Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

A Bag of Milk posted:

Great OP as always. To start off the new month, Alabama is closing 31 driver's licence offices throughout the state leaving 29 counties without one.

8 of the top 10 counties polling for Obama in 2008 have an office closing. All of the top five counties polling for Obama in 2008 have an office closing. 11 out of the 17 counties with more than 24% of individuals living in poverty have an office closing (65%). All six counties with the highest % of black residents have an office closing. 59% of the 17 counties with the highest % of black residents have an office closing. Alabama of course has strict voter ID laws. My preferred drink is shots of Everclear. Doesn't waste my time.

You missed nothing, trust me. The last couple dozen pages were... bad.

VVV Rand Paul. Other guy is Jeb Bush.

You are underselling this: 8 out of 10 of the counties with the highest minority voter registration percentage are not just losing a driver's license office, they will have NO drivers license office. Those six counties you mention with highest black percentage, NO OFFICE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

In fastest time to 1 million donors, not total money. Hillary is smoking him in total money. And guess what matters more, number of donors or number of dollar bills.

Her campaign is also much more expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if Sanders actually had more cash on hand at the moment. Clinton spend a lot of time at lavish fundraisers, any event she goes to with a large expensive entourage, just the nature of old school retail politics, while Sanders is flying commercial with minimal staff, not doing expensive events, etc.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

That's it out of date. Sanders has announced its current cash on hand is 25 million, the Clinton campaign hasn't disclosed that at the moment.

The real money is all in the super PACs of course so Clinton in reality has much more than that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wish the media would leave Biden in peace. It's obvious he wants to run but knows he would just get his heart broken and is going to stay out of it. The media keeps goading him with false hope.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Should we just have assigned dormitories for Congress people to avoid shady real estate favors and make being wealthy not a prerequisite?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jastiger posted:

So why is Alabama allowed to be a state again? Literally rolled back the VRA and immediately start disenfranchising blacks. Wtf? Dissolve the state and give the proceeds to the disenfranchised.

Jokes on you we are in debt and have no value, dissolve us and we'll actually make money on the deal

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We were arguing over whether Bernie might be closer to Hillary's cash on hand a few pages back, turns out yes, very close. She had close to a 90% burn rate over the summer and has $32 million on hand, Bernie has $26.5 million on hand.

So actually a very small money advantage.

Of course that doesn't include super PACs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Gee, but are super PACs important?

Honestly I have no idea. You'd think so but there was a huge superpac advantage in 12 for Republicans which didn't seem to do anything and every liberal superpac I've seen has been pretty embarrassingly ineffectual.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Yeah I don't either tbh but I feel like they have to.

Me too. I mean if superpacs didn't work people wouldn't donate millions of dollars to them right? OK that sounds sarcastic but I don't mean it that way.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What if all guns came with a holder where you could clip your magazine to the gun when you want to read something while shooting. Then everyone with a gun would be confused and end up writing new yorker cartoon captions.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jackson Taus posted:

This seems like a shockingly high burn rate for this far out from the campaign, no?

She has a fuckton of field offices and paid staff.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am saying a 15-day waiting period is excessive.

That seems like a relatively short amount of time, what's excessive about it? Two weeks used to be standard shipping.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Vox has a map up of all the school shootings since Sandy Hook. Once again, Wyoming proves itself as the best state.

Wyoming has only one school and it's attended by a dachshund named Colin.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

His Purple Majesty posted:

Riddle me this D&D, why is it that when we had looser restrictions on gun ownership and a functioning mental health system we had fewer mass shooters?

Corn! And who tells corny jokes? The Joker! Not only that, Corn starts with AC. C! For Catwoman! And who lives near the sea? Penguin! Robin, I believe we have unraveled a most nefarious scheme.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Grundulum posted:

Please please tell me this actually happened in one of the issues. I've had enough poo poo today in my Facebook feed that I could use some cheering up.

Is not an exact quote but pretty closely paraphrased from the Adam West movie.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So was this shooter actually targeting Christians or will this be like Columbine where the dad basically made that part up?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

His Purple Majesty posted:

I'll repeat this question since you nanny state authortorians glossed over it,
Can no one answer this simple question?

We've never had looser gun restrictions and we've never had a functioning mental health care system.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wish I were the Flash. I'd just steal all the guns. Then I'd go disable factories.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Thump! posted:

Lol, they report on individual shootings in Australia? Let me know when they get a 5+ kill going.

There was a really high profile story about a shooting in South Africa a while back but it didn't have any legs

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

born on a buy you posted:

if we banned white males from 18-34 from owning guns mass shootings would drop to close to 0.

Not really that only covers like 70% of mass shootings.

We can narrow your ban even further though to skinny white males 18-34 with bowl cuts and still cover about 65% though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

hhhat posted:

Whatever we didn't do in reconstruction we're paying for it in spades.

