Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
After several false starts for games and a cross-country move I've finally rounded people up for a spooktacular Deadlands game

I'm wavering between finding a good pre-made to start the campaign off on so I can start asap or taking my time to sketch out a long term general campaign plan/first adventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Blockhouse posted:

After several false starts for games and a cross-country move I've finally rounded people up for a spooktacular Deadlands game

I'm wavering between finding a good pre-made to start the campaign off on so I can start asap or taking my time to sketch out a long term general campaign plan/first adventure

I have never actually found a good Deadlands pre-made. So if you find one please share!

For about a year now I've really wanted to run ETU, but its never managed to come together.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pfox posted:

netflix and boo?

netflix and chiller :ghost:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Probably going to run a Monster of the Week game and get the three playbooks I wrote some playtesting.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

I would just like to let everyone know that I am finally getting around to watching Rick & Morty and enjoying it immensely.

"Wow, I really Cronenberg'd up the world, didn't I?"

That is all.

I said it somewhere recently, but I really have to start watching this show.

Lightning Lord posted:

As a Canadian-in-Exile, the scariest thing to me is Americans going out of their way to tell me how much they enjoy Tim Hortons.

Do any of the others try to fight you for the honour of Krispy Kreme?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Bieeardo posted:

I said it somewhere recently, but I really have to start watching this show.

It's pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOBoKxEcVAA

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

unseenlibrarian posted:

Probably going to run a Monster of the Week game and get the three playbooks I wrote some playtesting.

Do you have a link to those? I've never seen third party stuff for Monster of the Week before.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I thinking this month might be the perfect time to run A Red and Pleasant Land.

I'll probably run the Heart Queen's castle using Dungeon World, set Voivodja as its own domain in Ravenloft, and, quite possibly, make the world the current resting place of the Antediluvian Malkav.

:drac:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Gazetteer posted:

Do you have a link to those? I've never seen third party stuff for Monster of the Week before.

Sure, but as mentioned: mostly unplaytested and pretty much 'first time efforts at doing PBTA stuff at all.

The Athlete: Jocks, cheerleaders, would-be Olympians.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B67MVAfQf1SjcTNxb1RmY180d1k

The Celebrity: You know Roddy Mcdowell in Fright Night? David Tennant...also in Fright Night? Bruce Campbell in "My Name is Bruce?" Yeah.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B67MVAfQf1SjS2VDRWcxVkZpSlE

The Cryptozoologist: Because most of the sciency-playbooks were more about 'use science to kill monsters' instead of "use science to know about monsters"

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B67MVAfQf1SjZFBaYjZZTy05UzA

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Simian_Prime posted:

I thinking this month might be the perfect time to run A Red and Pleasant Land.

I'll probably run the Heart Queen's castle using Dungeon World, set Voivodja as its own domain in Ravenloft, and, quite possibly, make the world the current resting place of the Antediluvian Malkav.

:drac:
speaking of, it's really too bad bc i read a blurb for Red and Pleasant Land and it sounds like it would be totally up my alley if not for the whole 'written by an obsessive serial harasser who harassed women into quitting elfgames and vanishing from the internet' thing :(

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ningyou posted:

speaking of, it's really too bad bc i read a blurb for Red and Pleasant Land and it sounds like it would be totally up my alley if not for the whole 'written by an obsessive serial harasser who harassed women into quitting elfgames and vanishing from the internet' thing :(

Wat D:

What happened

Ooh it's by Zak Smith ok yeah

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You can play the game and avoid giving the bad internet guy money if you think piratical theft is a lesser evil.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

unseenlibrarian posted:

The Cryptozoologist: Because most of the sciency-playbooks were more about 'use science to kill monsters' instead of "use science to know about monsters"

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B67MVAfQf1SjZFBaYjZZTy05UzA

Yeah, I remember when I tried to run MotW and one of my players wanted to use the Action Scientist playbook, and I was like "I'm trying to run an occult horror game, and you want to play Iron Man?"

(To be fair, every single character she makes in an RPG is some variation of "gender-switched Tony Stark.")

