.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think this weeks ep kinda help reduce my concerns that while great at the moment, can it last a few seasons. Felt different enough to previous plots, and was genuinely funny all the way through. Goddamn Rob Lowe just kills it, constantly.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was a little down on the most recent play episode but the dad fading into the shadows at the end redeemed the entire thing.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I was a little down on the most recent play episode but the dad fading into the shadows at the end redeemed the entire thing.

"SHADOW BOYS"

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Goddamn Rob Lowe just kills it, constantly.

He is a treasure and the rest of the cast plays off him really well too, I'm in love with this show :allears:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The Tim Olyphant guest appearance killed me. This show is hilarious and more people should be watching it.

"Show a little bit of your penis."
"I already tried that."

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Tortolia posted:

The Tim Olyphant guest appearance killed me. This show is hilarious and more people should be watching it.

"Show a little bit of your penis."
"I already tried that."

Everybody should watch this, it is just pitch perfect.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Boatswain posted:

Everybody should watch this, it is just pitch perfect.

There is no reason not too after this one.

Tim Olyphant and Jason Alexander were perfect.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I was wondering if this show had a thread :)

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
I just watched the latest episode of this and it was hilarious. This show is only getting better. :)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

These bastards. Rob Lowe brought the Grinder to life, damnit.

This show is so great.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Costanza & Olyphant :roflolmao:

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I always look forward to this. Olyphant is perfect.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Loved that ending with Olyphant and Claire.

I hope the two girlfriends for Ethan work out.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I now have to believe that Tim Olyphant played Raylan Givens with the same dedication that he played Rake Grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"Who would want to watch a show about The Grinder's less famous less popular brother?

I think there could be an audience for that.

• Locked thread