Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
My nephew recently started grade 7 and takes the bus for 2 hours every weekday. I took him to a local library to get him something to read for when he's on the bus, but he seems intimidated by novels. He's just not a reader. He just kept looking at covers, then when he saw a cool one, he opened it, saw it's a wall of text, and put it back. I don't know what he expected after the 5th time.

Anyway, I'm thinking manga could be a great gateway drug to the reading world.

In terms of themes, he loves Harry Potter and superhero movies and stuff like that, so something escapist would be ideal. He's not gonna get into some sad drama about a family running a fishing business. I can move him to different mangas later on if this works out and he develops a taste. That said, if you know an exceptional non-fantasy manga you think he'd like, go ahead, I'm gonna investigate every suggestion I get. And if there are multiple candidates, I might get him the first book of various mangas to see what sticks.

One caveat: please don't suggest anything with sexual fanservice. I don't want it to have girls with gigantic tits and panties shots. It has to be appropriate for this kid based on common cultural norms, not what's acceptable on the Internet (or Japan). This is very sheltered kid from a relatively conservative family, he's never even had unsupervised Internet access. I don't want to receive an angry phonecall about giving him cartoon T&A. Non-gritty DBZ-style violence is a-OK.

So to summarize:
-Simple, easy-to-follow manga
-Ideally, escapist/fantasy themes
-No sexy times
-EDIT: has to have an ending too

What would your recommendations be?

MachinTrucChose fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Maybe Fullmetal Alchemist? I don't remember much fanservice in it, and it is an action/fantasy story. Might have a more complex plot and more serious themes than what you're looking for, but perhaps that's not a bad thing.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 30, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One Piece is like one of the two good long running shounen series and fits what you're looking for pretty much perfectly.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

One Piece is like one of the two good long running shounen series and fits what you're looking for pretty much perfectly.

One Piece has a ton of fanservice.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

all shonen has tons of fanservice because teenage boys are horny universally

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

the only safe answer is giving him lots of shoujo stuff hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

all shonen has tons of fanservice because teenage boys are horny universally

I already mentioned FMA, which doesn't IIRC.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

hit up the #gattai IRC channel

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

hit up the #gattai IRC channel

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Maybe Fullmetal Alchemist? I don't remember much fanservice in it, and it is an action/fantasy story. Might have a more complex plot and more serious themes than what you're looking for, but perhaps that's not a bad thing.

FMA seems like a great choice. The art seems very clearer/more appealing too, compared to One Piece. Thanks.

Sakurazuka posted:

I just looked it up. It seems like it's one of those never-ending series, I would prefer something with a conclusion.

However, I googled "shounen" and found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh%C5%8Dnen_manga

I only looked through a few of the synopsises but it seems like this is the category I'm looking for.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

I already mentioned FMA, which doesn't IIRC.

it has some, arakawa usually doesnt have much in her series though

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

naruto

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

too sexy

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Toriko! Or, hell, if he's into videogames, give him the Pokemon mangas. Another good thing is Kekkaishi -- it's got plenty of action, no fanservice, and it's about exorcists who can create magical barriers, fighting against ghosts and malevolent spirits and such.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
If you didn't include the caveat of "needs to have an ending" I might say Nichijou, but then again it won't have an English localized print until spring 2016 so I guess that's out. I'm struggling to think of anything that fits all the requirements and has also been printed in English.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

toriko has lots of ultraviolence which probably wouldn't fly, but also one plotline is the heroes trying to take the gigantic testicles of the worlds strongest monkey

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

also re:kekkaishi

:mrgw:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

full metal alchemist is probably the best bet, having reviewed all the evidence. case closed.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

the only real caveat is that it its not a happy escapist fantasy world really, and deals with a lot of darker human motivations and prejudices openly, but off the top of my head I think somebody who could handle the last harry potter books/movies could handle them fine.

its not all dark either, theres a lot of levity and comedy in the world, its just a bit more tempered than you might find in other comics.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Rurouni Kenshin is basically a fighting game crossed with a historical story. Not fantasy, but certainly fantastical. It's got a bit of blood (because y'know, swords) but I'd say nothing significantly worse than what's in DBZ.

Slam Dunk is probably the most wholesome manga to ever come out of Jump, if he likes basketball at all (or even if he doesn't I sure don't)

If dated looking art isn't a problem, lots of people love Saint Seiya. For some reason.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
My list of recommendations for that age group would be:

Pokémon
Dragonball
Rurouni Kenshin
Buso Renkin
Full Metal Alchemist
Pandora Hearts
Soul Eater

Maybe Death Note if he calls it all gay and boring.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Soul Eater is also pretty fanservicey.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Soul Eater is also pretty fanservicey.

blairs gigantic naked titties

:worship:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

update: picture attatched

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

funny enough even though its mostly gone by the time they get to z early dragonball has tons of the stuff too

ranfan is my favorite cause shes a martial artist who wins fights by stripping to her underwear and just beating up idiots who are distracted by her.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008
I know your heart is in the right place but giving manga to children will just lead them down the wrong path. He should be chatting with his friends or playing candy crush on his cellphone.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
One Piece, but before you give it to him print out this picture and stick it over every panel with nami and robin in it

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

One Piece, but before you give it to him print out this picture and stick it over every panel with nami and robin in it

lol

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Shokugeki no soma

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

Shokugeki no soma

fly away troll.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
You could also give him some anime he can watch with his Christian parents. There's a fantastic little story about the first Christian missionaries in Japan called bible black, for example.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

You could also give him some anime he can watch with his Christian parents. There's a fantastic little story about the first Christian missionaries in Japan called bible black, for example.

sigh...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

this is why vegeta has a bad name... -_-

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Voluptuous
Erotic
Girls
Everywhere.
That's
Anime!

---

Full Metal Alchemist is probably your best bet for a safe gateway manga. I have faith he'll find the rest in due time.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

This, but unironically.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I haven't read them, but maybe some of the manga versions of Gundam series? All of the Gundam shows I've seen were pretty tasteful, and aces piloting giant robots with laserbeams sounds like something a 12 year old boy would like.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
One Piece has tits but it's not the kind of tits that are in like, ToLoveRu or Shokugeki or even Soul Eater. It's comparable to the giant questionable clad tits in superhero comics, honestly. Maybe in slightly better taste actually?

The question is what there is whats offensive: Tits in and of themselves, or giant, excruciatingly detailed, implausibly on-display tits that the story revolves around? Because using things that aren't Japanese as a scale, One Piece is less gross than a Transformers movie. Think of some T-Rated video game with big booby women in kind of impractical outfits, like maybe the games Blizzard makes and that's closer.

Unless your issues are with the anatomy on display, in which case your complaints should probably start with Foxy and Moria instead of Nami and Robin

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i think this guy should be the cool uncle and give his nephew a stack some parental approved reading material, but he slips in a volume or two of high school of the dead and to love ru in the middle of the stack

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Saint Seiya motherfucker

E: Dr Slump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

even shounen stuff has its fair share of tits so you might be better off with something like a calvin and hobbes collection

and get him reading books too; at least talk to his parents about reading harry potter or something with him

Motto fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 30, 2015

• Locked thread