Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Somebody here described him as looking like a young pharaoh, and one of my mates described as looking like the son of a sleazy nightclub owner and I cannot pick which describes him more accurately.

He actually is a nightclub owner. It's where he picks up women for his uncle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

Atom lives in San Diego

That would explain a lot.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

david carmichael posted:

iirc every single fight on the robbie/rory card was better than dc/gus

Yeah

http://gfycat.com/MassiveAbleBassethound

http://i.imgur.com/bZL7KPl.webm

http://gfycat.com/BlackFirmAldabratortoise

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

http://i.imgur.com/xqa6qX8.gif

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ditch posted:

Is Tyron a small 170? Because he looks smaller here...

Northcutt is tall, the perspective makes Woodley look smaller and Woodley's legs are huge and covered up by his jeans.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

The Sphinxster posted:

Bader isn't that fun to watch under the best of circumstances.

ahem

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Was that the Trujillo fight?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It was cool to see RDA thoroughly outgrappled. Then when he did his typical 3rd round gas out Khabib really started beating the poo poo out of him on the ground.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He lost his previous fight, against Manuwa, as well. He is being ranked for beating Ilir Latifi and losing two in a row.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I appreciate a fighter who throws body shots after wobbling his opponent. That poo poo is the best.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 11, 2015

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
She's like a tennis parent but with armbars.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Jake Ellenberger and Travis Browne off the top of my head. I didn't think either of them looked any worse than usual though.

Edit: Probably Manny too but, again, he doesn't look any worse than he always has.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 15, 2015

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JuanGoat posted:

I'm not super knowledgeable about fight technique, so you could be right in that Ellenberger might look worse now, but if you're going by fight record, that's a terrible metric to quantify the level of coaching Ellenberger's getting. He's 1-3 in his last 4, but he was 2-2 in his last 4 before that. He's also just been fighting more top shelf opponents. I don't think he's gotten significantly worse, I think the division's just passed him by.

He's basically been the same fighter as when he first got into the UFC. He never developed past being a gassy, big puncher with good wrestling.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bean Fried posted:

He's also worked with the 4 Horsewomen, who have professionally gone 1-7 since he started that.

Baszler went from a top 10 fighter (still probably would have been top 15 even after TUF 18 concluded) to a washed up has-been and cut from the UFC very, very quickly.

Duke went from a pretty decent prospect with strong muay thai striking to a three-fight losing streak, losing to the softest softball Sean Shelby could give her in her last fight.

Shafir went from an undefeated amateur with an elite judo background to 1-2 as a pro, losing to a fighter who was making her pro debut in her last fight.

They are all bad and would have been bad under any other coach.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He's got quite the custom title. Those posts were hilarious, thanks digging them up.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Compared to the rest of the division Holly Holm isn't bad. She may be timid and boring to watch but she isn't bad. Bethe is pretty poo poo though.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

it's admirable how utterly worthless the reebok deal has been for almost all parties involved

It is the least surprising outcome.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

DJ actually does have a visible flaw which is that he doesn't move his head off-line at all as he comes in on people; it tends to be straight in the air and on the centerline without much tucking of the chin. That's what got him in trouble against Dodson in their first match.

He's so fast that people aren't able to take advantage of it much, but it is an actual flaw, which is notable because as you say he has so few of them.

He usually tries covers this weakness with footwork and unpredictability. Dodson caught him switching stances with his head up and he hardly did it in the second fight. He just came in behind the straight over and over.

I'd also like to point out that Horiguchi is like 25 or something so has a lot of room to grow. DJ couldn't take down Bagautinov at all. Also, while he took down Joe B he could never hold Benavidez down or land any ground and pound. There are fighters who are as good or better than him at certain aspects but none of them have the cardio or all around game to beat DJ

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
We already saw that fight and absolutely nothing would be different.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Northjayhawk posted:

New Jersey is going to experiment with a new judging protocol for a local MMA promotion this weekend.

Here is a post with a link

fatherdog posted:

http://cagepages.com/2015/10/19/njsacb-analzye-judging-experiment-cffc-52-halloween

In November of 2014 NJSACB utilized instant replay at CFFC 43. The main event that night was ruled a no contest because Lyman Good inadvertently poked Jonavin Webb’s eye causing the referee to stop the fight. Just a few moments later, the fight was ruled a no contest following the review of the instant replay.

This Halloween, at CFFC 52, NJSAB is conducting an experiment with a new judging procedure. The judging procedures come up often among fans and media members. It seems as though you can’t get through an event with out that kind of conversation.

Counsel Nick Lembo and Commissioner Larry Hazzard made their own personal observations and they also listened to feedback from licensed judges, comments from the media serving as shadow judges at events, and had conversations with executives in the industry.

This progressive move to attempt to improve the judging process has nothing to do with any current licensed judges under the NJSACB.

“This agency has been pleased with both the quality of judging and our judging roster in this State, but we recently have wondered about the effects of blocked views, limited angles, sight distance and to a small degree, crowd noise,” Lembo and Hazzard stated.

[...]

“I’ve often wondered if the hometown crowd and the limited viewing angles in which a judge sees the fight swayed the decision process,” stated CFFC CEO Robert Haydak Jr.

“This experiment, obviously in its first step of actual implementation, will provide data gathering by allowing the review and comparison of three experienced NJSACB judges’ cage side scores, which will still be the official scores, with the scores of three experienced NJSACB judges in sound proof isolated rooms who will be viewing and scoring the fight on a large television monitor showing the actual broadcast without audio commentary,” continued in the statement released from the NJSACB exclusively to CFFC.

“We’re fortunate in New Jersey to have such a proactive commission,” stated Haydak. “Nick and Larry have embraced this idea from the very beginning and are now spearheading the efforts to see it to fruition.”

I doubt this is going to get any kind of widespread uptake but it's cool to see an AC actually experimenting.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He gasses like that in all of his fights that I've seen.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

skip to minute number 4 of all of his fights and realise this is a stupid thing to say. also if you want to check the gdt's i don't believe me, or anyone else said anything like 'paddy looks done' at the end of the very first round.

He slows down considerably in all of them. Smolka made him work harder than Josh Sampo so, yeah, he looked worse in this fight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Hill does a cool dance getting choked unconscious.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

[url=https://twitter.com/SteveOGrossi/status/659532025406226432]

That.... doesn't seem like a good idea

It's a terrible fight for Rashad but I would enjoy watching him get destroyed.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

Anyone got a gif of Romero sparking him out?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gjbq5_1zK...2BUFC%2B178.gif

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Trast posted:

I know gun laws vary everywhere but isn't a giant drum magazine like that illegal to have?

Not in Texas.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

-Atom- posted:

When you have certain classifications you're afforded the right to larger magazines and the like that isn't available to the general public

But really it could just be Texas gonna Texas kind of thing, but that's how it operates in California

California also has a bunch of retarded/restrictive gun laws and shouldn't be used as a basis for comparison.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

-Atom- posted:

not having a lawyer is probably the smartest thing you can do when it comes to dealing with the NSAC

Except for that whole Nick Diaz thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

tesilential posted:

Diaz's lawyer embarrassing the NSAC is literally why they threw the book at him (and then some).

Which will be promptly overturned because he had proper representation.

• Locked thread