Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I like Kudellia's new hairdo.

Also, i'm excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

26 episodes confirmed for second season?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

26 episodes confirmed for second season?

Not confirmed, but should probably be assumed. When Gundam does multiple seasons, they're almost always the same length.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I think I mentioned it before, but something I really liked about the first season is how, despite it being a game of Bastard Chess, nobody in the show had the same plan midway through the season as they had at the start. Everybody, especially McGillis, just kept adjusting to deal with the fact Tekkadan was really loving good at not dying. Felt much better to have people shown as clever masterminds because they go "Oh, poo poo. This changes everything. How do I use this?" as opposed to "Ha! Just as I planned all along!"

Hope that keeps up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
More details on S2 from ANN, and supporting info pulled off the official website by someone who speaks Japanese.

Holy poo poo, McGillis really is flying Carta's old suit.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I guess this image really is appropriate then

http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/2328003

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Darth Walrus posted:

Holy poo poo, McGillis really is flying Carta's old suit.

Hahaha McGillis is the best Gundam villain.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

McGillis is a bastard, in every sense of the word, and it's a pleasure to watch him work.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

quote:

ASW-G-11 Gundam Gusion Rebake Full City

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

In other words, Akihiro's decided to go for coffee and walnut cake. Good taste, that man.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Is this fair? He's an antagonist to the main team for sure, but means to ends he's a much better person than most of the power brokers we've seen. Or at the least his goals appear to be on the noble side.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

Is this fair? He's an antagonist to the main team for sure, but means to ends he's a much better person than most of the power brokers we've seen. Or at the least his goals appear to be on the noble side.

We have no idea what McGillis goals are beyond the vague 'reform Gjallerhorn' concept which could mean a hell of a lot of things.

(Plus "a guy who does terrible things for theoretically noble goals" isn't opposed to also being a villain. Hell, I'd say that is most villains these days.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hell, a blonde-haired dude who manipulates and kills a purple-haired 'friend' to strike against the organization said 'friend' belonged to in a ruling capacity isn't particularly new Gundam territory either. And it's not like it was heroic back then either.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Hell, a blonde-haired dude who manipulates and kills a purple-haired 'friend' to strike against the organization said 'friend' belonged to in a ruling capacity isn't particularly new Gundam territory either. And it's not like it was heroic back then either.
Hey now, there was immense controversy last time this was brought up. It alienated newcomers to Gundam or something.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So the thing is, we've got to look ahead. McGillis is interested in reforming Gjallarhorn by which he means "increasing the power of me, McGillis, in Gjallarhorn". He doesn't give a poo poo about our heroes in Tekkadan except in how he can use them to further his own goals. He certainly hasn't shown any inclination that he feels that Gjallarhorn itself is irredeemable or has lived far beyond its usefulness. No, McGillis only wants to be the guy on top of the aristocracy to ensure that his ham-handed peers don't bring down the whole thing through incompetence.

Why does that make him a villain?

Because in the long run, Kuldelia ain't going to settle for rearranging the deck chairs on the good ship Gjallarhorn. Eventually she's going to try to bring the whole thing down to liberate everyone from the aristocratic dicks in space, and Tekkadan's going to be the tip of her spear when she does so. In turn, McGillis is going to have to defend Gjallarhorn, from which all his power springs, which will put him in direct antagonism with Kudelia and Tekkadan.

I expect Season Two will be all about this divergence of interest, and depending on whether they plan on a Season Three will either end with a final battle between Mika and McGillis to destroy/save Gjallarhorn, or if there is another season, then S2 will end with both sides realizing that the jig is up and gearing for war with one another.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Yawgmoft posted:

McGillis is the bad guy because he casually tricks he friends/subordinates into either getting rid of their ideals or pushing their buttons to trick them into suicide by Mika all to gain personal power. In the final fight he reveals to his best friend that he's the one that sent their mutual Bestie/crush to her death and taunts Galigali with the fact that he'll still control his sister after all this fighting is done. Macky follows this up by repairing dead Crushes mecha to pilot as the biggest posthumous gently caress you possible.

