Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think if anyone important is gonna die in this one it's not gonna be until later in the show.

And yeah I think it's kinda lame, though at least it's a step down from the pre-airing weirdness about G-Reco, predicting outcomes that were absolutely not gonna happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wheres the women

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

dogsicle posted:

he's one of my favorites, along with the guy that looks really similar to Guts

i dunno why everybody thinks the pointy-haired guy will die, or why x/y/z characters will die and HERE'S my list of the bodycount etc. but that stuff bums me out

It's fun to imagine the token fatty comic relief die, that's why.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

wheres the women

She's the audience stand in, while a bunch of hot shirtless mech jocks fight to protect you, the viewer.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Srice posted:

I think if anyone important is gonna die in this one it's not gonna be until later in the show.

And yeah I think it's kinda lame, though at least it's a step down from the pre-airing weirdness about G-Reco, predicting outcomes that were absolutely not gonna happen

"the G-Self rabbit ears are stupid, what a hindrance they'll be in combat!"

closeted republican posted:

It's fun to imagine the token fatty comic relief die, that's why.

i dunno, he just seems like a fat guy and not especially funny. i like basically all the characters so far and hope few to none die, like G-Reco

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

"the G-Self rabbit ears are stupid, what a hindrance they'll be in combat!"

lol that was quite a special moment, especially when he ragequit the thread by yelling that people are just mad that he exposed the truth

I'm mainly thinking of how people were insistent on how it was going to end with a lot of death and be blatantly linked to Turn A, etc.

The latter definitely wasn't gonna happen.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Srice posted:

lol that was quite a special moment, especially when he ragequit the thread by yelling that people are just mad that he exposed the truth

I'm mainly thinking of how people were insistent on how it was going to end with a lot of death and be blatantly linked to Turn A, etc.

The latter definitely wasn't gonna happen.

oh, yeah. i'm glad it didn't turn into some crazily removed dark prequel

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sharkopath posted:

She's the audience stand in, while a bunch of hot shirtless mech jocks fight to protect you, the viewer.

I am becoming more interested in this show.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Gundam VR : you are the lady hanging out in the cockpit while your choice of hot gundam pilot man protects you :smugmrgw:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Some info about the series' background, the Gundams, the Barbatos itself, and the MC is in the 1/144 HG Barbatos manual.

quote:

-overall height:18.0m, dry weight:28.5t
-Gundam Barbatos: About 300 years ago, the Calamity War drove by humanity itself caused the civilization decline. Barbatos is an ancient MS produced in that era. Even with that era's technology mounting 2 Ahab Reactors and making them operate in parallel high output was extremely difficult, so 72 machines using a Gundam Frame fuselage were rolled out. All of those 72 machines have an individual name registered to them, Barbatos' Gundam prefix is a rare name for a MS to bear. The burden on the pilot is high due to the high output and high maneuverability, however it's mitigated by the implementation of Inertial Control due to the use of Ahab Particles generated from the reactor when a phase transition occurs inside its vacuum device. The cockpit structure is positioned in front of the reactor to take advantage of this. Among the same frame machines, Barbatos has been adjusted for an emphasis on versatility, it has the potential to adapt to every circumstance by performing exchanges of all sorts of equipment.

-Mikazuki Augus: boarded the Barbatos when Gjallarhorn attacked the CGS HQ facility then became its pilot. He has received the Alaya-Vijnana(storehouse consciousness concept from Buddhism) System surgical treatment 3 times and still returned alive. This system grants excellent spatial awareness and since ancient MS require rapport from an Organic Device Sytem, compatibility with Barbatos is very good. Inspired by Gjallarhorn attack, he participates with the mobilized children including Orga Itsuka in starting up Tekkadan. He has never been to school and can't read properly.

quote:

-Mace: Physical destruction weapon made from a high hardness rare alloy used in MS frames. As MS use Nano Laminated Armor for protection, such striking weapons are considered to be effective. Its pointed end has an spear-like stick out injection mechanism.

-Long Sword: Sword used by MS training at Teiwaz's HQ ''Jupiter'' factory. It shows its superiority during localized attacks because it's easy to handle due to its lightweight.

-Gauntlet: already equipped when Barbatos was discovered on Mars. Thought to be an original Barbatos exchangeable armament, not sure.

-1st Form: from the Calamity War around 300 years ago. Discovered in Mars' desert by Malva Arkay(CGS president). Since its Ahab Reactors were still in operational state it was used as the CGS HQ facility's power source until Mikazuki boarded it.

-4th Form: Based on ancient materials from the time of the Calamity War that had been recorded on Teiwaz's database, Barbatos' original shape reproduced by ''Jupiter'' technicians. Machine's weight balance stabilized because of additional armaments. Reactor output was improved too.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Sharkopath posted:

i would be up for that but nippleless kenchests are super offputting

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

So it has a twin drive dual reactor system that runs off of GN Ahab Particles?

Man they really need to explore a little with the technobabble. I want to see a gundam that runs on the smugness of masked antagonists.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I'm glad there are no women on the cast, thus voiding the need to kill them off constantly to provide the main character with motivation.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Ka0 posted:

I'm glad there are no women on the cast, thus voiding the need to kill them off constantly to provide the main character with motivation.

