Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That bill would not have destroyed federalism in NC. Municipalities are a creation of state law to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The nyt has like 3 reporters just covering HRC. They have to do something all day.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A terrorist assassinated a black politician in a church and nothing happened.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

13 guns confiscated by Obummer's secret gun police? God drat it.

Hahaha.

How would we even confiscate all the guns.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I read somewhere that there was a guy with a concealed weapon on-campus during the shooting; he told someone, I think it was MSNBC, that he didn't act because he was afraid of being targeted by SWAT.

He is extremely smart, wow. That is probably what would have happened.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

All Francis needs to do is make a clear statement that Davis is wrong.

I agree though that the it could have been a set up. That lets the Pope off the hook though and all sides can just believe whatever they want.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Obama has been forceful for a long time now he just is not covered by the msm and his new media game is only now getting going. He should be posting speeches straight to YouTube.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is the story behind this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Riptor posted:

why are they beholden to agree with the "gunman is voldemort" crowd? It's the media's job to report on the facts of the story, including the identity of the killer

We're devolving into magical and superstitious thinking.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

:ohdear:

Lemming posted:

What good does knowing the name of the guy who did it do for anyone unless he wasn't some nobody? All it does is show someone else "if you kill a bunch of people, you'll be on TV for weeks!"

It's news.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lemming posted:

The location and names of undercover cops in Chicago would also be news. Obviously you can tell that there are certain things that are not useful to say. What's the functional difference in terms of being informed about events between knowing the guy's name and not? It doesn't do anything useful and does do something potentially harmful.

The news value outweighs the social science evidence that it is harmful.

Also please see my post regarding superstition and magical thinking.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Your using thinking from a JK Rowling book. typing Chris Mercer isn't going to increase the evil points in the universe or curse someone.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wasn't the are you Christian thing hearsay from a Survivors dad.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's not every day the Pentagon admits to blowing up an active hospital. Jesus Christ.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

would you prefer they lied about it?

No, obviously I prefer that it didn't happen!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why are you making up an elaborate story to excuse a horrific war crime.

The U.S. intentionally blew up a hospital.

The pentagon blaming Afghan forces is just insulting racist propaganda.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Boon posted:

Im not?

I'm giving background as to how/why this could have happened in the context of the recent claim of an Afghani call for fire...

I'm sorry I read it as you believing the Pentagon. I apologize.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

If you actually think someone in the Pentagon made the decision to blow up a MSF hospital, knowing it was a hospital and knowing there were no enemy there, you are an idiot.

I'm sorry but that is actually what happened. I don't have to think or believe it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Boon posted:

No, stop. This is not actually what happened. That's not how the military works.

The military doesn't blow up buildings?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

The motivation being?

Why isn't incompetence a much more plausible answer?

I don't understand are you saying they meant to target some other building ? Even the pentagon doesn't say that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Condiv posted:

i don't get how the airstrike being called in by the afghani army absolves the us military of repeatedly bombing a hospital that was radioing to anyone who would listen that it was in fact a hospital

Yeah and that's even assuming you believe the pernicious foreigner slur.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I hope someone gets court martialed. A whole bunch of people actually.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vauge orders hahah. Yes they meant for them to blow up another hospital. Mistakes were made.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Urging for the prosecution of explicit war crimes = urging a kangaroo court.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Of course the USA would never bomb a hospital. But our perfidious nominal "allies"? Yeah they would totally do that . Of course they feed us bad coordinates. Americans are too good. The Afghan however ....

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The crew has an obligation to disobey an immoral and illegal order so they should be prosecuted as well. Just following orders hasn't cut it for awhile.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rereading the nyt article the pentagon even admits US forces were on the ground with or near the Afghan troops who so helpfully radioed on the attack allegedly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So explain what you think happened. Everyone is clearly lying, you tell us what happened, exactly.

The U.S. blew up a hospital. I think everyone agrees with that as I have said a few times.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Boon what are you going to say when the Pentagon changes its story again. Just adapt your headcannon to the new line from Arlington?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What series of events do you think - broad strokes would suffice - led to said hospital blowing up.?

“The reality is the U.S. dropped those bombs. The U.S. hit a huge hospital full of wounded patients and M.S.F. staff,” his statement continued, referring to the group by the initials of its French name, Médecins Sans Frontières. “The U.S. military remains responsible for the targets it hits, even though it is part of a coalition. There can be no justification for this horrible attack. With such constant discrepancies in the U.S. and Afghan accounts of what happened, the need for a full transparent independent investigation is ever more critical.”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think it'd be pretty weird if any of us were debating if the hospital got blown up! The issue here is you're flat out denying the story in favor of a malicious version, and I'd like to be walked through what exactly was the intent and context around us blowing up a hospital just cuz and pinning it on the poor Afghans.

No I'm saying intent and context is not really important in view of the monstrous reality. Also the Pentagon is far far far from a trustworthy source of information and has already contradicted itself in less than a day.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yes, I don't think anyone thinks the Afghan air force blew anything up. But you do realize the huge gulf between 'there was a horrible gently caress up, we take responsibility for the damage our poo poo did, but it was a gently caress up' and 'yea we blew up your hospital, ragheads, eat poo poo, also we're gonna blame you', right?

gently caress up like a bomb accidentally fell out of transport plane maybe that would sad.

What kind of gently caress up leads to a hospital being blown up. Did an officer go rogue or something . It's not like they bombed the wrong hospital.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also intent we know what the intent was that is trivial. Even the pentagon admits it meant to blow up the hospital. They story now is that those rascally Afghans are to Blame. No one is saying this is an accident. So intent is like . .. Obvious.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Intent is not important because it is obvious and manifest.

Context is not important because what can excuse such a crime. Is anyone saying that there was some sort of justification?

Hopefully this clears thing up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

Why is what the Pentagon "admits" acceptable evidence to you now when you've disregarded everything else that the Pentagon says up to this point?

Admissions against interest have high credibility.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

So things the Pentagon says go up in credibility proportionate to how bad it makes them look?

I didn't make that idea up. It is venerable common law

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Teflon Don posted:

I don't think anyone here disagrees that it happened, that it was bad and that people should be held responsible. But if you think it was intentional you are living in a delusion

So was the attack plane just randomly firing rounds of something.

Even the pentagon admits it was intentional come on now. The pilot or whoever fired the guns didn't stroke out and accidentally pull the trigger. It was an intentional act.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

are you being willfully dense for D&D cred or???

What definition of intentional should I be using.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

So you think that the pilot or the gunner or whoever should've looked out the window and determined if the target was a hospital or not?

Maybe in the future this would help matter possibly yes. The current method doesn't seem to be working very well if you accept the Pentagon's third and second explanation. Not the first though. We shall see when we get the fourth explanation maybe tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Obviously if U.S. forces were taking fire from the hospital that would mitigate the crime. MSF and the Pentagon both say US forces weren't taking fire from there however. (I am using the Pentagon's third story here for reference ).

• Locked thread