Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eej posted:

On its own it's pretty weak that they got off unharmed but in the greater context of Gundam and anime as a whole, it's pretty good that a bunch of (sane, competent) female pilots didn't get mooked to show off how strong a new villain is.

They did though. They just didn't die. If you're going to argue with Gundam as a whole, "female pilot loses so a male pilot can come across stronger" is far more prevalent than "female pilot dies so a male pilot can come across stronger." And if you're going to argue anime as a whole I don't really think, for example, Sayaka from Mazinger Z comes across better because she 'only' got her mecha curbstomped by monsters of the week or literal dudes on horseback instead of dying to them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

everydayfalls posted:

The more I think about it the more I think how they handled the turbines survival at the end felt unearned. If the ladies had at least been seriously injured for getting the stuffing beat out of them, like every other combatant in the series, we would not still be having this argument. Even Mika payed a price for winning. They should at least have come out of it with an awesome scar.

The bad writing can't be fixed by making them live or die. Why does the show have two characters where their entire role in the story is "those two above average pilots who are going to job in the finale to show how real poo poo is"? Killing them would be predictable and have no affect on the overall plot, which is the trend with IBO deaths.

How does an 8+ hour long story manage to have so little character development?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

To me all of Turbines surviving just comes across as odd in a finale where really minor characters are being killed off for much less.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The turbines surviving is no great victory for anime feminism, because on a meta level its impossible to ignore that they were very likely only spared because male fans want to gently caress them and killing them off would result in a loss of character merch revenue.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

The turbines surviving is no great victory for anime feminism, because on a meta level its impossible to ignore that they were very likely only spared because male fans want to gently caress them and killing them off would result in a loss of character merch revenue.

Hey, be fair, this probably also applies to Norba. :v:

Except possibly the 'male fans' bit, but I don't want to jump to conclusions here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shino surviving is also kind of really narratively weird.

Shino's plot throughout the second season was one of increasing overconfidence. He became a Graze pilot and due to the natural benefits of the A-V system was inherently one of the best pilots in the setting because nobody else had an A-V equipped mecha and that overcame his shortcomings. Yet throughout the season they show he's growing increasingly arrogant and coming inches from serious missteps but he laughs it off. In addition he has heat with Ein and is literally piloting the gaudied-up corpse of Ein's mentor's robot, something which has been a long-term source of hatred for Ein.

That absolutely should have come to a climax with Ein freaking the gently caress out now that he actually has the power to do something about it and to drive home that Shino's overconfidence was the result of Tekkadan's A-V power gap less than his own talents. Tekkadan growing increasingly confidence and reckless and heading towards a complete disaster is built up heavily in the last 3-4 episodes and then just sort of... dropped? Tekkadan lost people but it feels underemphasized and rather than it being a reckless disaster that costs tons they come out seemingly about as bad as the fight against the Brewers. I mean I guess their robots get kind of wrecked but "robots are more important than people" doesn't seem like a Tekkadan mindset.

Instead Shino gets owned brutally but survives, again seemingly without any long-term damage. If Tekkadan lost anyone it was... uh, that one guy who tried to pilot Barbatos and got brainfucked for it? He's the only guy I remember dying and I may be misremembering even that. It just feels weird the show was building up to 'this is reckless kids heading towards disaster through grief and abuse" and then it (by IBO standards) ends up a huge success.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wanna say that a few other characters bit the dust but the ones that died in that finale were such nonentities that it didn't really matter to the viewer.

Which is why all of the Turbines living felt off to me, it's a finale that tried to have sone teeth to it but didn't kill off anyone meaningful on Tekkadan's side

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Shino's plot throughout the second season was one of increasing overconfidence. He became a Graze pilot and due to the natural benefits of the A-V system was inherently one of the best pilots in the setting because nobody else had an A-V equipped mecha and that overcame his shortcomings. Yet throughout the season they show he's growing increasingly arrogant and coming inches from serious missteps but he laughs it off. In addition he has heat with Ein and is literally piloting the gaudied-up corpse of Ein's mentor's robot, something which has been a long-term source of hatred for Ein.