Biscuit Griffon and the faceless dudes seen in the PV2 video will gadly fill in those roles.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Man they really need to explore a little with the technobabble. I want to see a gundam that runs on the smugness of masked antagonists.

i kind of feel like if you're not really going to do anything with the fact that the thing's in the future and on mars other than establishing shots you can p much stop caring about making sure the robots are powered by something suitably futuristic sounding

like, what if they just ran on gasoline or jet fuel or something and were just super loud even when they were idling

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ka0 posted:

I'm glad there are no women on the cast

Aside from the two women.

Ka0 posted:

thus voiding the need to kill them off constantly to provide the main character with motivation.

Just like the last three Gundam shows didn't. Four if you count Origin.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

Just like the last three Gundam shows didn't. Four if you count Origin.

Well two of those are kids toy tournament shows, so of course they didn't. Props to Reco on that count though.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Is this gonna be a return to 8th MS-esque Gundam?

Razzled fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 2, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Razzled posted:

Is this gonna be a return to 8th MS-esque Gundam?

Its probably going to be its own thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I can only hope for a tangled, sordid romance.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I dunno if you can really call romeo and juliet sordid.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Torrid, definitely.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I wonder if this is the target audience they're working with when you see the word "particles" and "reactor" and think of GN first.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Eej posted:

I wonder if this is the target audience they're working with when you see the word "particles" and "reactor" and think of GN first.

I mean minovsky/DG cells/mirage colloid/GN/plavsky particles have kind of been a staple of all the Gundam series but only 00 had a twin drive system.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the big plot twist is that THIS is the gundam that will lead into turn a

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

the big plot twist is that THIS is the gundam that will lead into turn a

That would be really dumb.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

destroy the Gundam timeline

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
So how come people get upset over the whole toy commercial thing?

Spoiler alert, shows are built to sell. Gundam just sells model kits instead of BDs and trashy character merch. It's not like it has much of an impact on the show other than having lots of mecha designs and a bunch of required upgrades.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If toys are the only thing you can talk about in a conversation about a show, it's a bad show.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Srice posted:

If toys are the only thing you can talk about in a conversation about a show, it's a bad show.

You only talk about toys if you're going out of your way to talk about it. It's not like there's any less show to talk about.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Reds posted:

So how come people get upset over the whole toy commercial thing?

what is this referring to, the show or the toy ad in the OP?

wrt the former, people dislike the merchandise aspect of the show because it sometimes comes with perceived or actual corporate interference, and can affect the pacing and writing of a show, in the sense that battles often seem to happen just to show off the toys. this is obviously part of why the shows work and are made at all, but thay doesn't make it not annoying or above (reasonable) complaints.

the toy ad in the op...well mostly that's just unnecessary/not super relevant but also not a big deal. i don't think it was treated as such either

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I guess I'm just of the opinion that as long as there's no big plot-killing "the execs said sell the toy here" then I don't really care as long as the show is fine.

I'm biased because I like model kits anyway.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That's a thing that has happened in many shows, including the original Gundam

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

For instance the G-Armor was dumb as hell and it had way too many scenes where they used it just for the sake of using it, and it's something that they had no say in.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Reds posted:

I guess I'm just of the opinion that as long as there's no big plot-killing "the execs said sell the toy here" then I don't really care as long as the show is fine.

I'm biased because I like model kits anyway.

i also like the plastic aspects, but kinda wish they didn't push it to the detriment of the shows. G-Reco maybe could've used less fights and more time for other things, regardless of Tomino's great fight direction. also it's really lame that a toy show doesn't make toys of all the robots they spend half a year+ making look cool.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

why was the Hecate such a show fixture if they weren't going to kit it??? mrgrgr

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i also like the plastic aspects, but kinda wish they didn't push it to the detriment of the shows. G-Reco maybe could've used less fights and more time for other things, regardless of Tomino's great fight direction. also it's really lame that a toy show doesn't make toys of all the robots they spend half a year+ making look cool.

MG G-self loving when Bandai

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Srice posted:

For instance the G-Armor was dumb as hell and it had way too many scenes where they used it just for the sake of using it, and it's something that they had no say in.

Well no poo poo it happened in the original Gundam considering when it was made. Considering how much of a flop 0079 was in its original line I don't blame them for grasping for extra sales.

I just can't think of it really impacting the shows other than having the villain factions poo poo out a new suit every week. The worst case I can think of other than the G-Armour is some guy in Seed changing sides because his Gundam wasn't selling very well.

I just don't think it'll have much of an impact on IBO. I also find it hard to find "too many fights" to be a problem, because I'm really tired of action shows that only have one brief fight scene every few episodes.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Droyer posted:

MG G-self loving when Bandai

Stop Droyer! I still need like 3 G-Reco HGs first!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

dogsicle posted:

why was the Hecate such a show fixture if they weren't going to kit it??? mrgrgr

gently caress your good suits, please buy more not-Zakus. God I am sick of Zakus. Mobile Suit Zaku: The Zakujin isn't helping. Give me my loving GMs already. The Jahannam getting two releases, even if one was a palette swap, was insulting when I couldn't even get the Reflector Pack as a non P-Bandai release.

Reds fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 3, 2015

• Locked thread