Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

The Locator posted:

Still overly warm this coming Saturday, with a high of 95, but the forecast is for breezy, yay!

loving christ...

Yeah, I'll take what I've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tomarse posted:

Did you try the yard I recommended last time? here You might be outside their delivery area though. They are a family run place and have been really good to me. Any trade merchant that remembers your name after a couple of visits, will give you stuff on credit and where the boss also gets out in the truck doing the deliveries whenever one of the normal drivers is off so that they are not late is a good place to deal with!

I'm miles outside their delivery area unfortunately, but the fellas at TP weren't condescending and deliver free :shrug:

Now if only their website showed prices.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Enourmo posted:

this loving principles of EE class has some of the most bass-ackwards circuit analysis i have ever heard of in my life

poo poo like an indicated current direction with a loving negative value

and i'm about to take an exam for it

i can analyze REAL circuits all day long but this poo poo with hosed up arrangements just for the sake of "CHALLENGING YOUR ABILITY" is pissing me off something awful

fuckin' college man

Electrical engineers are retarded and the method of assigning polarity doesn't follow the physical phenomenon anyways. KVLs and KCLs are pie and signage doesn't matter as long as you don't choose to switch a negative halfway through the circuit.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

SuperDucky posted:

loving christ...

What weather site is that?

Phone posted:

Electrical engineers are retarded and the method of assigning polarity doesn't follow the physical phenomenon anyways. KVLs and KCLs are pie and signage doesn't matter as long as you don't choose to switch a negative halfway through the circuit.

I'm now curious to what the EE method is. Ground is positive?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Jesus Christ. Just finished off a 15 minutes screaming match with a guy in sales about how we weren't going to give a customer a discount for doing a really stupid change to his policy and how that doesn't make sense and he's never going to go for it without a financial incentive.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Weatherspark. Its awesome, customizable, beautiful. I love it.

https://weatherspark.com/

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sigma X posted:

What weather site is that?

I'm now curious to what the EE method is. Ground is positive?

Not really, it's related to current flow vs electron flow; physics uses electron flow because that's what the physical phenomenon is, engineers like positive intergers so #yoloswag.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SuperDucky posted:

loving christ...

I'm a Phoenix native. I'd be freezing my loving rear end off with a high of 64 degrees.

Here is what the site shows for Tempe (where the lake is).

Looks like a loving beautiful day.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 1, 2015

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

I'm a Phoenix native. I'd be freezing my loving rear end off with a high of 64 degrees.
Stepped out into the 45F Minneapolitan air with big smile on my face this morning. Autumn rules.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

HALLO OKTOBER! This month is starting pretty awesome, got to turn my AC off today for the first time since May and got an e-mail from my advisor that stated I have now spent enough money as to warrant having a bachelors. Looks like I get to start hemorrhaging money come January on a masters.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

The Locator posted:

Here is what the site shows for Tempe (where the lake is).

Looks like a loving beautiful day.

I was still in shorts and a technical sailing last night!

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Got my toll fine sorted out, tried to leave some sarky feedback on the website aaaaaand:

:shepicide:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jammyozzy posted:

Got my toll fine sorted out, tried to leave some sarky feedback on the website aaaaaand:

:shepicide:
It's almost as if it's run by the same people who have decided that if a 17 year old is in a car alone, they can smoke, but if two 17 year olds are in a car smoking, the passenger has committed an offence and the driver has committed two.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Enourmo posted:

whats hosed up is i only need this class as a prerequisite for vibrations and controls. and i'm not actually learning anything that I didn't already know from physics 2, my automotive electrical classes, and said hands-on experience

everything we've learned these first six weeks can be summed up as "circuit reduction", i'm talking basic loving resistor circuits with voltage and current sources

it's a gently caress-you version of physics 2, just like dynamics is gently caress-you physics 1 and mechanics is just statics with added flavor.

God I hope thermodynamics is interesting next semester.

Are you sure you want to be an engineer?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Is there a post apoc story where the world isnt dust and sun but instead water and mud.

Waterworld doesnt count since no cars.

Letters from a Dead Man, but that poo poo is so bleak that I can't recommend it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is there a post apoc story where the world isnt dust and sun but instead water and mud.

"The Drowned World" has an interesting setting but I didn't love the story.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

kimbo305 posted:

Letters from a Dead Man, but that poo poo is so bleak that I can't recommend it.

