Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Junior G-man posted:

Have we at long last reached Peak Grauniad?

No, there is always more, and it is always worse.

e: 3 - The rule of emperor Augustus is renewed for a ten-year period. One of the better emperors by all accounts, as at least he didn't gently caress a pig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fans posted:

And then we'd have never known if the staunchly anti-nuclear, anti-war Corbyn would have or not.

It would have left some room for doubt.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Junior G-man posted:

If it included "and it's all Corbyn's fault" it would be, but as of now it falls short tantalizingly close to the apex.

Pissflaps posted:

It would have left some room for doubt.

It would have left about as much doubt as the possibility that Corbyn was lying when he said he'd never push the button does right now.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

JosephWongKS posted:

David Cameron seems to have be almost completely unscathed by all of Mandelson's Ashcroft's allegations so far, up to and including the allegations involving his carnal knowledge of a severed pig's head. How? How? Are Labour and the other opposition parties that weak, or does David Cameron / the Tories truly have that much of a stranglehold over the levers of power in the UK?
Conservative voters don't care about pigfucking, and people who do care have never voted for him in the first place.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Which one of you made this?

He looks like he's on top of a Christmas tree, like a star or an angel, but even better.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pissflaps posted:

We're allowed to have a Prime MInister with pretty much any views on any subject, if he can command the support of his party and the voters.

I'm not entirely sure we're even having the same argument here.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Forgall posted:

Conservative voters don't care about pigfucking, and people who do care have never voted for him in the first place.
I thought Conservative voters were supposed to be the moralists who were against all these drugs and breakdown of the family and deviant sex and foreigns (except the good ones).

Stottie Kyek posted:

He looks like he's on top of a Christmas tree, like a star or an angel, but even better.
If it's someone in the thread I will buy one. Or trade one for an equivalent amount of labor by mutual exchange.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pissflaps posted:

We're allowed to have a Prime MInister with pretty much any views on any subject, if he can command the support of his party and the voters.

Miliband said he wouldn't use them either.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

This one stands out to me

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/30/i-didnt-get-the-prenatal-tests-for-downs-syndrome-heres-why#comment-60532804

"Why does a shop assistant appear shocked when I tell her I have no plans to abort my baby after she asked a completely innocuous and unrelated question?"

The actual point she is making could be interesting if it wasn't buried in a smug and stupid article.

Also a while back there was an article about why it isn't anti feminist to teach her daughter how to cook. I was so relieved she had cleared that up - teaching my children life skills that might pigeon hole them as 'someone who needs to eat occasionally' was filling me with guilt.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I thought Conservative voters were supposed to be the moralists who were against all these drugs and breakdown of the family and deviant sex and foreigns (except the good ones).
They're against these sorts of things when it's feckless poors doing it. When they do it it's just a bit of harmless japes - intelligent and productive men and women letting off a little steam. When poors do it it's a symptom of their low morals and inability to Get On.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Private Speech posted:

Miliband said he wouldn't use them either.

....keep going.

edit: does anybody have a source for this btw? I don't remember him saying it and apparently neither does Google.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Stottie Kyek posted:

Turns out he is indeed on top of a christmas tree, and you can buy him here

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/250000101/jeremy-corbyn-alternative-xmas-tree

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Turns out the government's new Extremism Analysis Unit have been working really, really hard to monitor the UK universities they accused of supporting extremist speakers. They worked so hard, they pressed both ctrl+c AND ctrl+v on a neoconservative thinktank report. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/no-10s-extremism-report-mirrors-text-thinktank-study

Times Higher Education posted:

No 10’s extremism report mirrors text of thinktank study

Sections of a Downing Street statement that accused universities of hosting hate preachers are identical to those featured in a report by a controversial thinktank, Times Higher Education has learned.

As new rules on how universities monitor events by outside speakers came into force last month, the prime minister said that institutions had a “duty to protect impressionable young minds” and to ensure that “radical views and ideas are not given the oxygen they need to flourish”.

“At least 70 events featuring hate speakers were held on campuses, according to the government’s new Extremism Analysis Unit”, the Downing Street statement added.

But four universities – Queen Mary University of London; Soas, University of London; King’s College London; and Kingston University – that were named as hosting the most events involving extremist speakers said that they were perplexed by the accusation, which Soas insisted contained “inaccuracies”.

Queen Mary’s principal, Simon Gaskell, complained that his institution had had no contact from the Extremism Analysis Unit, which seemed to have produced the figures.