That absolutely should have come to a climax with Ein freaking the gently caress out now that he actually has the power to do something about it and to drive home that Shino's overconfidence was the result of Tekkadan's A-V power gap less than his own talents. Tekkadan growing increasingly confidence and reckless and heading towards a complete disaster is built up heavily in the last 3-4 episodes and then just sort of... dropped? Tekkadan lost people but it feels underemphasized and rather than it being a reckless disaster that costs tons they come out seemingly about as bad as the fight against the Brewers. I mean I guess their robots get kind of wrecked but "robots are more important than people" doesn't seem like a Tekkadan mindset.

Instead Shino gets owned brutally but survives, again seemingly without any long-term damage. If Tekkadan lost anyone it was... uh, that one guy who tried to pilot Barbatos and got brainfucked for it? He's the only guy I remember dying and I may be misremembering even that. It just feels weird the show was building up to 'this is reckless kids heading towards disaster through grief and abuse" and then it (by IBO standards) ends up a huge success.

Dante? Pretty sure he's still alive, too.

Norba's survival gets more points from me because it's the punchline to a really cute little setup. Remember that Yamagi painted on the Ryusei-Go's eyes as a good luck charm for his crush? Come Edmonton, and Ein's so outraged at the desecration of Crank's suit that he goes for the decorated head rather than the cockpit in the chest, saving Norba's life.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Biscuit died which I'm pretty sure is what caused Mika to flip the gently caress out on Carta and her men.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Darth Walrus posted:

Except possibly the 'male fans' bit, but I don't want to jump to conclusions here.

Sexual attraction is absolutely a thing marketers account for when determining character popularity and value to their brand, it's why superheroines are always designed to look like strippers and heroines in Hollywood movies are never allowed to get dirty.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

Sexual attraction is absolutely a thing marketers account for when determining character popularity and value to their brand, it's why superheroines are always designed to look like strippers and heroines in Hollywood movies are never allowed to get dirty.

No, I was thinking about the demographic of fans who might hypothetically want to bang Norba.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
they should kill off naze turbine

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

point of return posted:

:yeah:

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

point of return posted:

This would actually be an interesting "twist" for the coming season. With out him there what would the relationship between the space maffia and our heroes be? Also, would his space harem manage to stick together? It could also nicely mirror fears that Orga would have about what happens to tekaden if he dies.

I am concerned that this is beyond the writing level of the series as a whole and second seasons of Gundam shows in particular, I would be happy to be wrong.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I still want to see an actual wedge appear between Orga and Mika. I feel like that was a fairly natural thing that should have happened in season 1 that just...didn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My fingers-crossed hope for Season 2 is that no longer having the maybe/maybe of an extended season hanging over them they're more willing to take risks and fracture what they've built up. My fear is "this did well in the US so just make it the same and for the love of god don't change anything so we don't lose fans."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

My fingers-crossed hope for Season 2 is that no longer having the maybe/maybe of an extended season hanging over them they're more willing to take risks and fracture what they've built up. My fear is "this did well in the US so just make it the same and for the love of god don't change anything so we don't lose fans."

"Do more of the same" is exactly what we want to see, considering what generally happens to "un-Gundam" series that get a second season/delayed 3rd and 4th Cour.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ibo is going to be disappointing no matter what happens ultimately.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Raxivace posted:

I still want to see an actual wedge appear between Orga and Mika. I feel like that was a fairly natural thing that should have happened in season 1 that just...didn't.

The show began to set up a conflict between the two of them with Mika getting increasingly crazy in the latter episodes of the series and pressing that craziness to the point of almost threatening Orga during the scenes up until Carta attacked and died. Orga's look of unsettled fright as a wild-eyed Mika tells him that he'll kill anyone in their way as long as Orga gives the order was pretty good, and a plot arc of Orga having to come to terms with exactly how messed up Mika is instead of pretending otherwise would have been neat. Instead it kind of got dropped completely and they returned to their normal "Orga gives order, Mika does order" pattern.

