Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
^^^Dammit!

Snowman_McK posted:

Somebody here described him as looking like a young pharaoh, and one of my mates described as looking like the son of a sleazy nightclub owner and I cannot pick which describes him more accurately.

He is a sleazy night club owner. But he is from the very ghetto part of milwaukee. His parents for sure didn't own anything he didn't buy post-UFC payday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bubba Smith posted:

Well it says right there in the quote he hasn't switched camps per se, not like how TJ just left TAM. Pettis is just doing a specific training camp with Duke Roufous and handpicked coaches/sparring partners near Roufusport. That ain't the same when most fighters "switch camps," i.e. they blame all their losses on the coaching and burn every bridge and move to Florida.

Anthony's being cagey, but talking to some of the guys I used to train with there, it sounds like Anthony asked for changes from Duke and he's being obstinate, and they are in the process of fully transitioning to their own gym. The holdup is that he hasn't nailed down full-time ongoing coaches for his own camp and he's being political to avoid burning bridges in the meantime.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MA-Horus posted:

You know UFC wasn't all that great when the divisions first started.

Remember Tim Sylvia? His greatest skill was "Being Fat." He was champion for a long time.

Give the Women's divisions some time to flesh out, and I think we'll see some damned good fights, and their popularity will only grow.

FFS We have a card headlined by TWO Women's championships and it's gonna be amazing.

I feel like I say this every couple of months, but everyone needs to slow down and enjoy where women's MMA is at. Early MMA was not an upper echelon athletic contest, but it was (almost) always funny or crazy. Once the days of TKO to ballpunches or Royce pulling out Kimo's topknot to get a choke or Saku defeating Royce in the 2 hour TEST OF STRENGTH, they were never coming back at that level of exposure again. Women's MMA is giving us an opportunity to relive the time when Ken Shamrock was the most dangerous man alive and Mark Coleman was one of the best through largeness and wrestling. A time when Bas Rutten took the title from Kevin Randleman through the advanced technique of bitch slapping while being humped. Savor these times. When the women's game attains advancement, you will never see dumb freakshow fights like this again. Unless science advances to the point where we can create new genders to brutalize one another in solo combat for our amusement.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MycroftXXX posted:

Unless TJ left out a bunch of details (which he may have done), this isn't really like Team Takedown. IIRC Team Takedown paid guys to train, but when they fought a large part of their purse goes back to the team and when one guy took off the team would be solvent. It seems like Ludwig is outright paying Dillashaw to train there and Dillashaw gets to keep his entire purse when he fights. I think Ludwig is banking on the fact that people will flock to his gym to train with a champion and he will make money by charging them to train/selling them peanut butter. I don't have an MBA or nothin' fancy like that, but paying your biggest client to take your services doesn't seem like sound business.

Isn't this literally how sponsorships work everywhere else? You give free poo poo to big name people so everyone else wants to buy your poo poo. It's the same principle that results in celebrities having closets full of designer clothes they got for free, basketball players getting free shoes, etc.

It probably wouldn't be sustainable for them to pay every UFC guy on their roster to train there, but paying one or two of the biggest names a reasonable fee to be the face of your gym doesn't seem completely crazy to me.

shaky math trigger warning:
Let's assume they're paying him something fairly reasonable, like 50k a year.
Now, just using the gym fees from the places I've trained as a reference, you're typically looking at around $200/mo for a guy off the street to join your gym. That adds up to $2400 a year.
So, to pay for his sponsorship, that means you need ~21 new members to join off the publicity of being the home of the UFC champ. I don't think that's actually an unreasonable number of new signups to expect from that level of hype.

This math doesn't account for any extra maintenance costs that might come from these new members, but it also doesn't include all the inevitable gear and 1-on-1s they're gonna be selling them. Dudes who just walk in off the street to train have a habit of just buying their gi, gloves shinguards, etc from the gym, and some gyms (don't know how Elevation does it) won't let you compete for them unless you've had a few 1-on-1s for the coaches to assess you.

Now, why would TJ Dillashaw switch gyms for 50k a year? Well, that basically covers your house payment, your car payment, your food, your gas, etc, and means all his fight winnings can be invested/socked away/spent on hookers. And it's not like he's downgrading gyms.

If they're paying him a million dollars or something then all of this is just stupid though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fatherdog posted:

Elevation Fight Team is a private, fighters only gym. They don't have regular members.

I had no idea! Huh. Most places I've trained made their real money off of amatures and basically used their pros as promotion. I wonder what their gym fees are like to support a pros only business.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MycroftXXX posted:

"Now let's be clear... The Nevada State Athletic Commission is, uhh, selling folks wolf tickets. [Pause while the press corps snaps photos] And you all are eating them up."

Charles Gnarwin posted:

This is going to be awkward because the main job of the White House press corps is spinning poo poo.

:cawg:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm sure the president will want to help one of his old choom gang buddies any way he can.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ironic Twist posted:

Hopefully Jason Guida

bazinga

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CommonShore posted:

Connor survived like two rounds on his back having just trained for a striker

If they rematched Chad would lose bad

you're crazy if you don't think conor was training grappling for aldo. aldo is a black belt in bjj and his camp started life primarily as a grappling school. the fact that he proved to be a top-knotch striker on top of everything is what put him at the top, but you'd be a moron to take his grappling for granted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CommonShore posted:

Yeah? Well Mendes's camp started primarily as a shirtless summer camp. The fact that he proved to be a top-notch fighter on top of everything is what put him on top, but you'd be a moron to take his shirtlessness for granted.

actually, i think it's a shirtless-mandatory neighborhood, rather than merely a camp. like a nudist colony, but for nubile, shirtless men under 5'6".

• Locked thread