Aww yeah thanks, I like(weird usage of like) bleak stories.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

Are you sure you want to be an engineer?

well its that or loving kill myslef give up and join the army to go get blown the gently caress up overseas cause i aint cut out for blue collar work

this is basically my third attempt at college. first time i dropped out and did drugs with money i didnt loving have, second time i got a loving useless AS degree to be a mechanic which it turns out i'm loving awful at when it's other peoiples' poo poo at stake. now im trying for a fuckening grownup degree to get a job that might eventually lead to me living independently for the first time in my nearly 30 years

about the only things im cut out for are loving playing guitar and playing racecar driver and those don't loving pay unless you start when you're like 4

everything else is various degrees of mental torture that i put mhyself through to eventually get some kind of paycheck

basically my life failed like 10 loving years ago and ive jsut been continuing on autopilot ever since hoping and pretending i'd figure out a way but i'm basically loving incompetent at everything and EVERY SINGLE CAREER PATH I'VE BEEN DOWN IN MY LIFE has wound up with people asking me that question and i honestly don't think i'll ever be able to say "yes i'm sure, this is something i enjoy and am good at".

e: i'm pretty sure i bombed the goddamn test in case that wasn't v obvious. happens anytime i actually try and prepare. because i am the loving anti-human, the harder i try the worse i fail

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 1, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

well its that or loving kill myslef give up and join the army to go get blown the gently caress up overseas cause i aint cut out for blue collar work

this is basically my third attempt at college. first time i dropped out and did drugs with money i didnt loving have, second time i got a loving useless AS degree to be a mechanic which it turns out i'm loving awful at when it's other peoiples' poo poo at stake. now im trying for a fuckening grownup degree to get a job that might eventually lead to me living independently for the first time in my nearly 30 years

about the only things im cut out for are loving playing guitar and playing racecar driver and those don't loving pay unless you start when you're like 4

everything else is various degrees of mental torture that i put mhyself through to eventually get some kind of paycheck

basically my life failed like 10 loving years ago and ive jsut been continuing on autopilot ever since hoping and pretending i'd figure out a way but i'm basically loving incompetent at everything and EVERY SINGLE CAREER PATH I'VE BEEN DOWN IN MY LIFE has wound up with people asking me that question and i honestly don't think i'll ever be able to say "yes i'm sure, this is something i enjoy and am good at".

e: i'm pretty sure i bombed the goddamn test in case that wasn't v obvious. happens anytime i actually try and prepare. because i am the loving anti-human, the harder i try the worse i fail

I know how you feel, minus the drugs. I'm on my third try too.

I'm doing physics, but I keep getting drug back into IT because its what I know and it makes money.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

basically i'm loving pissed off

pissed off that i can't go back and time andwhip loving teenage dipshit me onto a path that might actually benefit me

or at least get "him" to stop hanging out with dipshits who get you into drugs, mooch off you, then literally beat you down when you try and stand up for yourself

i have made so many bad decisions in life that where others look back fondly on their childhood/early adult years, all i see is whit hot blinding rage at would could have been, what i HAD HANDED TO ME and threw the gently caress away like a piece of poo poo who deserves to be burned alive for wasting his loving potential

i regret literally everything i've ever done in my entire life and making any different choice would have been an improvement

give me time travel so i can fix my loving life cause i'm pretty sure it's too late now

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enourmo posted:

give me time travel so i can fix my loving life cause i'm pretty sure it's too late now

It's not too late. Can't really help you with the rest of it, but I'm loving 50 years old and started my new career just under 5 years ago, so yea, you've got plenty of time to turn things around when you aren't quite 30 yet (if I read your posts right).

Some of us just take longer to figure poo poo out than everyone else, oh well, do the best you can to make your way in the world without killing anyone (including yourself). It's all we can really do in the end I think.

Only bit of real advice I can give you - no matter what you are doing, do your damned best at it, and get into that whole 'networking' bullshit, because in the end, it was the people I knew, not what I knew, that landed me in the career I'm now in. Prove to everyone you ever work with that you are a reliable, dependable, hard worker who is smart. Some day that might be what makes the real difference between getting a fantastic opportunity handed to you, instead of living in a cardboard box down by the river.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I know how you feel man.