At this point it would be hard to set up a conflict between the two of them that would make any sense short of one or the other of them intentionally making a decision or taking an action that fucks Tekkadan over in a major way for some reason.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Do more of the same" is exactly what we want to see, considering what generally happens to "un-Gundam" series that get a second season/delayed 3rd and 4th Cour.

I'd prefer they do something different, but I'm of the mind that IBO started strong then had a very boring middle (and it started before the middle really) with uninteresting action as well as uninteresting character drama and growth. The finale tried to have some bite and it did a pretty good job of doing so for a few episodes, and then pissed it out a window in the end.

Even discounting how all the deaths in the finale (so not Biscuit) were pulled back you had the younger kids laughing like everything was okay and people commenting they seemed like normal kids for instance. Tekkadan got everything they wanted in the finale really and barely had to pay a price during the whole season. It's nice, but it's completely flaccid dramatically.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 9, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

The show began to set up a conflict between the two of them with Mika getting increasingly crazy in the latter episodes of the series and pressing that craziness to the point of almost threatening Orga during the scenes up until Carta attacked and died. Orga's look of unsettled fright as a wild-eyed Mika tells him that he'll kill anyone in their way as long as Orga gives the order was pretty good, and a plot arc of Orga having to come to terms with exactly how messed up Mika is instead of pretending otherwise would have been neat. Instead it kind of got dropped completely and they returned to their normal "Orga gives order, Mika does order" pattern.

At this point it would be hard to set up a conflict between the two of them that would make any sense short of one or the other of them intentionally making a decision or taking an action that fucks Tekkadan over in a major way for some reason.

I don't think it's going to happen, because the only way to make it a balanced conflict and not a two-minute stomp for Mika would be to somehow have all or most of Tekkadan and Orga turn on him. Anything less would get smashed underfoot pretty drat fast.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think it's going to happen, because the only way to make it a balanced conflict and not a two-minute stomp for Mika would be to somehow have all or most of Tekkadan and Orga turn on him. Anything less would get smashed underfoot pretty drat fast.

They could always have the conflict not involve mobile suits, though admittedly Mika is a foot shorter with a disabled eye and hand.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only other way I could see a plausible way to bring them into conflict is to somehow bring Kudelia into conflict with Orga; Mika and Atra's time with Kudelia might be enough to render Mika conflicted enough to have to make a difficult decision and it would be plausible that he would come down against Orga. This wouldn't involve actual conflict, but it would allow a rift to open between them that would open up more narrative paths for the pair than exist right now.

That said, my gut feeling is that the "Orga and Mika clash in some way" ship has already sailed and if they wanted to tell that story they would have gone through with it in S1.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

The only other way I could see a plausible way to bring them into conflict is to somehow bring Kudelia into conflict with Orga; Mika and Atra's time with Kudelia might be enough to render Mika conflicted enough to have to make a difficult decision and it would be plausible that he would come down against Orga. This wouldn't involve actual conflict, but it would allow a rift to open between them that would open up more narrative paths for the pair than exist right now.

That said, my gut feeling is that the "Orga and Mika clash in some way" ship has already sailed and if they wanted to tell that story they would have gone through with it in S1.

I'm not so sure. The Season Two teasers have been pretty ominous about the direction Tekkadan is going in. Orga's starting to shed his old Tekkadan uniform, wearing a Teiwaz-style business suit instead. The children who Kudelia taught to read are now piloting top-of-the-line mobile suits. More recruits with Alaya-Vijnana whiskers have been hired, and we don't know yet whether they had them implanted when they entered Tekkadan. Mikazuki, who wanted to be a farmer and lost his eye and arm in battle, is still in the machine that crippled him, and it's been remodelled into a giant corporate logo that murders people.