He's the bad guy even if there's more instantly antagonistic people in the show. The next season needs to end with Orga or Mika putting one through the back of his head like those guys in episode 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McGillis could have entirely optimistic, forthright and arguably noble goals and still be a villain due to his actions and his internal motivations for it. Char (to go back to that) eventually wanted to drop a rock on Earth to break the back of the corrupt Federation government and further humanity's evolution into Newtypes while simultaneously hoping that dragging humans off Earth would eventually allow the planet to recover from the damage humans caused to it. He also wanted to have his pissy slapfight with Amuro but stll.

McGillis, whatever else, seems to take honestly perverse pleasure in loving people over. He waves the flag of regret but it's hard to deny that he seemed to enjoy loving over his dad. That I would say is the major flaw he has. Kudelia is genuine. She is ignorant and flawed but she is wholehearted in her desires. McGillis might have upstanding plans but he seems to take a genuine hands-on pleasure in loving things over. I feel like his Yugioh Mask is supposed to look ridiculous and ostentatious and kind of betray that he has more going on than just being a Hard Choices Good Guy

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 6, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Lets not forgot him transforming Ein into a horrible abomination. (While tricking Ein's friend into letting him do it. Under the pretense of it just being medical help.) Just so it would cause uproar about Gallarhorn being willing to do that to it's soldiers.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lets not forgot him transforming Ein into a horrible abomination. (While tricking Ein's friend into letting him do it. Under the pretense of it just being medical help.) Just so it would cause uproar about Gallarhorn being willing to do that to it's soldiers.

I didn't notice that much difference.

Well, okay, he was actually able to win a fight.

...although he still failed to kill anyone, so I guess he stayed a fuckup right to the end after all.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

McGillis could have entirely optimistic, forthright and arguably noble goals and still be a villain due to his actions and his internal motivations for it. Char (to go back to that) eventually wanted to drop a rock on Earth to break the back of the corrupt Federation government and further humanity's evolution into Newtypes while simultaneously hoping that dragging humans off Earth would eventually allow the planet to recover from the damage humans caused to it. He also wanted to have his pissy slapfight with Amuro but stll.

McGillis, whatever else, seems to take honestly perverse pleasure in loving people over. He waves the flag of regret but it's hard to deny that he seemed to enjoy loving over his dad. That I would say is the major flaw he has. Kudelia is genuine. She is ignorant and flawed but she is wholehearted in her desires. McGillis might have upstanding plans but he seems to take a genuine hands-on pleasure in loving things over. I feel like his Yugioh Mask is supposed to look ridiculous and ostentatious and kind of betray that he has more going on than just being a Hard Choices Good Guy

It's important to note, when McGillis had two options that could lead to reform, he picked the one where he personally murdered his best friend. And he didn't even do it in a "I am ashamed of my actions here, and take no pleasure in them" way. He bragged to GaliGali's face about how he'd set things up.

Even if his overall goals are noble, he enjoys loving people over, and somehow I don't think the good folks at Tekkadan are going to get a special exemption. Especially not with all the effort put into contrasting Mikazuki and McGillis.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

McGillis was a more interesting antagonist before he became a cartoonish Char knockoff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Microcline posted:

McGillis was a more interesting antagonist before he became a cartoonish Char knockoff.

The thing is, they've done some clever stuff with that, too. His mask-wearing, red-suit-flying persona, for instance, is an unpleasant but entirely reliable ally of our heroes for the brief time it exists, and rather than just sliding back into directionless doldrums after Garma'ing Gaelio, he immediately leverages it to become king poo poo of the universe. As I've said before, that's a huge step away from Char and most of his clones. It's very rare for them to have an actual will to power - usually, they're weapons for a higher authority, and that's how they like it. Any authority of their own they get is usually thrust upon them, rather than actually sought. Char in particular was a very conflicted character, torn between his love of a simple soldier's life and his obligations to preserve his father's ideology and avenge his death. McGillis, on the other hand, is barely conflicted at all - he both wants and feels obligated to get his vengeance on his father and heal Gjallarhorn, and if that involves making a few sacrifices, well, that's a mild disappointment, but no big deal. Everything he does is based on his ruthless, single-minded pursuit of these two goals. I don't even believe he took any pleasure out of killing Gaelio - taunting him was an obvious tactic to keep a vastly tougher, stronger opponent from thinking straight so that he could easily take him apart. It was just another step on the path.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't even believe he took any pleasure out of killing Gaelio - taunting him was an obvious tactic to keep a vastly tougher, stronger opponent from thinking straight so that he could easily take him apart. It was just another step on the path.