THE has now learned that the source of much of the data is likely to be a recent report by Student Rights, an arm of the Henry Jackson Society.

Written by Student Rights director Rupert Sutton, the Preventing Prevent report lists the four London universities mentioned by Downing Street in its own table of the most-visited universities.

It also includes a list of former students later convicted of terrorism-related offences – of whom eight are also mentioned in the Downing Street statement using terms that are identical or almost identical to ones used in the Student Rights report.

For instance, both reports state that Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab “had repeatedly contacted extremists who were under MI5 surveillance” while he was a student at University College London, before being “convicted in 2012, of attempted murder and terrorism, after trying to bomb a passenger flight to Detroit in 2009”.

An independent inquiry commissioned by UCL later found no evidence to suggest that the Nigerian student had been radicalised on campus or that he had exhibited any signs of a propensity to radicalisation.

THE has repeatedly tried to contact Downing Street to establish the source of information contained in its 17 September statement, but it has not received a response.

However, THE understands that only the figure about the 70 events came from the Extremism Analysis Unit, with the source of the remaining material remaining unclear.

The seemingly unattributed use of the Henry Jackson Society material is likely to concern many within the sector, with several students’ unions accusing the organisation of pursuing an Islamophobic agenda.

David Miller, professor of sociology at the University of Bath, who co-authored a book on the origins of the Henry Jackson Society and its funding from pro-Israel supporters, called for the government to publish the source of its data to show that they were “not of dubious provenance”.

“The Prevent duty depends on having objective information and clear evidence about how universities are responding to it – information must be transparent and unimpeachable,” Professor Miller said.

“HJS is not an academic body, but a campaigning thinktank with a neoconservative...agenda, so the notion that it could set the agenda on extremism is staggering,” he added.

In response, Mr Sutton said that Spinwatch, with whom Professor Miller published his book, had itself received funding from controversial sources such as the Cordoba Foundation, which has been labelled the “political front for the Muslim Brotherhood” by David Cameron.

“Spinwatch is funded by the very extremists Prevent seeks to challenge. So it is no surprise to us to see it working to undermine Prevent, as well as labelling those organisations actively working to challenge extremism with scurrilous accusations of Islamophobia to distract from its own insidious agenda,” he said.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

£30.00 plus shipping from Brighton.

Why am I not surprised.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
If you think there's any less doubt that kindly old uncle Jeremy would not decide to wipe a handful of Soviet cities off the face of the Earth in a futile gesture of revenge just because he actually said he wouldn't, you weren't paying attention and you're just looking for something to get het up about.

Anyway, I don't think Trident will be a terminal issue unless certain factions want it to be, although I'm sure it will have it's difficulties. I can think of at least one major political party that has managed to hang together and even win elections despite a bitter and longstanding internal disagreement that's going to be the subject of an enormous public debate and referendum in the near future.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Without knowing any of the content of these speeches it's difficult to really say anything constructive. My gut reaction, predictably, is that whenever you hear about governments cracking down on students, academics, and universities it's rarely a prelude to anything good in terms of civil liberties.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Barry Foster posted:

They've put a tie on him, the devils!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Guavanaut posted:

£30.00 plus shipping from Brighton.

Why am I not surprised.

How many hours do we think it takes to hand make one of those? Any knitting experts here?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

If it included "and it's all Corbyn's fault" it would be, but as of now it falls short tantalizingly close to the apex.

It would have left about as much doubt as the possibility that Corbyn was lying when he said he'd never push the button does right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord of the Llamas posted:

How many hours do we think it takes to hand make one of those? Any knitting experts here?
I wasn't complaining about the price so much as thinking 'Brighton. Of course. Where else would hand knitted Corbyn tree toppers come from.'

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Not that long for the crochet, the putting together would be the worst part.

Do we do ever do Secret Santa in this thread? Cos I could whip up a few of those I am sure.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Guavanaut posted:

I wasn't complaining about the price so much as thinking 'Brighton. Of course. Where else would hand knitted Corbyn tree toppers come from.'

Fair enough. Could've been Bristol.

In other news Simon Jenkins has some good news; there is no housing crisis! The poors just need to hurry up and socially cleanse themselves.

I swear he's saying that all we need to do is status quo even harder.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 1, 2015

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Pissflaps posted:

....keep going.

edit: does anybody have a source for this btw? I don't remember him saying it and apparently neither does Google.