I was a giant loving weaboo nerd until halfway throgh my second year of university when I realized that I was a loser and everyone I was hanging out with, weaboo or not, was a loser, and basically I'd have nothing to be proud of ten years down the line.

I did a huge 180, basically jettisoned the majority of my friends and got into cars because literally the only thing I had in my life after cutting all the nerd poo poo out was a 1989 Ford Taurus. I switched to an accounting major ended up hating it but just punched through it to get some sort of job when I graduated. Ended up in the lovely job I have now, trying to work my way into something better

Some days suck, some days are okay. It still feels like I'm punching above my weight some days but then I think at least I'm trying and if I didn't just keep making small steps I'd still be a weaboo nerd and unemployed with some liberal arts major.

EDIT: just noticed you're a "playing race car driver" bud as well. I bought the world's worst two stroke kart this year and can't afford tires so I've got four year old ones on. Nothing feels better than ripping around the track with it though :gbsmith:

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 1, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hey dudes, what's the best way to browse craigslist within like 500 miles of me? I'm looking for a 2004-2006 Forester 2.5XT Turbo/ Turbo premium and there are all of three for sale in Michigan

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

haha i wish i was that good, as close as i come is clipping the apex on highway offramps

i drive a loving MSP and its never even been to an autocross because i am that much of a loving poser

look at me i mostly post on a loving car forum and my sum total racing experience drag strip included could probably fit in a 10 minute youtube video

also re hard work maybe its just the poo poo jobs ive worked but in my experience working hard just makes you the go-to shop bitch that the managers take advantage of and threaten your job if you try and talk back

oh well who care's i'm 6'5" 350 lbs i'll probably be dead of heart failure before i graduate anyway (i tried working out for a few years, never felt any better about myself and ended up ragequitting when i failed a lift real bad one day)

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

Hey dudes, what's the best way to browse craigslist within like 500 miles of me? I'm looking for a 2004-2006 Forester 2.5XT Turbo/ Turbo premium and there are all of three for sale in Michigan

Search tempest.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

basically i'm loving pissed off

pissed off that i can't go back and time andwhip loving teenage dipshit me onto a path that might actually benefit me

or at least get "him" to stop hanging out with dipshits who get you into drugs, mooch off you, then literally beat you down when you try and stand up for yourself

i have made so many bad decisions in life that where others look back fondly on their childhood/early adult years, all i see is whit hot blinding rage at would could have been, what i HAD HANDED TO ME and threw the gently caress away like a piece of poo poo who deserves to be burned alive for wasting his loving potential

i regret literally everything i've ever done in my entire life and making any different choice would have been an improvement

I'll be turning 31 in 19 days and I only just started unfucking my life after what Adolescent Scuz did to it. Holy cow, that kid was a useless dick. Blew money on drugs, had a dozen jobs in 10 years, borrowed money from friends and relatives without ever paying it back, lived on credit cards, ruined 3 women's trust in men, you name it, he threw it at me. It's cliched and, for some, hollow, but my favorite proverb and one that's changed a lot of stuff about me:

a smart guy in china a long time ago posted:

The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second-best time is now.
:cheers:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Jesus this thread got dark.

Someone gave me a flat bill hat. It's for a vape company.

I already feel more like a douche. How the gently caress do people wear these? It's so uncomfortable.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tusen Takk posted:

Here, I'll save you some time: https://charleston.craigslist.org/ctd/5246127235.html

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Jesus this thread got dark.

I already feel more like a douche. How the gently caress do people wear these? It's so uncomfortable.
Crease the bill and say "oops sorry" and then they'll be forced to throw it away.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
It's all baby steps, which is extremely frustrating but I can tell you it eventually gets better. After I had my nervous breakdown from being a nerd I got a job at a junkyard working overtime, scrapped together enough money to buy a lovely VW Scirocco and despite not knowing how to drive manual or having touched a spanner before wrenched on it enough that it sort of looked like it would pass tech and entered an Autocross event where I ended up stalling out on course.