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Ningyou posted:

My background is in art history, so I've pretty much come to terms with disliking an artist as a person while still enjoying their art.

One of my fav painters is Caravaggio, and he straight-up murdered a dude over a tennis match.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Or you could just do your own Alice in Wonderland v Dracula in Toothville in a battle that ravages the entire public domain.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Simian_Prime posted:

One of my fav painters is Caravaggio, and he straight-up murdered a dude over a tennis match.

Sounds like a badass

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

There's a slight difference between overlooking the flaws of a long-dead person who will never profit from your appreciation, and a living person who can benefit from your money or attention. Not to mention the long-dead person was likely around in an age where most of the folks had the morality of cat-burners or slaveowners or crusaders or whatever, and the living person is in an age where we have a whole lot of tools enabling us to Know Better.

Not to say you can't enjoy Red and Pleasant Land, it's your call, but it's a different and far more lively can of worms.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Simian_Prime posted:

My background is in art history, so I've pretty much come to terms with disliking an artist as a person while still enjoying their art.

i'd argue that there's a difference between someone who accidentally...? killed somebody hundreds of years ago and someone who intentionally stalks and harasses marginalized folx and obsessively namesearches for new targets in the *now* (and revels in people going 'hey that's kind of hosed up' because SJW TEARS HEH or something???, and harassed mikan til she was a panicky, withdrawn wreck afraid to have any web presence at all) but uh you do you i guess

e: who~ops sorta-beaten

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Ningyou posted:

i'd argue that there's a difference between someone who accidentally...? killed somebody hundreds of years ago and someone who intentionally stalks and harasses marginalized folx and obsessively namesearches for new targets in the *now* (and revels in people going 'hey that's kind of hosed up' because SJW TEARS HEH or something???, and harassed mikan til she was a panicky, withdrawn wreck afraid to have any web presence at all) but uh you do you i guess

e: who~ops sorta-beaten

Fair enough. I do agree that Zac S is a lovely person, and not considering a product based on a person's behavior is perfectly valid. (I feel the same whenever people tell me about Ender's Game, knowing what I do about Orson Scott Card)

I dunno, there's definitely a conflict for me, because I was impressed enough by ARaPL that I was willing to give my feelings about its author a pass, which is something I don't do often. The artwork and aesthetic are a rare treat in this day and age where most RPG art is just the same overpainted Photoshop fantasy stuff that you see on M:tG cards.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
i just saw Trick R Treat and liked it a lot!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Simian_Prime posted:

Fair enough. I do agree that Zac S is a lovely person, and not considering a product based on a person's behavior is perfectly valid. (I feel the same whenever people tell me about Ender's Game, knowing what I do about Orson Scott Card)

I dunno, there's definitely a conflict for me, because I was impressed enough by ARaPL that I was willing to give my feelings about its author a pass, which is something I don't do often. The artwork and aesthetic are a rare treat in this day and age where most RPG art is just the same overpainted Photoshop fantasy stuff that you see on M:tG cards.

Conscious consumption is a lie considering that anyone posting here is using an electronic device whose creation involved the brutal exploitation under subhuman conditions of african and southeast-asian laborers in order to reduce costs and increase profit rates of CEOs because that's how Capital works hahaha!

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

NutritiousSnack posted:

One of my favorite Halloween movies of all time! What was your favorite segment?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks for all the hit location rpg recommendations gents.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Conscious consumption is a lie considering that anyone posting here is using an electronic device whose creation involved the brutal exploitation under subhuman conditions of african and southeast-asian laborers in order to reduce costs and increase profit rates of CEOs because that's how Capital works hahaha!

I'm predicting that, five years from now, a company in Portland will offer a free-trade, artisanal smartphone that costs 3 times as much as your typical iPhone.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Simian_Prime posted:

I'm predicting that, five years from now, a company in Portland will offer a free-trade, artisanal smartphone that costs 3 times as much as your typical iPhone.

The trick is that the while the assembly is made in Portland the parts are still made with congolese Coltan

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

The trick is that the while the assembly is made in Portland the parts are still made with congolese Coltan

Marginalizing Africans is a proud Portland tradition!