I thought you liked Ed? Anyway the point is that Corbyn was just repeating his "I wouldn't press the button" which came up in the pre-election debates. To be fair the question was more specific and he faffed a bit about it, but in the end it amounted to the same thing.

link

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

suzanne moore is the guardian columnist who is most upset by corbyn i think

(except for blair)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I reckon there's a 'real or fake Guardian article' online quiz in the making here

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

In other news Simon Jenkins has some good news; there is no housing crisis! The poors just need to hurry up and socially cleanse themselves.

quote:

Even the poorest newcomers seem to find somewhere (usually private) to rent.
He's right, you know.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Private Speech posted:

I thought you liked Ed? Anyway the point is that Corbyn was just repeating his "I wouldn't press the button" which came up in the pre-election debates. To be fair the question was more specific and he faffed a bit about it, but in the end it amounted to the same thing.

link

This is nothing like what Corbyn said.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Private Speech posted:

link
That question is absolutely ridiculous.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

XMNN posted:

That question is absolutely ridiculous.

Not if they're talking about Trident and someone starts going 'b-b-but terrorists!' Then it's a pretty good followup question

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Pissflaps posted:

This is nothing like what Corbyn said.

The full quote was closer but either way the pro-nuclear people were all "what if Isis nuked us first". Which might have been taking it to the extreme, but what's the difference between ISIS civilians and say Russian civilians anyway?

OK yeah it was a bit ridiculous.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Ed, would you use Trident to de-ice your car?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

baka kaba posted:

Not if they're talking about Trident and someone starts going 'b-b-but terrorists!' Then it's a pretty good followup question
Why would you use nuclear weapons on a non-nuclear pseudo-state at any point ever? It's a ludicrous proposition.

I still don't think it makes any difference whether a lifelong anti-nuclear campaigner and pacifist explicitly confirms that he wouldn't launch a retaliatory nuclear strike or not. It's not enough of a cast-iron guarantee that it would induce the Reds to initiate a first strike even in a world where the Americans don't have thousands of warheads aimed at them and he wasn't going to use the threat of nuclear bombings as a bargaining chip anyway. It's a non-development.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
use tactical nukes on yourselves to hunt terrorists, oops hit some rich guys manor, oops did it again, oops.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Guavanaut posted:

He's right, you know.

I've seen it argued that it could be a PR stunt. Not that it affects your point.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Overminty posted:

I've seen it argued that it could be a PR stunt. Not that it affects your point.
Looks like you're right. I thought it was a bit low. :v:

Have a mattress and a microwave for 780 a month instead.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-53770109.html

(I'm not being 100% fair. You get a toilet too. And a chandelier!)

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

That article is just so catastrophically bad.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Guavanaut posted:

Looks like you're right. I thought it was a bit low. :v:

Have a mattress and a microwave for 780 a month instead.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-53770109.html

(I'm not being 100% fair. You get a toilet too. And a chandelier!)

also it is beautiful and bright, so there's that

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Junior G-man posted:

That article is just so catastrophically bad.

"Did Labour's new kindness initiative cause my nose to bleed? No, it didn't but here's an article about it anyway"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

XMNN posted:

Why would you use nuclear weapons on a non-nuclear pseudo-state at any point ever? It's a ludicrous proposition.

I still don't think it makes any difference whether a lifelong anti-nuclear campaigner and pacifist explicitly confirms that he wouldn't launch a retaliatory nuclear strike or not. It's not enough of a cast-iron guarantee that it would induce the Reds to initiate a first strike even in a world where the Americans don't have thousands of warheads aimed at them and he wasn't going to use the threat of nuclear bombings as a bargaining chip anyway. It's a non-development.

Well yeah, that's why going on about IS in the context of Britain's nuclear deterrent is silly. It's pretty much a thought-terminating cliche at this point, so the natural response is to actually follow it to its absurd conclusion

And the Corbyn thing is silly because we're imagining some bizarro world where the UK is about to be invaded by who knows, and the entire world-changing and possibly world-ending decision rests on the fact Corbyn said 'don't wanna'. Sounds like a right wing comic where America gets invaded because the lefty peacenik government lets the reds know they're weak and then you get tanks driving through McDonalds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

e: 3 - The rule of emperor Augustus is renewed for a ten-year period. One of the better emperors by all accounts, as at least he didn't gently caress a pig.
No, he just hosed democracy! :v:

• Locked thread