Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Is that RDA pic from the Pettis fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It looks like Terry Etim.

I think you're right. And I should remember, that armbar he eventually got him with was ridiculous. It just didn't look like Etim's weird gangly body. Must be from that period when he started to eat things.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

tesilential posted:

Anthony wouldn't be caught dead with leg hair.

Somebody here described him as looking like a young pharaoh, and one of my mates described as looking like the son of a sleazy nightclub owner and I cannot pick which describes him more accurately.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He actually is a nightclub owner. It's where he picks up women for his uncle.

He had that goatee and the universe conspired to make sure he was a nightclub owner. Pogononative determinism.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

I trust BJ Penn's completely upright stance will truly be able to overcome a man who is a 145 pound Jon Fitch.

I remember Evan Dunham tricking him into having a good fight and Mendes almost dying of the cold in the middle of beating him unimpressively. I have no other memories of Nik Lentz.

Northjayhawk posted:

Uriah Hall is replacing Bisping at UFC 193

Yessssss

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kensei posted:

Women's MMA is truly catching up to Men's MMA

https://instagram.com/p/8R8PekA00r/

It's just cool how Rawlings keeps doing exactly what someone with an overactive class prejudice would expect her to.

gently caress off, Paige.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

origami posted:

Excerpt from Mark Hunt's book:

It had been an old-guard final, but there were two new fighters on the scene, who were knocked out in the early rounds, who would represent what K-1 would soon become. Those men were Bob Sapp – a 180-kilogram former NFL player who looks like a huge condom crammed full of walnuts

I didn't realize that was an actual phrase.

The way you've quoted it makes it sound like Hunt regards Sapp as two men. Which is fair.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Tyrone Woodley's one punch is faster than Hendricks' many punches, but Hendricks has many of them.

That concludes my analysis of that fight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

Pretty much. That's why he's 19-4, with losses to Jones, Glover, Machida and *sigh* Tito. And wins against Magalhes, Little Nog, Jardine, Davis, Rampage, The Janitor, OSP...yea, he's a total can.

The number of wins he has is really more an indictment of the division.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

freud mayweather posted:

A feat only two people have ever accomplished before.

Yeah, but the others who didn't were...like...Phil Davis, Sean Salmon, the shambling corpse of Chuck Liddell and the tattered ruins of Rampage's ego.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

yeah what I think people should take away from Cormier vs Gus is that Gus vs Jones definitely was not a fluke, Gus is a tough loving guy who is still dangerous even after the Rumble loss. I do think Cormier vs Jones 2 has a chance to be closer than the first match but Cormier's 5th round still doesn't look nearly as freaky as Jones' 5th round. So I would prefer to see Gus fight Jones again before Cormier does but eh them's the breaks.

It sucks that Gustafsson has losses to the top 3 guys in the division, but the good news is he has a lot of ranked guys left he hasn't fought yet. Gus could definitely beat Shad who is coming off of a loss and then fight the winner of Glover/Cummins or some poo poo and be right back in there for a rematch against Jones late next year.

Really Gus just needs to avoid Rumble cause that will probably be his worst matchup in the division.

There is no shortage of drastically flawed fighters for him to beat up, and it will be rad watching him do so. He's so strange to watch, how he looks all gangly and uncoordinated, then changes direction on a dime and punches their head off.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Bader's like Thiago Tavares. You never see him in title shots, and every time he pops up, you go "He's still here?"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

attackmole posted:

the glieson tibau of LHW, if you will.

Hey, Tibau at least had that...umm...where he...gently caress. How can someone have 25 fights and produce so little of note?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

People like to draw parallels, and the Fedor comparison is closer than Royce. Both dominated their respective organizations at the time, but Fedor did it against much more well rounded competition (and yes, against some cans, too). Sure, there are plenty of differences though, and any comparison is bound to be flawed.

Ronda is obviously leaps and bounds ahead of any of her contenders, in ways we haven't seen in recent times. I'd like to see Holm at least make the fight competitive, maybe use her footwork and TDD to at least force Ronda into, I don't know, breaking a sweat? It's hard to see a way through it for her though, and hard not to see Ronda bullying her way in, throwing her to the ground and submitting her in the first round. Maybe she'll try to prove something though and decide to stand and trade.

In the sense that most of Fedor's opponents were very round, yes. Because they were fat.

But no, they weren't well rounded. He was pretty much the only well rounded heavyweight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JuanGoat posted:

The best part of this is how literally no one remembers Miocic.

Well, he shouldn't have gotten comprehensively outboxed by Stefan loving Struve, then.

