Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Great OP as always. To start off the new month, Alabama is closing 31 driver's licence offices throughout the state leaving 29 counties without one.

8 of the top 10 counties polling for Obama in 2008 have an office closing. All of the top five counties polling for Obama in 2008 have an office closing. 11 out of the 17 counties with more than 24% of individuals living in poverty have an office closing (65%). All six counties with the highest % of black residents have an office closing. 59% of the 17 counties with the highest % of black residents have an office closing. Alabama of course has strict voter ID laws. My preferred drink is shots of Everclear. Doesn't waste my time.

JT Jag posted:

New thread, thank god. The last one started moving a little too fast and I lost track.

You missed nothing, trust me. The last couple dozen pages were... bad.

VVV Rand Paul. Other guy is Jeb Bush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

zoux posted:

Sad to say this but I guess this is going to be one of the "significant" ones.

Significant in what way?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Significant in making it impossible to talk about anything else in this thread for several days. No room here to talk about Trump declaring he'll kill off NAFTA for example.

Seems like a necessary component to his protectionism policy. He's only now coming out and saying it explicitly.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Seattle plans to push for comprehensive public financing of local elections.

Of course keeping private money out will be impossible thanks to Citizens United, but it could be interesting.

Pretty confident this will pass and excited to see the results. I hope we can inspire other cities to follow our lead. Can't do anything about Citizens United, but I'm bullish on it being overturned within the next decade too. One step at a time though.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

nessin posted:

I always wondered why the President didn't get up and talk about whatever issues he wanted the public to push for on a weekly basis. It always seemed like that would be huge and has made a big difference in the past (see Reagan or, to a lesser extent, Roosevelt). And relevant to current events it seems like that would be a great way to get national attention on a weekly basis to put up facts about Climate Change, Vaccinations, or even more publicly divided issues like Gun Control or Healthcare. Turns out, that has been a regular thing since Reagan (minus H.W. Bush) and is currently done by Obama. In case this is news to anyone else:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/weekly-address

Although I can find very very few references to it, and despite keeping up to date with political news fairly regularly over the past 15 years I can't remember ever seeing anyone (news, forums, other podcasts, whatever) link to a radio record, audio podcast, or video of one of these addresses. Is everyone like me and just had no clue this was going on (the average view numbers for the Youtube videos is pretty pathetic), have they just become so routine that everyone ignores them, or are they just filled with too much political bs? Am I overestimating the ability of a President to somehow get 20-30 minutes of time in front of a TV or even broadcast to many radio stations during rush hour to really get exposure to this in a way that would be meaningful?

It's basically every reason you've outlined. They're a bit dry and routine, and too wrapped up in the political side of politics for anyone to give a poo poo. For the most part it's opinions everyone already knows Obama has. There are no surprises and no story. They're also way too frequent for anyone to seriously follow them on a week to week basis. People barely care about the State of the Union, and that's once a year. Even outside this format, we saw Obama talk today about the shooting. Powerful stuff in the face of a national tragedy. Well written speech. Nobody will change their mind or do anything different. Could Obama change his approach, do more, and somehow sway the hearts and minds of the American people better than he has been doing? Hard to say. I don't have any particular ideas on that front.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

JehovahsWetness posted:

Jeb, the might have a bit more punch *if you hadn't signed a pool fence bill as gov* (sponsored by DWS!):

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2000-05-26/news/0005260161_1_pool-safety-new-pools-ibern

Wow.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

It's been forty pages. Can we please talk about anything else? Was the bombing of the MSF hospital not interesting enough to warrant more than three posts? Meanwhile, I'm sure gunchat is changing hearts and minds.

Here's an article about how US Special Forces operated in 133 different countries in 2014. I certainly had no idea of the extent of this.

quote:

A clandestine Special Ops training effort in Libya imploded when militia or “terrorist” forces twice raided its camp, guarded by the Libyan military, and looted large quantities of high-tech American equipment, hundreds of weapons—including Glock pistols and M4 rifles—as well as night vision devices and specialized lasers that can only be seen with such equipment. As a result, the mission was scuttled and the camp was abandoned. It was then reportedly taken over by a militia.

