Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I thinking this month might be the perfect time to run A Red and Pleasant Land.

I'll probably run the Heart Queen's castle using Dungeon World, set Voivodja as its own domain in Ravenloft, and, quite possibly, make the world the current resting place of the Antediluvian Malkav.

:drac:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

unseenlibrarian posted:

The Cryptozoologist: Because most of the sciency-playbooks were more about 'use science to kill monsters' instead of "use science to know about monsters"

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B67MVAfQf1SjZFBaYjZZTy05UzA

Yeah, I remember when I tried to run MotW and one of my players wanted to use the Action Scientist playbook, and I was like "I'm trying to run an occult horror game, and you want to play Iron Man?"

(To be fair, every single character she makes in an RPG is some variation of "gender-switched Tony Stark.")

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Ningyou posted:

speaking of, it's really too bad bc i read a blurb for Red and Pleasant Land and it sounds like it would be totally up my alley if not for the whole 'written by an obsessive serial harasser who harassed women into quitting elfgames and vanishing from the internet' thing :(

My background is in art history, so I've pretty much come to terms with disliking an artist as a person while still enjoying their art.

One of my fav painters is Caravaggio, and he straight-up murdered a dude over a tennis match.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Ningyou posted:

i'd argue that there's a difference between someone who accidentally...? killed somebody hundreds of years ago and someone who intentionally stalks and harasses marginalized folx and obsessively namesearches for new targets in the *now* (and revels in people going 'hey that's kind of hosed up' because SJW TEARS HEH or something???, and harassed mikan til she was a panicky, withdrawn wreck afraid to have any web presence at all) but uh you do you i guess

e: who~ops sorta-beaten

Fair enough. I do agree that Zac S is a lovely person, and not considering a product based on a person's behavior is perfectly valid. (I feel the same whenever people tell me about Ender's Game, knowing what I do about Orson Scott Card)

I dunno, there's definitely a conflict for me, because I was impressed enough by ARaPL that I was willing to give my feelings about its author a pass, which is something I don't do often. The artwork and aesthetic are a rare treat in this day and age where most RPG art is just the same overpainted Photoshop fantasy stuff that you see on M:tG cards.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Conscious consumption is a lie considering that anyone posting here is using an electronic device whose creation involved the brutal exploitation under subhuman conditions of african and southeast-asian laborers in order to reduce costs and increase profit rates of CEOs because that's how Capital works hahaha!

I'm predicting that, five years from now, a company in Portland will offer a free-trade, artisanal smartphone that costs 3 times as much as your typical iPhone.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The trick is that the while the assembly is made in Portland the parts are still made with congolese Coltan

Marginalizing Africans is a proud Portland tradition!

(Man that reads like a Cards Against Humanity joke)

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I already bought my "Sexy Tabletop Gamer" costume at Party City.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Yep, mine's like that, but 3 sizes larger and it comes with a wolf shirt.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Covok posted:

Personal opinion and this could be an anomaly in his work, but this guy might want to take a page from the school of comic writing that says your pictures should do 60% of the talking with the words doing the last 40%.

Agreed. If you're going to fill that much of the page with text, why even bother with illustration?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Not at all. We're talking about poo poo where metaphysics and phrases like "And so the sun went away and hid in a cave forever, and everyone was sad." are pretty common so having a lot of hard rules seem counter intuitive.

"Sun, roll your Hide in Shadows skill; you have to roll against DC 25 because you're a big shiny ball of fire. And did you purchase your Inflict Sadness feat?"

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

RIP grognards.txt

:rip:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

occamsnailfile posted:

I really wish SJG had it in them to do a fifth edition of GURPS. I'm pretty Steve Jackson wouldn't be able to unclench his hands from treasured habits out of the past even if it were profitable though, so 4th it is.

I don't think there's that much of a buyer demand, either. People who want GURPS just house rule the current system, and SJG is fine with that as long as the dump trucks full on Munchkin money keep rolling in.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

It doesn't help that "heroes fight goblins, and later a bigger goblin", has to be the most boring, low-effort adventure ever.

Goblins are dull.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Let's spend less time getting angry about elf games and more time getting ready for what was probably the first true role playing experience of our formative years... Halloween!

When I was three years old, my first character was a lion. Rawr!

Now I'm going as The Glam Rock Archangel of Decadence. I'd say I leveled up quite nicely.

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Y'all just jealous because you don't have the figure to pull off a silver spandex bodysuit.

• Locked thread