There was always the risk in the first season that Orga would forget that Tekkadan was a means to an end rather than the end itself, and it looks like they might well be delivering on that here.

The parallels between Orga and Mika and Guts and Griffith from Berserk have been obvious for a while now, and S2 seems to be really doubling down on that - Mika, for instance, is now in the Barbatos Lupus, a special suit of armour with a giant sword and guns on its forearms that offers him incredible strength and speed and restores the use of his lost eye and arm but does horrible things to his mind and body in return. I doubt we'll see a direct parallel there (and sweet Jesus, I really hope we won't, because poor Kudelia) but some similarities in their character arcs would not be surprising.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 12, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

I'd still not place it under impossible, but it's unlikely.

Part of the problem, of course, is the power dynamics. Right from the start, we've seen that, despite Orga being the one giving the orders, it's Mika who has the last word. Look at the mutiny. Everyone else, Orga lays it out like "Here's the plan. Going down with or without. You in?"

Mikazuki's told he can torpedo it. Orga makes it very clear, even to the others, that if Mikazuki doesn't want to set things off, they won't go off.

And that stays all through. Even when Mikazuki's input comes as an offhand comment, Orga treats it like it came down from on high with a choir on backup.

It's easy to think, since Mika's the one asking for orders (demanding orders, sometimes) that the root of a disagreement has to come from him telling Orga that a plan ain't flying. But from what we see in the show, the result of that would be Orga immediately going "Okay! New plan!". He fears and respects Mikazuki too much to go for an alternative.

(Also seems relevant that, of the two, Orga is the one who's, well, closer to normal. I'm not sure if we've ever seen him directly kill anyone, and his emotion board seems to have a lot less spaces marked "MURDER" than Augus's. It's hard to think of a scenario where Orga'd be all for something nasty, and Mika'd be the one going "No, think of the moral implications.")

Of course, this is all with where they were in season 1. Season 2 can change a lot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm not so sure. The Season Two teasers have been pretty ominous about the direction Tekkadan is going in. Orga's starting to shed his old Tekkadan uniform, wearing a Teiwaz-style business suit instead. The children who Kudelia taught to read are now piloting top-of-the-line mobile suits. More recruits with Alaya-Vijnana whiskers have been hired, and we don't know yet whether they had them implanted when they entered Tekkadan. Mikazuki, who wanted to be a farmer and lost his eye and arm in battle, is still in the machine that crippled him, and it's been remodelled into a giant corporate logo that murders people.

There was always the risk in the first season that Orga would forget that Tekkadan was a means to an end rather than the end itself, and it looks like they might well be delivering on that here.

The parallels between Orga and Mika and Guts and Griffith from Berserk have been obvious for a while now, and S2 seems to be really doubling down on that - Mika, for instance, is now in the Barbatos Lupus, a special suit of armour with a giant sword and guns on its forearms that offers him incredible strength and speed and restores the use of his lost eye and arm but does horrible things to his mind and body in return. I doubt we'll see a direct parallel there (and sweet Jesus, I really hope we won't, because poor Kudelia) but some similarities in their character arcs would not be surprising.

I don't know. Mika mentioned wanting to be a farmer, but did we ever get any indications from the other Tekkadan kids that they had any life goals besides "provide for family" and "don't starve to death in the streets of a lovely Martian city"? Orga's goal when he formed Tekkadan was to provide a future for its members; that future doesn't necessarily involve all of them deciding to not be soldiers anymore. Him going "professional" only solidifies the organization and ensures that he's able to provide that home for the people under his protection more effectively, and they're free to leave whenever they want if they don't want the soldiering life any more.

Now, if they stop being free to leave, that's a potential point of conflict.

chiasaur11 posted:

(Also seems relevant that, of the two, Orga is the one who's, well, closer to normal. I'm not sure if we've ever seen him directly kill anyone, and his emotion board seems to have a lot less spaces marked "MURDER" than Augus's. It's hard to think of a scenario where Orga'd be all for something nasty, and Mika'd be the one going "No, think of the moral implications.")