The coolest thing about heavyweight is that everyone has kind of a crap resume. Even the top 5 or 6 guys thus far, the most impressive wins on their resumes are primarily each other.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

getting stuck on the end of a 7ft tall man's reach the one time he remembers to use his length is way more excusable than being comprehensively annihilated by chael sonnen for 23 minutes or getting out kick-boxed by jake shields or indeed most low-points of most great fighter's careers

Not really. Also, it wasn't much to do with Struve's reach. He got out-boxed on the inside. Even if it hadn't been, it's a hard loss to overlook. Struve has a lot of wins, but they're mostly over people who's best win is Phillip DeFries or something. Miocic is a real outlier in that fight record. It's Struve's best win by a huge margin.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

anderson was juiced out of his mind and looked like dog poo poo against nick diaz and was probably just as juiced as sonnen during that fight

i haven't watched the fight since it happened by i remember miocic winning until a 280lb giant hit him clean in the face at the full length of his reach a few times in a row and has backed that performance up with some absolutely staggering efforts against jds and hunto that bringing that particular fight up as if it in any way defines his career is stupid

It was a 250 pound tall guy and it was a bunch of uppercuts and hooks. Nobody who actually takes the sport seriously would say it defines his career. It's an outlier for both fighters, it's also a terrific fight and so it's easy to see why it would pop up in someone's memory quicker than the time he decisioned Roy Nelson or Gonzaga, or the 35 second knockout of Maldonado.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

so your saying your comment that i originally responded to was stupid? i agree.

The Hunt one was a perfect example of how people's memories can be weird. I missed that fight, but all I remember people talking about, even here, was how Hunt looked terrible and the ref screwed up. The narrative was never "Miocic looked good" it was "Hunt looked terrible." The narrative of the JDS fight was "man, JDS sure has lost a step" not "man, Miocic made JDS look like he'd lost a step." We're discussing why he doesn't pop up in people's heads when they talk about the current crop of Heavyweights, not a breakdown of his skillset (which is formidable)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

We already got to see exactly what it would look like. Chael doubled him in the gym and had full control over him even if that dada gently caress was smacking him in the back of the head the whole time.

Had to go watch it again. Here's a link I found.

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhSV0M5Mhx13In6q7l

I still can't work out what's more incredible: How much goodwill Wanderlei burned through or how fast he burned through it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Just get Leslie Smith on a win streak, however brief. She's likable and durable.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

1st AD posted:

I don't think there's anything scummy about TJ leaving? He got a massive financial incentive to train with another team that happens to be close to his cosh and mentor. Maybe it will turn out poorly, maybe he'll do fine, only time will tell.

It's also a tough match for KK, in case I didn't make that clear. Imagine Jedrzejczyk vs Esparza, except both fighters are not as skilled and you have this fight.

Is Randa supposed to be Esparza in that analogy?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

1st AD posted:

Yes, but KK is not as good as Joanna and Randa is not as good as Esparza. So I think Randa will get takedowns and maintain top position for a bit, and I think Karolina will light her up a bunch and defend a few takedowns. I don't think either will finish the other, but I think Karolina wins it despite looking vulnerable in spots.

I don't see the similarity. Esparza is a midget with a bad double and no plan B. Randa has a solid ground game and some weird submissions. She also seems to know what a punch is.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

1st AD posted:

Esparza has a better double than Randa. Carla's top game is about as good as Randa's from what I can, but they don't have a ton of common opponents for me to say for sure. I could be full of poo poo here.

Also Randa's punching is just as bad as Carla's. Defense is equally as bad.

Honestly, they've got different enough games that I thought it was really strange to directly compare them. Carla's more like pre-knockout Chad Mendes without the athleticism or sultry sex appeal. She has a double and absolutely nothing else.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's been a while since we had a reminder, but Robbie Lawler is the UFC Welterweight champion.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 9, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Take two steps away from Browne and he'll just backflip out the window into a wood chipper while trying to throw a jab.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

This was my take away from it too. The guys who first trained Jon Jones can't take credit for making him whole, he just is. The same goes for Ronda and the evidence excluding Ronda is he sucks.

I'd love to see Matt Hume train Ronda.

Because if there's one thing we need to see, it's a more dominant Ronda.

But yeah, it's like how everyone at Roufousports who isn't Anthony Pettis is a walking concussion.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

I know of a kid from roufussport who'd love to be a walking concussion

Now you've made me sad.

Lid posted:

Rufus has some talent shown, even though he's 1-3 in his last 4 Erik Koch has shown he is a consistent top ten+ for example. Also he has Funky.

