Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Tortolia posted:

I now have to believe that Tim Olyphant played Raylan Givens with the same dedication that he played Rake Grinder.

Olyphant is seem like the most casual dude in interviews and stuff, except when it comes to the Rake I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Isn't Olyphant supposed to be the biggest douche-actor on the planet? Who was it that told horror stories about him, Kevin Smith?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Isn't Olyphant supposed to be the biggest douche-actor on the planet? Who was it that told horror stories about him, Kevin Smith?

Well according to the rules of Entourage, if a celebrity is willing to be portrayed as a douchebag on the show, he is generally cool in real life. If they demand to be shown in a good positive light in order to appear they are generally an rear end.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Kurt Sutter seemed to really hate Tim but that seemed more borne out of jealousy towards the fact that he was getting producer credit on Justified.

Thing is the ideas that Tim was bringing to the show were great ones and they weren't purely about making him look good. Everyone he was actually working with seemed to get along well with Tim.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Man, my two favorite TV actors right now are Olyphant and Nanjiani....are they both regulars or cameos?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tortolia posted:

Kurt Sutter seemed to really hate Tim but that seemed more borne out of jealousy towards the fact that he was getting producer credit on Justified.

Thing is the ideas that Tim was bringing to the show were great ones and they weren't purely about making him look good. Everyone he was actually working with seemed to get along well with Tim.

If Kurt Sutter hates someone its probably because they told him to his face what they think. Sutter's reputation as a great writer/showrunner was off of being involved in the best parts of The Shield, but that was only because Shawn Ryan kept shutting Sutter down when he tried to pitch his weird and terrible ideas (ex. internet rumor was Sutter wanted a story line where Vic raped a dude to prove how badass he was, the other writers refused and Ryan rejected it) and getting Sutter to focus on the really great stuff he thought up and developed.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't expect to like this show, but I watched the first episode tuesday, and just finished catching up to the latest episode.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JakeP posted:

Didn't expect to like this show, but I watched the first episode tuesday, and just finished catching up to the latest episode.

Or did you?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

This show got really good once it embraced the meta aspects of Dean's former career.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
You mean in the opening moments of episode 2, where they're watching the second episode of The Grinder and Dean comments on how difficult it is to open the 2nd episode of a show?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I felt like it improved quite a bit when they just let Dean be a presence at the firm instead of purely going "Well, he played a lawyer on TV so he is good at bullshitting real judges".

Not that it wasn't great when he got their traffic ticket thrown out but I think they do better when they let the comedy be a result of his personality from his years in Hollywood instead of the real vs fake lawyer thing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I feel like a bad person for laughing when Olyphant literally had sex over the Grinder's dead body. :stonklol:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

That was at least two layers of fiction though. I'm pretty sure it doesn't count.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Confirmed crossover with CW's Supernatural:

https://twitter.com/JensenAckles/status/689565732800073729

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
After seeing how well they used Tim Olyphant I am ok with other Hollywood crossovers.

eclectic taste
Jun 5, 2004

Future Schmidt
I was really hoping for a West Wing reference. Did I miss it?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

eclectic taste posted:

I was really hoping for a West Wing reference. Did I miss it?

I don't think so, but Toby was guest starring.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I love this show so much. Even the kids are perfect.

Grinder with the beard was fantastic

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
"I was looking forward to achieving and maintaining an erection with you."

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Holy crap this is an awesome show. I caught the new episode last night and now I'm binging through the season. I'll probably wake up late for work tomorrow but gently caress it this show is great

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
I think tonight was my favorite episode so far. The cast is clearly having a lot of fun.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This show might have the best cast chemistry I've ever seen. The Judge is absolutely perfect and his jumping in to moderate the Grinder vs. Olyphant case where it was literally just them making grand dramatic line readings.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Man, Timothy Olyphant is awesome. And the judge was just perfect.

Show is such fun.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Dean teaching Tim how to act angry is hilarious given the roles that Tim is known for.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I'm was expecting more flips in this episode considering Colton Haynes was in it. Then again, they might've all been cut.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Man, the daughter's boyfriend (who's 14-16?) is already balding? That excess growth hormone in meat is really impacting today's kids.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

So whats the deal with Dean's guillotine necklace?

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

hangedman1984 posted:

So whats the deal with Dean's guillotine necklace?

they'll probably make a joke at some point about how the grinder is truly the judge, jury....and executioner

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
seriously loving this show and still in disbelief at how much better it is than i ever thought it could be, rob lowe absolutely kills it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hah Pam Beasly.

lol the musical cue when he starts to read the Grinder script

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Jason Alexander with hair was awesome.

The long hair Lowe has looks so bad and I love it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
no clue why this show isn't getting more love on here it's the best new network comedy since brooklyn 99

I still laugh every time dean uses 'grind' in a dramatic monologue, it really should not still be funny

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Walrus posted:

no clue why this show isn't getting more love on here it's the best new network comedy since brooklyn 99

I still laugh every time dean uses 'grind' in a dramatic monologue, it really should not still be funny

I agree, it's really my current new favorite. I just wish all 4 of the shows I like were on the same night :(

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

The Walrus posted:

i assume its because its on network tv, i don't know of anyone else irl who watches or even knows about it, seriously loving rob lowe

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Holy poo poo this week's episode was fuckin' magnificent

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
drat, I looked previously and didn't see a thread for this show. I loving love The Grinder, it makes me smile from beginning to end. Rob Lowe and Fred Savage play perfectly off one another. This is one of those shows where I feel like if I could only get people to watch a few episodes but they are like, 'Rob Lowe, are you serious?' My wife thinks he's a douchebag but my kids love the show.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
I love this show so much. Like it feels like they are basically making the same joke every episode but I don't think they've had a bad episode yet.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
The Grind is over.
http://www.avclub.com/article/fox-also-cancellation-spree-kills-grandfathered-an-236708

Did really enjoy the series and the final episode. Sad to see it go.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

That's really unfortunate, because while I thought the court case took a little long to resolve they did manage to wrap it up in a pretty satisfying way. This was great show with a cast that clicked like it was already in it's 3rd season and really smart writing. It will be missed :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I laughed when the case was resolved through a side story. Show was too brilliant for its own good.

• Locked thread