Orga has explicitly never directly killed anyone. He's been the instigator of a fair number of brutal murders and is a battle planner who is not shy about giving up his followers' lives when the situation demands it, but we've never seen him actually pull a trigger himself, even when it would be well within his power; when it came time to execute the drugged and tied up CGS guys, he asked Mika to do it. It's a very interesting part of his character that would be neat to see explored more; he's obviously not afraid of responsibility, but he always keeps himself one step removed from actually getting his own hands dirty.

I agree that Mika would definitely be the one to do something completely crazy and brutal and Orga would be the one to balk rather than the other way around, largely because season 1 seemed to be headed that way with Mika's increasing craziness and his sudden lunge to kill Carta to Orga's apparent surprise, but it never followed through.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

I don't know. Mika mentioned wanting to be a farmer, but did we ever get any indications from the other Tekkadan kids that they had any life goals besides "provide for family" and "don't starve to death in the streets of a lovely Martian city"? Orga's goal when he formed Tekkadan was to provide a future for its members; that future doesn't necessarily involve all of them deciding to not be soldiers anymore. Him going "professional" only solidifies the organization and ensures that he's able to provide that home for the people under his protection more effectively, and they're free to leave whenever they want if they don't want the soldiering life any more.

Now, if they stop being free to leave, that's a potential point of conflict.

One of the key things about the first season was that the kids were (mostly, with a couple of exceptions) not slaves. They were free to stop being child soldiers at any time. It's just that that would immediately be followed by them starving to death, because there was nowhere else for them to go. That's why Kudelia went to Earth in the first place, and why she became a teacher on board the Isaribi. She wanted to give them opportunities outside of being child soldiers. Orga, on the other hand, always saw things more narrowly. He never really believed in her mission - he just saw it as a way for Tekkadan to prosper. To him, safety and security for his friends was being wealthy, feared soldiers. We're obviously meant to be on Kudelia's side (that's the whole point of the Brewers arc, above any other - it is utterly monstrous for children to have to kill to live), but from the S2 previews, it seems that Orga's vision of his friends' future has won. He's still operating on the old CGS model, with the Tekkadan kids fighting and dying to support their families. Cookie, Cracker, and Sakura are enjoying pleasant, peaceful lives, but Ride, who by all rights should be with them, is now a full-time pilot.

I full expect that to bite him and the rest of Tekkadan in the rear end.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

One of the key things about the first season was that the kids were (mostly, with a couple of exceptions) not slaves. They were free to stop being child soldiers at any time. It's just that that would immediately be followed by them starving to death, because there was nowhere else for them to go. That's why Kudelia went to Earth in the first place, and why she became a teacher on board the Isaribi. She wanted to give them opportunities outside of being child soldiers. Orga, on the other hand, always saw things more narrowly. He never really believed in her mission - he just saw it as a way for Tekkadan to prosper. To him, safety and security for his friends was being wealthy, feared soldiers. We're obviously meant to be on Kudelia's side (that's the whole point of the Brewers arc, above any other - it is utterly monstrous for children to have to kill to live), but from the S2 previews, it seems that Orga's vision of his friends' future has won. He's still operating on the old CGS model, with the Tekkadan kids fighting and dying to support their families. Cookie, Cracker, and Sakura are enjoying pleasant, peaceful lives, but Ride, who by all rights should be with them, is now a full-time pilot.

I full expect that to bite him and the rest of Tekkadan in the rear end.