Ronda's camp is a WMMA Deathclutch.

Koch is okay, but Pettis gives a wildly disproportionate idea of how good the camp is.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Aurain posted:

how do you feel about matt serra + pizza?

I'm for it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brain Curry posted:

UFC Orlando tix go on sale tomorrow. I'll be buying ours right away. Really psyched for that card.

gently caress yes! Nate Marquardt is back, so I can experience the disappointment as people around me realise that Marquardt's excellent highlight reel does not correspond to his abilities as a fighter.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Jake Ellenberger and Travis Browne off the top of my head. I didn't think either of them looked any worse than usual though.

Edit: Probably Manny too but, again, he doesn't look any worse than he always has.

What the gently caress happened to Ellenberger? I remember there seemed a time when him, McDonald and Condit were all really good Welterweight prospects. McDonald and Condit are still cool and handsome, but Ellenberger is just falling apart. Is it just him not developing as a fighter?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

david carmichael posted:

that bad article about the bad judge who talks about jeso a lot made me think: remember when nate quarry couldn't cut off the cage against a broken footed kalib starnes who had completely quit, and he landed like 0 strikes and no takedowns in the third and he got like a 10-6 round or whatever

Kalib Starnes is a weird one. He had that rad brawl with Chris Leben, which won fight of the night, then two fights later he's responsible for one of the most infamous non-fights in the sport's history. And yes, Nate Quarry's utter lack of footwork was a factor.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I cannot wait to find out what really dorky hobby Joanna Champion has. I hope she's a keen Warhammer player or something.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

That and the gay marriage stuff is cool, and Conor does seem like an actual decent person

But I still want Aldo to pulp him

It's his fans. The hardcore, idiot ones. It's BJ Penn/Fedor/Shogun/Gegard Mousassi all over again. A cool fighter and seemingly a pretty cool dude, but with a fanbase primarily composed of loud cunts.

henkman posted:

My friend Lord Waffle Beard is right
It was entirely down to Big John and some official who didn't know what towels were for. Other than that, checks out.

Oh, and Kennedy cheating immediately before that.

Oh, and a massive 75 seconds passing between the end of one round and the beginning of the next.

Oh, and gently caress Tim Kennedy forever.

canoshiz posted:

Apparently the UFC is in the middle of cutting a shitload of fighters. Current victims include Marcus Brimage and Eddie Gordon.
Poor Marcus Brimage. He seemed a cool dude.

Eddie Gordon's a cheap piece of poo poo with a semi-random hitbox, so I won't be sad to see him go.

Marching Powder posted:

i just rewatched condit / hendricks and absolutely everyone should because it's a sick oval office fight of the highest caliber but also because i remembered hendricks clearly taking the first two rounds and condit getting the third. on rewatch i saw 3 razor thin rounds. hendricks took condit down about 14 times and i'm not kidding you he kept him there in any sort of 'dominant' position on about 4 of those occasions and on 2 of those 4 occasions condit was such a loving menace from the bottom johny just straight up stood up out of full guard. insanely good fighting.
This is so loving true. Also, take a shot every time Condit goes for an ill advised flying knee and immediately gets taken down.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 17, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

dang when Romero loses badly he's gonna come in here and own everyone. Everyone here is really invested in Yoel Romero's success

Yoel Romero is hella cool, made Tim Kennedy cry and gives the best victory speeches in the sport.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Whenever I see Sage Northcutt, I imagine his mum standing beside me going "Isn't he handsome?" When I don't answer, she becomes more insistent "Isn't he HANDSOME?" When I still don't answer, she grabs my face, screaming "ISN'T HE HANDSOME?". Sage just stands there, being handsome in exactly the way mums describe their sons as being handsome before they go to prom. His mum retains hold of my face.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 19, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

And then you realize his mother is actually GSP

EEEESUNT 'EE 'ANSUUM!

It is no longer a question. It is all there is, now.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

fatherdog posted:

He's not "late career resurgent", he's a guy who's gotten steadily better over the course of his career and is only 30.

It is really cool to watch his fights in order and see a massive improvement over the years. It's spaced out, but from looking nervous and terrified to engage against Tyson Griffin, to slamming that left straight into Anthony Pettis' smug face, it's pretty loving dramatic.

Shogun didn't just have knee injuries, though. He almost completely fell apart before he turned 30. It's weird to watch Shogun/Henderson 1 and realise only one of those men is actually old.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I do not get this.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He seemed like a cool guy. Sorry to see him go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Except his ability to cut weight. It produced that great interview where his trainer got asked how he did it. The trainer just shrugged

• Locked thread