Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It's untenable because a history of bad faith bullshit.

For example, California law requires handguns sold in CA be certified by the state for safety. The result of this is the state of California demanding manufacturers submit dozens of samples at their own expense, simply refusing to certify things without reason, and requiring re-certification for cosmetic changes. It is simply a "gently caress you and gently caress your guns you fuckers" law under the guise of safety.

Why should gun owners agree to a registry when there is a very recent history of the federal government using a registry as a ban? It wasn't even a registry of things that ever get used in crime, and the feds still closed it because gently caress you that's why.

What's wrong with banning guns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I learned how to shoot a gun before I learned how to ride a bike. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't just completely stop the manufacture of all guns and all gun sales. Someone's inconvience doesn't have more weight than human life. If your dedicated to hunting and target shooting then you'll go out of your way to save or purchase a gun. Then you have to be registered, placed in a federal background check, have no history of mental illness, have no history of extremist views, have no history of domestic violence then you can buy your gun.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 3, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm still surprised we're going through this same old song and dance with the debt ceiling again. Won't not raising it cause a loving global economic meltdown on a scale far greater than the 2008 crash? How is this not a loving scandal of the highest order? This is economic terrorism. :psyduck:

Someone needs to explain to me how this could lead to a global financial meltdown.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Thanks for the information, yeah I never really understood the idea behind it but that Yahoo article makes sense.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So we'd basically be in a recession correct? Like everything would go down the tubes?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't think I would lose my job. I work in Property Taxes ,but maybe I would lose my job. Dunno. I'd definitely lose my health insurance. I don't think I would be homeless. My parents may become homeless. My sister and her family may not become homeless they have their home payed for. I don't think my sister would lose her job.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 5, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wouldn't economic collapse in Europe caused by the US Defaul impact Russia financially. Pretty sure Russia would turn full communism. They're main export is oil / natural gas correct? If the economy failed wouldn't that lead to either out of control oil prices or plummetting purchases of oil?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wouldn't it be weird if we did have a economic collapse and Bitcoin became alternative fictional currency. Like Bitcoins being seen as a legitimate currency because of economic collapse would be loving weird.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So again the only way to really get your student loans forgiven is death or total financial collapse. Tell me more about student loan debt in the world of the apocalypse? How would that work and why would it work?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm pretty sure most of the Republican Party actually believe Barack Obama was responsible for Katrina.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Why can't we just say "Redo" and then start again with all finances. I mean if everyone's hosed why not? Clear all debt off the books and start again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Has there been any new information on the Oregon shooter? I thought that one of the news stories claims he gave someone a flash drive and a "manifesto" but don't see any other follow up on the story.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Is there anyway that the Democrats can mess with the Republicans over the Speaker vote on the 29th. This is mainly a question for Joementum

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What's the word on the TPP and regulation of medications. I know this is something that the medical industry has tried to go after before which was medical tourism. Have they released anything of the sort? Basically a while back there was some talk of your price for treatment in certain countries may depend on your passport.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait so there may be a situation where no one get's elected speaker because of the Freedom Caucus or has the extreme right viewed this as their way to seize more power?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I thought Paul Ryan was spending his time in the desert until after the Clinton presidency ended.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What the gently caress is with the Republican party being the super emotional party? Like is crying a trick they have all learned to prove they are human or what?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What if this was Boehner's plan all along to show the Republicans that they couldn't get their poo poo together to actually elect a Speaker so they better be happy with the one they got and stop loving with him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

How does Paul Ryan figure into this is he another car?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Pretty sure he knew that he'd get run out on a rail for the Debt Ceiling raise that he has to do to prevent bad poo poo from happening and him announcing his retirement is his way of ensuring he leaves on his own terms.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Watch Texas try and secede.

Could we seriously see some major fall out in the Republican party over this or not?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Couldn't the House or is it the Senate redraw districts. i thought I had read somewhere that one of the powers of congress was to draw up districting maps.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

evilweasel posted:

These posts are sort of right but not really:

The relevant part of the Constitution is:
(Article I, Section 4)

Under this power Congress has mandated single-member districts. Congress could alter that. I'm sure it would provoke a legal challenge and wind up being decided by if there were still five Republicans on the Supreme Court, but there is very solid legal backing for Congress to step in and mandate changes to how districts are drawn - or if they exist at all. I believe Congress would be well within its rights to mandate specific methods for districting or simply require that representatives be elected on a statewide basis by proportional representation. I think it would need to be a law though - the House can't do it on its own, it's got to be passed by the House and the Senate and signed by the President.