There is a fundamental difference between the days of CGS and Orga's Tekkadan, despite them both being organizations of child soldiers. The CGS leadership did not give a tenth of a poo poo about the welfare of the child soldiers under their command. They weren't technically slaves, but they were effective indentured servants because their options were "get kicked and beaten and fed protein glop before being sent to act as bullet shields in outdated equipment" or "starve to death". Orga actually cares about the welfare of his employees. It's pretty plausible to imagine that if somebody wanted to leave Tekkadan after serving them faithfully for a period of time, it would be incredibly out of character for Orga to simply tell them "well fine, gently caress off then" and leave them in the street to starve. He'd probably cut them a severance check, at the very least. He also probably pays everyone significantly better than CGS in general because he's definitely not the type to squirrel all his loving gold away in a vault like Maruba did, so they have more wiggle room to save for "retirement". It's just that so many of the kids are swept up in being big badass fighter mans in the Holy Blood Brotherhood of Tekkadan that I doubt any of them have even considered their other prospects.

Tekkadan continuing to exist as an organization is fundamentally hosed up and sad, but in the context of the IBO world they have literally no other choice. Kudelia didn't magically fix the entire solar system by successfully delivering a speech at Edmonton, and any significant economic changes that would possibly change things on such a scale that kids are allowed to be kids on Mars again probably won't come into functional effect for decades or even generations because that's usually how massive economic reform works without a government-destroying revolution. In that context, Orga is doing pretty much the best thing he can for all of these kids, as absolutely tragic as that is.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 12, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

There is a fundamental difference between the days of CGS and Orga's Tekkadan, designed pite them both being organizations of child soldiers. The CGS leadership did not give a tenth of a poo poo about the welfare of the child soldiers under their command. They weren't technically slaves, but they were effective indentured servants because their options were "get kicked and beaten and fed protein glop before being sent to act as bullet shields in outdated equipment" or "starve to death". Orga actually cares about the welfare of his employees. It's pretty plausible to imagine that if somebody wanted to leave Tekkadan after serving them faithfully for a period of time, it would be incredibly out of character for Orga to simply tell them "well fine, gently caress off then" and leave them in the street to starve. He'd probably cut them a severance check, at the very least. He also probably pays everyone significantly better than CGS in general because he's definitely not the type to squirrel all his loving gold away in a vault like Maruba did, so they have more wiggle room to save for "retirement". It's just that so many of the kids are swept up in being big badass fighter mans in the Holy Blood Brotherhood of Tekkadan that I doubt any of them have even considered their other prospects.

Tekkadan continuing to exist as an organization is fundamentally hosed up and sad, but in the context of the IBO world they have literally no other choice. Kudelia didn't magically fix the entire solar system by successfully delivering a speech at Edmonton, and any significant economic changes that would possibly change things on such a scale that kids are allowed to be kids on Mars again probably won't come into functional effect for decades or even generations because that's usually how massive economic reform works without a government-destroying revolution. In that context, Orga is doing pretty much the best thing he can for all of these kids, as absolutely tragic as that is.

I think the problem here is that Season Two Tekkadan looks really rich. Like, ludicrously, insanely rich. The Turbines were a big deal with three Hyakuren frames, and Tekkadan now has so many that they're letting straight-up kids fly them, plus two tricked-out custom Gundams and some extremely sexy new mobile workers. Being child mercenaries isn't the only job available to Martians, just Martians with a certain social background and lack of a support network. Look at Fumitan or Kudelia. Look at Atra's shopkeeper employer, Savarin, or, hell, even Ein. After the Earth trip, Orga and his company are basically set up for life (even ignoring the searing-hot half-metal investment tip they got). He has the money and influence to get his kids wherever the hell he wants them to be. Unfortunately, he's a child soldier, and is locked into the child soldier mindset. It was made clear throughout S1 that while he's a fantastic boss by the standards of his particular business, he just doesn't have the imagination to think outside the box.