Oops! Good thing that's a pretty rare and isolated inci... gently caress. How's that for gun control?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Prosecution claims shooting of Tamir Rice was "tragic but reasonable"

For those who have trouble keeping all the names straight, this was the 12 year old boy who was playing with a toy gun in a park and swiftly executed by police arriving on the scene. The 911 caller claimed he believed the gun was fake, and police did not offer any aid as the boy lay dying (he died the next day). Video exists and is brutal.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Kalman posted:

Standing is infamously negotiable. Exactly what argument do you think they'd make that an opt-out voting approach is unconstitutional?

It is the fundamental right of every citizen to protest the political system through abstaining from voting. Any attempt to encourage citizens to vote violates their substantive due process rights and therefore violates the 14th amendment.

Dumb.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Larry Lessig wants you to know that he's decided to be a bit more realistic about his run for the presidency. He is no longer campaigning on resigning after passing his agenda.

I hate this guy a lot. Other Democratic nominees are talking about this exact issue and are also well rounded politicians instead of being lovely one trick ponies. This guy is just a megalomaniac with no understanding of the political process. His MayDay PAC was a terrible grifting operation. Please do not let this guy into any debates. 1% threshold there is an absolute joke too, should be at least 3%.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

They always get Orrin Hatch in for some lovely rear end quote.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

The US Government has canceled an upcoming sale of treasury bonds because of the debt ceiling standoff with Congress

Mr. Nice! posted:

I dug into this because I was curious. They canceled the auction today for two year notes, but not 5 or 7. They felt that this would disrupt the market less than canceling the auction outright even though they don't think they'll have the money to pay for them.

The government will have 30bn on hand november 3rd. It spends 60bn a day.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/10/22/treasury-postpones-bond-sale-debt-limit-nears/74380176/

From a few pages back, but I don't quite understand the rationale for this. Those notes won't mature for years, so they're really the least of our worries if we hit the debt ceiling. Isn't the real threat the bonds that were issued a long time ago and mature on Nov 3/4? Those are a done deal. This move will cost the country millions in lost revenue and market panic. Issuing these bonds doesn't cost money, so why cancel the sale? What am I missing here?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's not exactly how bonds work. They do have a face value that is redeemable after whatever period the bond is issued, but they also come with interest payments that get paid out periodically before the actual maturity date. When they speak of a default, it isn't that we won't be paying back the bonds when people are trying to redeem them. Its that we can't make the regular interest payments.

As it is right now, US T-bills are considered zero risk. Huge portions of the market rely on that. A single default changes things, risk is introduced, and it's will have ripple effects throughout the world.

The rational of suspending the two year notes at auction right now is suspending everything would have a major and immediate impact. The two year notes are the ones they're able to scuttle without dramatic market movement.

Thanks, this cleared it up for me.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

At this stage I assume the general unelectability and terribleness of each candidate feeds the others to be convinced they can just break through any moment now.

I mean, what in the world could be driving Jindal and Santorum? Even believing God wants them to be President God apparently doesn't take part in polls. They have to be convinced that any day now Trump's bubble will burst, Carson will follow, and then boom they're up 30 pts.

This actually happened to Santorum in 2012. He was polling 4% at the end of 2011 then caught fire and won Iowa. Every candidate thinks that they're the best and just have to wait for the crowd to thin out. It also helps that there are two unelectable goobers sitting at the top of the polls.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh, good, someone dug up a video of a (black) student throwing a teacher to the ground over their cell phone and Asking Questions with it since apparently one uppity black beating up a teacher vindicates all arrests of black students everywhere. :suicide:

Their race are no angels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

greatn posted:

Point is remove any one of those reasons and he wins. So it is completely fair to blame any of those.

It was a statistical tie. There were hundreds and hundreds of events, decisions, etc. that could have made the election go the other way. That's why blaming Nader alone is myopic and dishonest.

• Locked thread