Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Honestly, Rurouni Kenshin is probably your best bet since it matches your criteria to a T. The plot's straightforward, the good guys are good and the bad guys are bad, and the Meiji Era Japan setting is probably unlike anything he's encountered or familiar with (adding to that air of adventure). As a bonus, if this matters, the protagonist is the sort of person who prefers not to kill his opponents, though not all his allies feel the same way (and of course the bad guys don't). Overall it's a pretty feelgood offering and complete at 28 volumes. VIZ Media even went to the trouble of churning out three-in-one large print omnibus volumes, so you can save a little money while also ensuring it's easier to follow (and harder to lose track of).

Fullmetal Alchemist is also good but deals in heavier themes than you might be ready to introduce him to. I actually think it'd be a good comic for him to read because of this, but ultimately it's your call. If he takes to it though, it might actually be worth your time to read it alongside him or just ahead of him so you can talk about it if the mood or need strikes.

One Piece is actually fairly tame for the majority of its run, but if any fanservice ever at all is a detraction (alongside the fact that it's ongoing) then yeah, steer clear. Alternatively, there's not much objectionable about the first two story sagas (East Blue and Baroque Works), the latter of which even has a natural-feeling "Ending" to it, so he could always read that far then stop there till he's older. That said, the very tail end of BW does have a quick little scene that probably violates the no sexy times rule.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'd recommend hunterxhunter, op

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm gonna check everything out.

dipple posted:

I know your heart is in the right place but giving manga to children will just lead them down the wrong path. He should be chatting with his friends or playing candy crush on his cellphone.

You jest but according to him every boy on the bus plays mobile games (Clash of Clans and others), and it's practically the sole discussion subject. He's in a private school that tried to be hip and required everyone to get an iPad, this is the result. He's not allowed to install games on his iPad (parental directive) so he's basically an outcast. I don't know how true this is, but it wouldn't surprise me considering every adult on public transport is usually buried in their phone, and children have even less control.

OnimaruXLR posted:

One Piece has tits but it's not the kind of tits that are in like, ToLoveRu or Shokugeki or even Soul Eater. It's comparable to the giant questionable clad tits in superhero comics, honestly. Maybe in slightly better taste actually? ...

I looked it up on Google Images, and you're right, I don't think there would be an issue with the female characters in One Piece. It's not blatantly trying to titillate like ToLoveRu, and it doesn't seem like the sort of manga where the protagonist ends up spying on Female Character while she undresses.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
Fullmetal Alchemist is probably your best bet, but I'll also throw in my hat for Kekkaishi despite that one tame image of a girl in a bath. Another very Japanese fantasy one to consider is Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, I didn't read much of it but I don't remember any fanservice and the way the story played out I doubt there was any later on.

I don't know if he thinks it would look "too old" but Yu Yu Hakusho is 19 volumes, and aside from one scene at the beginning where the main character flips a girl's skirt (from behind so you can't even see her panties) I'm pretty confident in saying there's nothing pervy in the rest of the manga. It does just kind of fizzle out and ends awkwardly though, but maybe it's good to set that precedent of lackluster manga/anime endings while he's still young.

Speaking of things with an abrupt ending, Psyren is a really solid series with a whole "changing the future timeline" type story that isn't hard to follow, as well as some pretty cool characters, powers, and fights.

edit: Oh, there's also Busou Renkin, and while it's not as good as Rurouni Kenshin it is a standard, solid action series that tells a complete tale at 10 volumes, and the closest thing to fanservice I can think of is some male almost-nudity by the eccentric, fabulous Papillon Mask.

Protodude fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 30, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Your nephew should read a real book

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Osamu Tezuka's Black Jack

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I really like sports manga, I would suggest "Eyeshield 21." I can't remember any fan-service, but I read it several years ago.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Buso Renkin was my favorite manga when I was around your nephews age, and it's still one of my favorites. Lots of action, a fun protaganist, a female lead that actually does stuff, and almost no fanservice. Most of the villains turn into giant monsters so the violence shouldn't be too bad. The only thing I could say is questionable is the rival, who wears a fabulous butterfly speedo, but I don't think he's portrayed in any way that isn't already meant to weird people out.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i think this guy should be the cool uncle and give his nephew a stack some parental approved reading material, but he slips in a volume or two of high school of the dead and to love ru in the middle of the stack

A cool uncle wouldn't give their nephews blue balls.

Thundersword238 posted:

Buso Renkin was my favorite manga when I was around your nephews age, and it's still one of my favorites. Lots of action, a fun protaganist, a female lead that actually does stuff, and almost no fanservice. Most of the villains turn into giant monsters so the violence shouldn't be too bad. The only thing I could say is questionable is the rival, who wears a fabulous butterfly speedo, but I don't think he's portrayed in any way that isn't already meant to weird people out.