Who was that? It certainly wasn't Galieo like you appear to be implying, since he was not only an inferior pilot in an inferior unit, he was already defeated when McGillis taunted him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Char in particular was a very conflicted character, torn between his love of a simple soldier's life and his obligations to preserve his father's ideology and avenge his death. McGillis, on the other hand, is barely conflicted at all - he both wants and feels obligated to get his vengeance on his father and heal Gjallarhorn, and if that involves making a few sacrifices, well, that's a mild disappointment, but no big deal.

This isn't really an accurate comparison at all. Char wasn't conflicted. He knew exactly what he wanted to do and on top of that had an ego large enough to want to prove he could do it. Every version of Char is driven by his ego. He doesn't just want to win he wants to prove he's better. Lalah is the one person who might have moved him away from that but Char's own ego and fuckups lead to her death and explicitly is what rattles him. Remember that Char is a dude who doesn't even wear a piloting suit because he's so sure he won't be shot down until after Lalah's death.

Char never wants to be a simple soldier. He wants to be a leader and to embrace the design he believes is his. That is why Quattro is a big deal for Char because it is Char trying to move away from being that person into being a simple soldier. Quattro Bageena is the Char who is running away from who he is.

McGillis isn't a 1-for-1 Char clone but no Gundam Char Clone is, they usually are a twist on the formula in some fashion. However he's got a lot of similar points, especially to early Char. (which isn't a bad thing! Playing up the friend-betraying shithead Char concept is better than most ways it can go.)

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't even believe he took any pleasure out of killing Gaelio - taunting him was an obvious tactic to keep a vastly tougher, stronger opponent from thinking straight so that he could easily take him apart. It was just another step on the path.

You're really stretching here. McGillis is by far the stronger of the two fighters in every encounter we've seen and his mobile suit is shown to be of an extremely high spec. McGillis is literally the only person we've seen comparable to Mika and more noteworthy is comparable to Mika without A-V systems. McGillis is easily the most naturally talented fighter we've seen on the field, with only the Turbines coming close and even then the one Turbine/Mika fight explicitly involved Mika in a gimped robot and still fought to effectively a tie.

At best the Gundam might have been superior to McGillis' robot but that's only entirety theoretical as we were informed the Gundams explicitly are built to use the A-V system which Galigali didn't have whereas McGillis was using a high-spec prototype wielding special swords. McGillis is the more talented pilot.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 7, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Either way I dont think McGillis is the type of guy that takes ANY chances. His speech about knowing people so that you can predict how they'll react is 100% pertinent to the fight, his taunting had a direct effect on how Galli fought and if it gave him any additional edge it would be beneficial, even if it ultimately wasn't needed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Either way I dont think McGillis is the type of guy that takes ANY chances. His speech about knowing people so that you can predict how they'll react is 100% pertinent to the fight, his taunting had a direct effect on how Galli fought and if it gave him any additional edge it would be beneficial, even if it ultimately wasn't needed.

Oh yeah, McGillis absolutely taunted the hell out of Gaelio knowing how he'd respond but didn't genuinely seem like a "I needed to it to win" thing, just a "I know this will happen and why even risk it?" with a side of "plus I get to brag to SOMEONE about my complete assholery."

He'll be in for a surprise when it turns out Galigali survived with a minor head injury though! (note: Galigali did not survive with a minor head injury.)

Edit: by far the worst thing about the Turbines surviving is that it retroactively justifies the people who spent the entire series going "We didn't see (X) die explicitly, I bet they're still alive!"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 7, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Who was that? It certainly wasn't Galieo like you appear to be implying, since he was not only an inferior pilot in an inferior unit, he was already defeated when McGillis taunted him.

The Grimgerde is an ultra-lightweight machine with a single reactor. Its advantages are agility (though not speed, because the Kimaris is just crazy-fast) and ridiculously sharp swords. The Kimaris is a twin-reactor behemoth with strength, speed, and durability beyond anything any non-Gundam machine is capable of. McGillis was flying an incredibly fragile suit which couldn't even begin to stand up to the Kimaris in a contest of raw strength, and so his only option was to dance around, dodging and deflecting attacks while slowly taking apart Gaelio's machine. If his old friend had got one square hit on on him with the lance, or managed to grab him, he'd have been dead. That made it vitally important to keep him angry so he'd attack with wild, telegraphed strikes that McGillis could easily avoid. This was all pretty obvious in the fight choreography.