I have no doubt that Orga would be happy to let his employees go off and do something else (well, not happy, because he's so in love with the idea of Tekkadan as an unbreakable family, but willing). The problem is that on Mars, it's people like him who create those alternatives. There's no malice from his end in it, but Tekkadan's employees aren't going off and doing other things because he hasn't created other things for them to do, or let them know that those things are available and OK for them to do.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 12, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I think the problem here is that Season Two Tekkadan looks really rich. Like, ludicrously, insanely rich. The Turbines were a big deal with three Hyakuren frames, and Tekkadan now has so many that they're letting straight-up kids fly them, plus two tricked-out custom Gundams and some extremely sexy new mobile workers. Being child mercenaries isn't the only job available to Martians, just Martians with a certain social background and lack of a support network. Look at Fumitan or Kudelia. Look at Atra's shopkeeper employer, Savarin, or, hell, even Ein. After the Earth trip, Orga and his company are basically set up for life (even ignoring the searing-hot half-metal investment tip they got). He has the money and influence to get his kids wherever the hell he wants them to be. Unfortunately, he's a child soldier, and is locked into the child soldier mindset. It was made clear throughout S1 that while he's a fantastic boss by the standards of his particular business, he just doesn't have the imagination to think outside the box.

I have no doubt that Orga would be happy to let his employees go off and do something else (well, not happy, because he's so in love with the idea of Tekkadan as an unbreakable family, but willing). The problem is that on Mars, it's people like him who create those alternatives. There's no malice from his end in it, but Tekkadan's employees aren't going off and doing other things because he hasn't created other things for them to do.

Market forces and the underlying economic structure of the planet matter a great deal. A dozen members of Tekkadan being given pensions and outlay costs by Orga and deciding to settle down and plant corn farms will avail them precisely nothing if the market doesn't want to pay sustainable prices for corn; this was alluded to when Kudelia and Mika visited the farm and Mika pointed out that despite the size of her lands, Miss Sakura's farm wasn't even breaking even without Biscuit's salary because there was no fair market for Martian farmers. There is a pretty stark limit to what investment from single rich philanthropists, even really rich ones, can do if the underlying economic system is broken. Orga can't magically conjure up a market for crops.

That's why the point of Kudelia's entire journey was to begin securing economic independence for Mars, because despite her extreme naivete in many respects, she understands that to actually address the problem requires systemic change, which takes a really goddamn long time to accomplish peacefully and within the confines of an existing governmental structure without violent revolution.

e: By contrast, the fact that peaceful reform takes a long while is why McGillis is taking the "backstab/murder my way to absolute power" approach.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 13, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Some interesting translation-work and speculation on the new Gundams.

The Kimaris Vidar being McGillis's other ride would be another hilariously sick joke by the anime.

The Range
Sep 20, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Hoobadooba.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 23, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Satan? That would be the Devil Gundam, which is in Mobile Fighter G Gundam and not Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans. Wrong show, friend.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

The Kimaris Vidar being McGillis's other ride would be another hilariously sick joke by the anime.

Just looking at the Vidar, I can't help but think it's gonna have an Attack-on-Titan-esque hit-and-run gimmick going with those holstered extra blades and those oversized thrusters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just looking at the Vidar, I can't help but think it's gonna have an Attack-on-Titan-esque hit-and-run gimmick going with those holstered extra blades and those oversized thrusters.

That seems almost certain. It's also why I suspect that it's McGillis's machine - its weapons look a little too delicate for something flown by Gaelio.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

Does the Floras have beam cannons?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Does the Floras have beam cannons?

I doubt it. Probably just very big conventional guns. You can see the ammo clips on the waist weapons, and the shoulder-guns seem to have some sort of revolver setup. That, or they're coilguns.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just finished this. It was enjoyable.

Can someone please photoshop Gaelio into the I want to believe poster for me, I can't now but it expresses my feelings perfectly.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Shino's bolsterous flirty personality would be great if it bit him in the rear end. As in female human debris rival bit him in the rear end. Season 2 could expand on that since the Brewers Arc had missed potential for female human debris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd bet that the original ending was darker and had more deaths, but they reconsidered when they got a second season. Keeping those characters alive lets them use them in the second season, and they can still do the thing about Tekkadan getting bigger and more confident leading to a fall.

• Locked thread