I'm thinking constitutional convention, reduce every former confederate state to one senator and remove all congressional districts so the people get to vote for proportional representation

And then burn all the plantations again

gently caress the south

We plant seeds in the south. We create, you just wanna move our money around

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Videotaping a gun sale seems completely reasonable and not difficult considering the vast number of retail stores that already use CCTV see the register. If customers are running away from stores because of it that says more about them than the regulation.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Can't people just call their congress people and ask them if they are voting for Obamas Trans Pacific Partnership Pact? Problem solved. I'm pretty sure the TPP stands for Trans-planned parenthood and they give abortions to transwomen.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Trump saves the day again

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
12 countries' representatives enter with ideas that are mutually opposed, foes.

They leave having reached a compromise and opening doors that were previously closed, bros.

A new Pacific trading pact that gives American corporations unprecedented power and the ability to do what they want,

The rest of Asia gets more competitive with China, but listen, here's the piece de resistance.

No one else was in the room where it happened, the room where it happened, the room where it happened. No one really knows how the game is played, the art of the trade how the sausage gets made.

We just assume that it happened. But no one else was in the room where it happened.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's probably already in deep debt and will never pay it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
OH!

Kevin McCarthy isn't someone we truuuuuuuuust!

OH!

These liberals keeping us all on our tooooooeeeees!

OH!

Let's show all these moderates just what they're up against!

OH!

Southern MOTHERFUCKING Tortilla Coast Republicans!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They should just draft Paul Ryan. You can vote for whoever the gently caress you want you don't need their permission. He wants to spend time with his family? Boohoo so do millions of people working the minimum wage. You take this lovely job Paul Ryan.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Putin isn't very forthcoming on his military's dances. Ask him a question it bounces off, he obviates, it glances.

When We bomb the Syria at least they know we know where Iran is.

See that's the problem sir they see Putin as a more extreme you, a key endorsement due to a bombing mistake just might redeem you.

Who did you have in mind?

Don't laugh.

Who do you mean?

You just had him sign a nuclear development pact.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

It might be nice, it might be nice, to have Rouhani on our side.

It might be nice, it might be nice, to have Rouhani on our side.

Talk less!

PUTIN

Bomb more!

PUTIN

Don't let the NATO know when troops are on their door!

PUTIN

Imprison him.

PUTIN

Help Assad, sho. It's 2015 tell your people ally with Russia!

Don't like the EU their coin's going down I'm so embarrassed.

As for America they always threaten, so barbaric.

I like that Putin guy his interests seem just more Arabic. He's really muscular, like he could lift an ox and bear it?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

30.5 Days posted:

No, states can choose whatever crazy redistricting schemes they want. The only exception are violations of the constitution (so if a districting scheme violates peoples' civil rights, the federal government can intervene).

Texas discovered one weird trick. If they make you redistrict you've already had the vote, that election still counts! Draw up racist lines and they make you redistrict. If you do this every single year, guess what? You get to gerrymander every year instead of every ten years!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh man proportional representation would be so good.

Individual members not being so personally accountable and free to not fear being primaried for being a decent human being, and the parties themselves being held much more accountable for the actions of their caucus.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

Should probably also increase the number of representatives too though.

While we're at it allow them to just telephone in their votes and handle committee by telecom and just stay in their office in their district so they don't live a block away from every lobbyist in the world.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If Nancy Pelosi can get discharge petitions through she's basically made herself host majority leader.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

evilweasel posted:

His seat isn't seriously threatened but the focus is the threat of a Democrat. The worry is that if he keeps blowing off the state, a Democrat could threaten the seat and, even if they don't win, divert money from other states the Republicans need to defend to a state that should be safe.

Its the risk he'd blunder into making it competitive, not that he's actually close to blowing the seat itself.

It's Tennessee they don't have to worry. It won't be a contest.

The democrats won't get a competent candidate and even if they did DWS wouldn't give them any money.

greatn fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 9, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

evilweasel posted:

It's Kentucky, and Republicans have blown deeper red states. They can't take it for granted if he runs a bad local campaign.

You are correct. But they can take it for granted that DWS won't fund a candidate. Maybe if Steve Beshear ran and have up the governorship.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We elected a leader whose head is now in a basket. Would you like to take it out and ask it "Who should be the next speaker, John Boehner's head?" "Uh, do whatever you want, I'm super dead!"

The right wing is leading!

The right wing is rioting! Frankly, I find it a little disquieting that would let you ideology blind you to reality. Peter King!

Yes sir?

Draft a statement of brutality.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Tell me more about banning anime

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

It doesn't make it mandatory, it makes it so that they are registered by default, rather than opt-in. People can still opt out though.

When they sure to declare this unconstitutional, mandatory is going to be the word they use. My client doesn't want to be on a list of registered voters, it's a violation of his free speech to have mandatory registration, as his decision to not register is an act of protest.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Glumslinger posted:

Its not mandatory, its just switched from opt-in to opt-out

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm sure Republicans have lawyers working on a case to declare this law illegal. I don't think they'll succeed, but it will be a hostile transparent show off contempt for voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It seems like Hillary could be immensely more well liked by spending $40 a day on donuts and coffee for the press, so why the hell not?

• Locked thread