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't really an accurate comparison at all. Char wasn't conflicted. He knew exactly what he wanted to do and on top of that had an ego large enough to want to prove he could do it. Every version of Char is driven by his ego. He doesn't just want to win he wants to prove he's better. Lalah is the one person who might have moved him away from that but Char's own ego and fuckups lead to her death and explicitly is what rattles him. Remember that Char is a dude who doesn't even wear a piloting suit because he's so sure he won't be shot down until after Lalah's death.

Char never wants to be a simple soldier. He wants to be a leader and to embrace the design he believes is his. That is why Quattro is a big deal for Char because it is Char trying to move away from being that person into being a simple soldier. Quattro Bageena is the Char who is running away from who he is.

McGillis isn't a 1-for-1 Char clone but no Gundam Char Clone is, they usually are a twist on the formula in some fashion. However he's got a lot of similar points, especially to early Char. (which isn't a bad thing! Playing up the friend-betraying shithead Char concept is better than most ways it can go.)

This doesn't gel with Char in any of his appearances. In Gundam 0079, he kills Garma and then retreats right back into his role as a soldier, only reawakening to his father's Newtype ideals when he meets Lalah and only resuming his quest for vengeance after being talked into it by Amuro at A Baoa Qu. In Zeta, the conflict is explicit - it takes over half the show and the entire cast yelling at him for him to stop pretending he's the moderately capable soldier Quattro Bajeena and start being Casval Rem Deikun, leader of the AEUG and heir of Zeon Zum Deikun. Then he gets stomped by Haman in revenge for him fleeing his responsibilities on Axis. In CCA, he finally becomes the reluctant leader of Neo Zeon because there's no-one else left, and then throws it all away on a deliberately stupid, unworkable plan so that he can relive the best time of his life, fighting against his greatest rival as a simple soldier.

Char has an ego, but it mostly manifests in selfishness and pride in his martial skills. A will to power doesn't come into it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

This doesn't gel with Char in any of his appearances. In Gundam 0079, he kills Garma and then retreats right back into his role as a soldier, only reawakening to his father's Newtype ideals when he meets Lalah and only resuming his quest for vengeance after being talked into it by Amuro at A Baoa Qu. In Zeta, the conflict is explicit - it takes over half the show and the entire cast yelling at him for him to stop pretending he's the moderately capable soldier Quattro Bajeena and start being Casval Rem Deikun, leader of the AEUG and heir of Zeon Zum Deikun. Then he gets stomped by Haman in revenge for him fleeing his responsibilities on Axis. In CCA, he finally becomes the reluctant leader of Neo Zeon because there's no-one else left, and then throws it all away on a deliberately stupid, unworkable plan so that he can relive the best time of his life, fighting against his greatest rival as a simple soldier.

Char didn't retreat back into being a soldier. He got shitcanned by Dozle for getting his brother die and then got grabbed by Kycilia and had to be careful not to get discovered because she knew Casval better than Dozel did. (In the novels they played together as children, in The Origin they had serious conflicts when Casval was Casval.) Char knew Lalah before that as well, him meeting her with the Institute was just coming back in contact, not their first encounter. Char has always been eager to be a Newtype which is why the irony is that he's not a great way. The novels and The Origin play it up even further but it's there as part of the original version too. Quattro is him running from it because his life is completely hosed up but the original Char has an extremely strong ego.

Darth Walrus posted:

A will to power doesn't come into it.

A will to power absolutely comes into it. Char is the son of Zeon and he never forgets that. That's true in the original series and absolutely true in any material released after the original series. Char does not just want to be a 'regular soldier' except for his period as Quattro which is intentionally not him acting normally.

Darth Walrus posted:

This was all pretty obvious in the fight choreography.

It really wasn't. The fight made it very clear that Gaelio never actually stood a meaningful chance because his Gundam wasn't relevant next to someone who has significantly greater piloting skill. The Gundam is a better mobile suit but that isn't that relevant on its own. IBO is very clear that the most important deciding factor is AV systems. Gundams are relevant because they're meant to harness AV systems the best. A Gundam without an AV system is not particularly more meaningful than a regular suit. (As we see with the Gusion.)