Yeah i knew it was some weird trick that US State Legislatures don't want you to know

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

:3:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Yeah, uh, don't do this. Don't ever do this.

It's not that bad.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So if Ryan and McCarthy are out then that probably means someone like Webster in the role. I don't know much about that guy but it sounds like a bad idea to have an obstructionist in charge.

What kind of bad case scenario are we looking at if one of the Freedom whatever get's into the Speaker Role?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Would someone from the Freedom Caucus be obstructionist enough to cause a debt default?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If Paul Ryan has any national aspirations he shouldn't take the roll of Speaker of the House.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Honestly, the GOP has struck out twice now. Boehner leaving, McCarthy refusing, and now if Paul Ryan has any goddamn sense he'd flee back to his district or claim that he cannot do the job because of family obligations. The far right will destroy Ryan as soon as he says " Okay, maybe we shouldn't send the world economy into global depression" .

If Ryan compromises then he's out. Just like Eric Cantor. Going into the Speaker Job from what I understand Boehner was pretty well respected now most of the base now hates him because they are all loving crazy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The best scenario is The GOP cannibalizing any experienced politician. Then watching people like Dave Brat get into those coveted seats of long standing Republicans with actual experience and completely making GBS threads the bed.

https://twitter.com/RepDaveBrat?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Like seriously this is what these fuckers believe:

quote:

The next Speaker should make these 10 commitments before stepping into the position of trust.
http://1.usa.gov/1VD58UC
[/quote

1. Facilitate a budget that balances within 10 years and seek to enforce it through the authorizing and appropriations process.

2. Encourage committees to advance market-driven health care reforms to replace Obamacare.

3. Support policies that secure the border and enable interior enforcement while opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants.

4. Urge all committees to advance agendas based on limited government, economic opportunity, and fiscal responsibility.

5. Enforce the rule of law and separation of powers against executive (presidential) overreach.

Process

6. Seek reforms of the Republican Conference Rules so leadership committees better represent the American people.

7. Adhere to the majority-of-the-majority principle for bringing legislation to the floor.

8. Support changes to the budget process to promote fiscal responsibility, particularly regarding mandatory programs (70% of current spending).

9. Empower committee members to choose chairs and craft reform legislation without fear of retaliation.

10. Broaden opportunities to offer amendments and legislation on the House floor with full debate.
[/quote]

This is basically the future of the GOP.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 11, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They don't compromise because they are crazy people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Right but it was still a serious loss for the Republican party in terms of leadership just like it's a loss of leadership for Boehner to retire. It'll be a further loss if Ryan doesn't accept the job or the first time he pisses them off they have someone who's looney tunes run in his district.

Like the Republican party with Cantor really did shoot itself in it's foot. Brat literally believes in a Theocratic government.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Sure lots of people don't even know who they are.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's Sunday so I'll go ahead and call Paul Ryan accepting the Speaker job Wednesday. It's unfortunate because it's such a poo poo poison pill but he totallly deserves it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Isn't that what occurred with the Libertarian Goat Blood Drinker in Florida?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Steve Jobs may have survived had he listened to his doctors and not went after holistic cancer cures. Thanks Obama.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

1stGear posted:

All gun owners are in a perpetual state of being a good guy with a gun until they commit a crime at which point the waveform collapses and it turns out they were a bad guy with a gun all along.

This is the theory known as Schrodinger's Gun.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Paul Ryan really is a idiot and he's the choice for Speaker. He is their best choice. If that doesn't tell you anything about the Republican party I don't know what will. Paul "Rand makes the best case for the morality of democratic capitalism." Ryan or would it be Paul Don't give me Ayn Rand Ryan

Which will it be? Either one is pants on head retarded.

Paul Ryan's about as much a numbers guy as Ben Carson is a American Ninja Warrior who we should launch out of a ICBM whenever we have a gun shooting because he knows how to stop mass shooters.

Paul Ryan is a idiot.

So that's why he will take the Speaker job on Wednesday.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Paul Ryan. Speaker of the House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

In case you missed it because you were watching the Russian Grand Prix or sleeping, watching the tea partier and "moderate republican" fight each other on Meet The Press this morning was loving hilarious.

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/republican-congressman-we-have-get-our-act-together-n442466

Before I even clicked I knew that would be Dave Brat.

• Locked thread