Still have the car and finished first in the historic class in a TSD Rally a few weeks ago. All baby steps man.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

You could try reading "Flood" and "Ark" by Stephen Baxter, but some of his opinions on human behaviour are a bit depressing.

iwentdoodie posted:

Get the bill really wet, curl it and jam it in a pint glass overnight?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Slow is Fast posted:

Search tempest.
:swoon: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Forester-Cross-tour-/281812478060?ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en&fromMakeTrack=true

Holy loving poo poo :stare: :haw: :fap:

if i can get $3000 for my Saturn I'll be stoked, how much do you guys reckon Forester XT's usually go for?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enourmo posted:

also re hard work maybe its just the poo poo jobs ive worked but in my experience working hard just makes you the go-to shop bitch that the managers take advantage of and threaten your job if you try and talk back

This is absolutely true. However, in 5 years, or 10, or 6 months.. Someone that you worked with that noticed how reliable you were, may be in a position to hire someone, and think of you.

It's also not just about your work, it's about your life in general. I got my current job because of a guy who I knew from 25 freaking years ago who remembered me as reliable and trustworthy, and as someone who could think and figure poo poo out. I didn't know him from work at all, I knew him from hitting each other with sticks (the SCA), something that I had stopped doing 20+ years ago.

Networking is all about knowing people and leaving good impressions, whether they are in a position to help you out today, or not. Down the road if they are on the other side of a desk (or phone, or email) from you, will they remember you as someone who they could trust and was dependable? In the end, that's why the company I'm with rolled the dice on me, because this guy who I shared a common interest with 25 years ago sold his boss on my dependability, not on what I knew about the job I was applying for (since that was exactly zero).

I don't even have a college degree, which was a 'requirement' for the job. Those 'requirements' are all bullshit too, ultimately they want good people to work for/with them, not a guy with a piece of paper, or 'x' years of experience or whatever.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I got my job autocrossing. Working the course, started talking about computers, then applied the next day and ended up getting the job. Seven years later..

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lightbulb Out posted:

I got my job autocrossing. Working the course, started talking about computers, then applied the next day and ended up getting the job. Seven years later..

I helped a fellow autocrosser get a job in a round-about way. After he graduated college, we just happened to have an opening that he was interested in so I got him in to go through the interview process, and they had him back for a 2nd interview. Ultimately we didn't hire him, but he told me later that the experience he had with us (his first tech-company interviews) was instrumental to him landing his dream job a short time later. The world is a strange place, and sometimes things that you think are 'bad' (like him not getting the job) turn out for the best.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

the worst thing about my whole mechanic poo poo is

unlike other lines of work, i can't even get a part-time job on the side to tide me over while i'm in school. any place that's actually good wants m-f 9-5 availability, and even the bottom end of the scale (sears) wasn't much better; if you didnt have full open availability you're working part time (but mostly 30+ hours a week except eveyr month or so you'd get a shift to keep your 8week average below 30. so you basically have to work fulltime for parttime benefits. and im sure all the other chain shops are like that.

having 12 credit hours and the extracurricular stuff im doing (shooting off loving model rockets wooooooooow) prety much doesnt let me work a part time job that utilizes skills i have. meaning those ~4 years were a waste and are doing me no good now. and the only jobs really open to me are retail/foodservice jobs. you look at how i act and how i talk on here and tell me if i'm loving capable of doing a job like that nowadays. (hint: no)

meanwhile my younger sisters gradueated 2-3 years ago and are both moving int oapartments with steady jobs and poo poo

why am i such a loving failure

sorry for making GBS threads up the chat thread everybody i have nowhere else to vent seeing as if i try and talk to my mom she ends up making me apologize for upsetting her, and my dad/s just a loving old school baby boomer "put your head down and work through it, don't let a completely nonfunctional brain stop you from succeeding just like i did [nevermind i never held a job more than 5 years until i was in my 50s, do as i say not as i do] and just walk into places and demand they give you a job" etc etc

anyway, happy halloween everybody!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Don't worry, this is the AI chat thread. It's a good place to vent. Most people here have done it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Enourmo posted:

sorry for making GBS threads up the chat thread everybody i have nowhere else to vent

It's what it's for. Hopefully you just find something you enjoy one day and end up dropping into a job related.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

Still have the car and finished first in the historic class in a TSD Rally a few weeks ago. All baby steps man.

Please post more about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i'm kind of jelly of my wife because as a Labour and Delivery nurse in hospital full time is 3 twelve hour shifts per week

like god drat i would kill to have 4 days a week to do whatever the gently caress i want

• Locked thread