Mika is so powerful because he is a talented pilot with an AV system in a custom-tuned Gundam. He has all the candy more or less. However even a Graze becomes helluva more significant with an AV system.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 7, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Oh yeah, McGillis absolutely taunted the hell out of Gaelio knowing how he'd respond but didn't genuinely seem like a "I needed to it to win" thing, just a "I know this will happen and why even risk it?" with a side of "plus I get to brag to SOMEONE about my complete assholery."

He'll be in for a surprise when it turns out Galigali survived with a minor head injury though! (note: Galigali did not survive with a minor head injury.)

Edit: by far the worst thing about the Turbines surviving is that it retroactively justifies the people who spent the entire series going "We didn't see (X) die explicitly, I bet they're still alive!"

I can't really hate the Turbines surviving too much, because it feels like if a second season hadn't been dropped on the writers at the end their deaths would've probably stuck.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can't really hate the Turbines surviving too much, because it feels like if a second season hadn't been dropped on the writers at the end their deaths would've probably stuck.

They could have killed them anyway. It's not like they were the only Turbines pilots and it would have given Naze a chance to show Orga how to handle losing people rather than sitting back and telling him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

They could have killed them anyway. It's not like they were the only Turbines pilots and it would have given Naze a chance to show Orga how to handle losing people rather than sitting back and telling him.

I certainly think they could have afforded to ice Azee, at least. Lafter always felt like the writers had a little more in mind for her as a bridge between the Turbines and Tekkadan, and the Rebake Full City continuing to borrow design ideas from her Hyakuri implies that S2 might deliver on that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely dislike the idea of "ice the woman so their husband can have a plot" but they kind of wrote themselves into a corner. Them not knowing if they had a S2 doesn't really excuse it because "Oh poo poo, we have a Season 2? Keep the marketable characters around" is genuinely toothless writing. I don't want characters to die just to die but I do think that the most interesting part of death in writing is how other characters deal with it and it was a prime chance to give Naze Turbine something to do but be an author favorite.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely dislike the idea of "ice the woman so their husband can have a plot" but they kind of wrote themselves into a corner. Them not knowing if they had a S2 doesn't really excuse it because "Oh poo poo, we have a Season 2? Keep the marketable characters around" is genuinely toothless writing. I don't want characters to die just to die but I do think that the most interesting part of death in writing is how other characters deal with it and it was a prime chance to give Naze Turbine something to do but be an author favorite.

True, making it about Naze wouldn't have been great. Making it about Lafter, on the other hand, if she lived and Azee didn't, could have been interesting, maybe to see whether and how it affects her cheerful, battle-hungry attitude.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

This was all pretty obvious in the fight choreography.

I think I watched a different fight than you. Far from dancing around taking advantage of greater maneuverability or something the Grimgerde didn't move nearly as much as the Kimaris did. Gaelio definitely moved around more after McGillis began taunting him because he was telegraphing attacks more due to his anger, but McGillis was obviously after beating him even before he began taunting him about his sister and even threw the Kimaris' own lance at it and scored at hit before doing so. McGillis was much more economical with his movements and basically just did little flicks of the shoulders to dodge on a few occasions, not even moving the whole suit. He had absolutely no need to keep Gealio angry because he was proving superior even before he made him angry. And his face when he said he'd take care of Gaelio's sister was not the face of someone who regretted what he was doing, or was showing genuine concern - he enjoyed doing that, and he felt smug and superior to be doing it.

He took Gaelio apart alright, but he took him apart emotionally as well as physically and he was obviously the superior pilot even before he took him apart emotionally and the fight choreography I saw in no way suggested that he had to keep him angry to win. If you saw that then we definitely saw different episodes.

Edit: McGillis wasn't even the one to bring up Carta or Gaelio's sister, Gaelio was. He got angry about both and McGillis took the opportunity to rub in both, but if he needed Gaelio off balance he would have been the one to bring them up. He could have expressed regret or something about either but didn't. He didn't want or need Gaelio off balance in the choreography as far as I can see.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 7, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Midjack posted:

Yeah but Lafter is great and it would have sucked if she died.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Char didn't retreat back into being a soldier. He got shitcanned by Dozle for getting his brother die and then got grabbed by Kycilia and had to be careful not to get discovered because she knew Casval better than Dozel did. (In the novels they played together as children, in The Origin they had serious conflicts when Casval was Casval.) Char knew Lalah before that as well, him meeting her with the Institute was just coming back in contact, not their first encounter. Char has always been eager to be a Newtype which is why the irony is that he's not a great way. The novels and The Origin play it up even further but it's there as part of the original version too. Quattro is him running from it because his life is completely hosed up but the original Char has an extremely strong ego.