The cool thing about Papillion is that he expands your horizons and twists everything you thought about villains.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

The cool thing about Papillion is that he expands your horizons and twists everything you thought about sexuality.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I did originally write that, but I thought hard about posting it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zatch bell is cool

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If you can find it (be prepared to drop some change, it's out of print) BLAME! is real, real good and doesn't have all too much objectionable in it iirc- some violence, maybe some cursing (I read a scanlation so I'm not sure about the Tokyopop translation), and no sex.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Strongest Man Kurosawa, Akagi, Ten and Ultimate Survivor Kaiji.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

If you can find it (be prepared to drop some change, it's out of print) BLAME! is real, real good and doesn't have all too much objectionable in it iirc- some violence, maybe some cursing (I read a scanlation so I'm not sure about the Tokyopop translation), and no sex.

For a 12 year old who isn't willing to read books of any size? Really?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

Strongest Man Kurosawa, Akagi, Ten and Ultimate Survivor Kaiji.

Finally somebody who isn't a troll.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

jus tmake the kid read a bunch of sports series jeez

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No sex, no fan service, some light swearing and very minimal violence -- these 5000 page tomes about gambling are your best bet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the real joke is that most people get motion sickness trying to read on long bus trips, especially if they aren't very used to it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This kid should watch NGE with his parents.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Usagi Yojimbo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Serious Frolicking posted:

For a 12 year old who isn't willing to read books of any size? Really?

It's not exactly a terribly wordy comic, iirc, and even though it's kind of slow-paced the art is beautiful and there's a decent amount of action and badassery?

e: full disclosure, I read it when I was approx. that age and I'm 21 now. I've read most of Nihei's other stuff since, none of which fits this thread's aim pretty much (except maybe NOiSE? but even that's a fair bit more hosed up than I remember BLAME being), but haven't really gone back to BLAME.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

barefoot gen

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
crows/worst will have him well prepared for high school life

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
give your nephew a 3ds

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

In Training posted:

No sex, no fan service, some light swearing and very minimal violence -- these 5000 page tomes about gambling are your best bet.
Kurosawa isn't about gambling.

Well, maybe thematically.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Kurosawa isn't about gambling.

Well, maybe thematically.

He's definitely gambling on his future.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Not manga, but certainly influenced by it, I recommend you check out Kazu Kibuishi's Amulet series. It seems ideal for this.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Give him Koe no Katachi/A Silent Voice to scare him straight.

Also it's about kids around his age.

Edit: I should explain the subject matter, I guess. Koe no Katachi is about a deaf girl and the people surrounding her, and the effects of bullying. It involves some pretty heavy stuff attempted suicide so it's probably not a great gateway manga, but it would be good for him to read it at some point because it's just a straight up great manga.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 2, 2015

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
^^ seconding this one, though too heavy. maybe if he gets bullied he will relate?

Let me help you out here and suggest my hero academia, which for a 12 year old should be :perfect:

dunno if it's being already published on the us though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tarezax posted:

Give him Koe no Katachi/A Silent Voice to scare him straight.

Also it's about kids around his age.

Edit: I should explain the subject matter, I guess. Koe no Katachi is about a deaf girl and the people surrounding her, and the effects of bullying. It involves some pretty heavy stuff attempted suicide so it's probably not a great gateway manga, but it would be good for him to read it at some point because it's just a straight up great manga.
isn't that manga about high schoolers

and also i would not recommend it to a 12 year old. im sorry.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

loving Dragon Ball Z holy poo poo what 12 year old boy doesn't love the gently caress out of Dragon Ball Z

also buy him cowboy bebop on dvd. it's violent and faye is hot but enh

Amorphous Blob fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 2, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

legend of the galactic heroes

those are light novels, best of both worlds

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Endorph posted:

isn't that manga about high schoolers

and also i would not recommend it to a 12 year old. im sorry.

Starts when they're twelve, then timeskips five years to high school

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

legend of the galactic heroes

those are light novels, best of both worlds

Aren't they straight up novels, that aren't actually translated into English?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm sure an 11 year old would absolutely love LoGH, it'd be super interesting to them I'm sure.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

*11 year old voice* Woah....I definitely give a poo poo about the strengths and weaknesses of democracy.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Aren't they straight up novels, that aren't actually translated into English?

a good opportunity to learn a new language at the same time

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm sure an 11 year old would absolutely love LoGH, it'd be super interesting to them I'm sure.

11 year olds love napoleonic era diplomacy in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Here's a serious suggestion: Have you considered ebooks? With most decent ereaders you can adjust the font size, meaning he could see as much or as little of the text as he feels he can handle. If you're really sold on manga, consider that many manga are sold as ebooks now, meaning he could read them on his tablet! Ebook manga are often cheaper than physical volumes as well, unless you're really big on getting him into physical books.

• Locked thread