(Man that reads like a Cards Against Humanity joke)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Hey so did that Savage Worlds: Rifts thing die on the vine already or is that still happening?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

FewtureMD posted:

One of my favorite Halloween movies of all time! What was your favorite segment?

Honestly Surprise Party, though The Principal and Meet Sam were great

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Bieeardo posted:

Do any of the others try to fight you for the honour of Krispy Kreme?

I just think Timmy's makes bad coffee and bad, microwaved donuts. KK actually makes theirs.

This is actually true. On some level, it's shitbags all the way down. In the wake of the Scott Allie controversy in comics (long story short, dude is a senior editor at Dark Horse, and he got wasted at a con party, bit a dude and grabbed his junk and has been doing that kind of thing for years because he's an alcoholic) David Brothers wrote about this http://tumblr.iamdavidbrothers.com/post/130368181942/this-is-something-thats-been-weighing-on-me-and-i

That said, it doesn't mean nobody should ever decide that something isn't for them for a moral reason. "Shitbags all the way down" is indeed true but it can be a moral copout. Electronic devices are pretty much indispensable in this fallen world. Entertainment isn't, especially when there's so much of it around. That doesn't mean I think someone's a monster or I'll stop respecting them or being their friend or whatever if they want to do something like run Red and Pleasant Land. But I don't think it makes them immune from criticism for doing so either.

Of course, I might have to swallow my own bitter medicine soon. Scott Allie is the editor of most, if not all of the Hellboy stuff and that's my favorite comic so... gently caress. I'm probably not going to boycott it, but I hope he gets fired or his job is made contingent on going to rehab.

theironjef posted:

Hey so did that Savage Worlds: Rifts thing die on the vine already or is that still happening?

Pinnacle is known for being tight lipped, so expect news to show up out of the blue when they have something of substance. They're probably going to miss the Christmas date since this is RPGs, but who knows? From google I have learned that playtests are occurring, so that's good news.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 5, 2015

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You impugned Tim's. We can no longer be friends, LL.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Arivia posted:

You impugned Tim's. We can no longer be friends, LL.

My cousin used to work there and I got to see how the sausage is made.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

There hasn't been any official news on the Rifts Savage Worlds stuff since the initial announcement. I've heard scuttlebutt on details but nothing verifiable so far. You'd think they would have had something for Gencon and the Rifts 25th anniversary, but it's been pretty quiet.

A lot depends on how well Palladium handles the approval process. Hopefully it'll go well, but history is not a great indicator there.

On a mildly related note, the TMNT cartoon has had some nerd flags showing when they recently introduced the "Dream Beavers", which were thinly veiled revamps of the Terror Bears from the old Palladium TMNT RPG. The show also had a running gag all last season with the fictional cartoon "Crognard the Barbarian", a He-Man / Thunder knockoff who relentlessly murders everything in his path.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

New Halloween avatar!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Love the eyebrows!

Lightning Lord posted:

I just think Timmy's makes bad coffee and bad, microwaved donuts. KK actually makes theirs.

I didn't know that about the doughnuts, but yeah, there's a reason why everyone seems to order a double-double.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dream Beaver

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

My most cherished GM mask.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Very soon, just in time for Halloween, store shelves at major retailers across America will have "dire beaver" and "dark beaver" action figures available for sale.

Make of that what you will.

Serf
May 5, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

This movie is fantastic. Whenever Halloween rolls around and we start watching horror movies, there's always one person who's like "I don't watch horror movies" and we get them to watch Trick R Treat and its amazing to see their reaction. Like nothing in that movie is scary, its just awesome. It's great for getting people into the Halloween spirit even if they're not into horror movies.

Also, if anyone is into horror movies, you should watch It Follows because that's the best horror film I've seen in a while. Badass and unconventional sountrack too.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Fly me high through the starry skies
Maybe to an astral plane
Cross the highways of fantasy
Help me to forget today's pain

Oooh dream beaver!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I already bought my "Sexy Tabletop Gamer" costume at Party City.

• Locked thread