The interesting thing about Char's character is the contrast between the man he is and the myth people believe about him. In MSG he has the goals

1. Defeat Amuro
2. Avenge his father
3. Win the war for Zeon
4. Protect Sayla
5. Protect Lalah
6. Enact his father's vision of mankind's newtype future

and because he tries to accomplish all of them he accomplishes none of them. He's a guy who's only good at charisma and mobile suit piloting, and rather than driving people away his indecisiveness and consistent failure (glory of the losers) makes it easier for people to project their ideals on him. McGillis strips out all the interesting bits and reads it as "loves masks, betrayal, and laughing at Garma".

McGillis was a more threatening antagonist without the mask, but most plot threads in IBO can be summarized as "interesting premises ruined by formulaic writing".

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm glad the women didn't die horribly to make a man look strong.

Re: the McGillis/Gaellio fight, that was probably one of the best fights that I didn't have an ounce of fun watching precisely because Gaellio was so utterly outclassed throughout the choreography of it that his death was one of the most inevitable things in the world, worsened by the fact that McGillis just methodically destroyed him throughout. Like I don't think I've seen such an absolutely thorough takedown like that anywhere else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'm glad the women didn't die horribly to make a man look strong.

Eh. The more I think about this the more I think it's a weak criticism.

They got completely owned to show off how strong Ein is anyway. It isn't like they suddenly avoided a cliche. The only thing they did was undermine one of IBO's strengths (the focus on the lethal aspects of combat) while still getting mooked so we could see how strong Ein is. They survived but their survival has nothing to do with their characters, personality or plot. They barely get focused on after they get smashed except in relationship to their husband. Frankly that's a major problem with them at all. They're mostly defined by their relationship to dudes. They don't have anything really going on for them besides "friend" or "wife." Lafter does better than Azee in that she has a personality she gets to show off more but they're not subverting any cliches here.

Nobody said Carta 'died to make a man look strong' and that is because even though Carta got effortless wrecked in a way it was as a logical end to a plot arc which involve the characters she was interacting with. You couldn't do that plot with the Turbines because the show doesn't really do much with them to let them HAVE that satisfying endplot. However 'subverting' it by just having them get mooked and survive so they can rush up and hug their husband isn't suddenly better. Maybe Season 2 is willing to give Lafter and Azee plot that is about them since they're popular enough to spare from a near-certain death.I certainly hope so.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 8, 2016

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. The more I think about this the more I think it's a weak criticism.

They got completely owned to show off how strong Ein is anyway. It isn't like they suddenly avoided a cliche. The only thing they did was undermine one of IBO's strengths (the focus on the lethal aspects of combat) while still getting mooked so we could see how strong Ein is. They survived but their survival has nothing to do with their characters, personality or plot. They barely get focused on after they get smashed except in relationship to their husband. Frankly that's a major problem with them at all. They're mostly defined by their relationship to dudes. They don't have anything really going on for them besides "friend" or "wife." Lafter does better than Azee in that she has a personality she gets to show off more but they're not subverting any cliches here.

Nobody said Carta 'died to make a man look strong' and that is because even though Carta got effortless wrecked in a way it was as a logical end to a plot arc which involve the characters she was interacting with. You couldn't do that plot with the Turbines because the show doesn't really do much with them to let them HAVE that satisfying endplot. However 'subverting' it by just having them get mooked and survive so they can rush up and hug their husband isn't suddenly better. Maybe Season 2 is willing to give Lafter and Azee plot that is about them since they're popular enough to spare from a near-certain death.I certainly hope so.

The more I think about it the more I think how they handled the turbines survival at the end felt unearned. If the ladies had at least been seriously injured for getting the stuffing beat out of them, like every other combatant in the series, we would not still be having this argument. Even Mika payed a price for winning. They should at least have come out of it with an awesome scar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
On its own it's pretty weak that they got off unharmed but in the greater context of Gundam and anime as a whole, it's pretty good that a bunch of (sane, competent) female pilots didn't get mooked to show off how strong a new villain is.

• Locked thread