Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
New thread, thank god. The last one started moving a little too fast and I lost track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

When the Republican candidates are currently worse than Goldwater, I'd have a hard time seeing exactly how it's be 1972: Part 2 (they wish they had a candidate that came close to even nixon boogaloo)
I think you will find this is the strongest Republican presidential field in history!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Now is not the time to discuss gun control. People are dead. Be respectful instead of using this for political gain.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

this_is_hard posted:

The speeds at which TFR/GiP posters manage to show up at the mere instance of guns or gun control chat is pretty impressive, imo.
i'm pretty sure they have an actual siren that goes off whenever someone mentions guns in another forum.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Can mods reopen the Gunthread and make talking about guns in any other thread a bannable offense? Asking for a friend.
Gunthread never works, it's too easy to circumvent the insuffient and inefficient badposter screening system.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Require a license to purchase a gun, which can only be obtained after training and passing a safety test.

At least that way people who get guns would get the same amount of screening as people who want to drive a car.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

I wonder how many mass-shooting speeches Obama has pre-written by this point.

"We can't stand by and let another (another(another)) tragedy like this one happen again!"
Eventually he's just gonna sit slumped on his podium, silent, for the first 10 minutes of the press conference, before muttering "Here we are again."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

That argument falls apart when you start looking at the rest of the world. Brazil has strict licensing and ownership, and bans carry outside the home, so they must have a mature gun culture... Oh wait, they have one of the highest homicide rates on the planet.
A country famous for large parts of it being hideously poor has a high homicide rate? You don't say.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Can someone summarize what has gone on in this thread over the last 2,500 posts because hell if I'm gonna read all that.

I already made that mistake once this week reading the entire RSF democrat thread in one sitting.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Boon posted:

Oh holy gently caress the GOP just shot itself in the face!
This sounds like it's worth reading, how far upthread does the Boehnerchat start

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

"You know, I'm a brain surgeon.

The tragedy is that the only brain I couldn't fix... is my own."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Cabbit posted:

"I didn't ask for this." Paul Ryan, right now, probably.
"'A reference' - A person, probably" is my favorite USPOL meme

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Hooded Reptile posted:

breaking news, us suspending training of rebels.
Weak Obongo caves to Putin yet again

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Chaffetz has a severe case of the rat-face.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

If Ryan keeps up his current impressive streak of self-awareness and political savvy he'll tell the Tortilla Coasters to go gently caress themselves if they won't agree to his rules

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Like if I were him I'd demand a consensus from the Freedom Caucus. That would mean at least 80% of their membership agreeing to vote for him, triggering the Caucus' rule that requires the other 20% to vote with them. That means that either, A, he doesn't take a job that will have people gunning for him from day one, or two, he takes the job, and the Freedom Caucus starts to self-cannibalize when some of those 20% inevitably ignore their rules and vote on their own. It's a success that strengthens the party either way.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I gave him too much credit, clearly.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Hollismason posted:

people who work in service industry are subhuman
- Something I'd wager 70% of Americans actually (sometimes vocally) believe, including at least a third of all service industry workers

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's always so sad when people who are getting absolutely horsefucked by the system are like "well I made some mistakes in life so I totally deserve this lovely miserable existence" like goddamn expect better for yourself.
And the ones that don't think that way believe that the job they are currently working is beneath them, something only brainless grunts should be doing, they're totally better than that, it just happens to be a temporary situation until they stumble upon the big money making opportunity they're looking for.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I would like to propose a constitutional amendment declaring Joe Biden Eternal Vice President, naming him Vice President in perpetuity. In the unfortunate event of his retirement or death, all future 'acting' Vice Presidents will hold the title of Supreme Vice President.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

greatn posted:

I'm still team Bernie, but I am sure as hell saving some money for a general election donation to Hillary.
Hell, same

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

I mean, C-SPAN will obviously have the whole thing. This was the highlight for me. Martha Roby asking Hillary if she made a booty call after hearing about the Benghazi attack and then not understanding why everyone was laughing at her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0PPWJk_MLs
i... i don't see how this is funny, Secretary Clinton

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

So Congressman Mike Pompeo said there were 600 requests for security from Ambassador Stevens. This number sounds like complete horseshit. Is there any proof one way or the other?
Also I'd like to note that Secretary Clinton does not have special State Department security forces at her beck and call, and so even if Ambassador Stevens requested more security it would have gone through someone else.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Holy poo poo. The War on Drugs might actually be working!
The Obama administration can't federally outlaw the death penalty but I really admire how much of a pain in the rear end they've made it

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I swear to god Someone actually said " Well if you don't pay fire insurance or you are late and your house is on fire then they should just let it burn" " Well what if there are children inside?" " That's not the firefighters responsibility because the parents didn't pay for insurance"
This is literally how privatized fire departments work

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

"a feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer values, like compassion"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Magres posted:

Lol muscular christian virtues

e;f,b

I'VE GOT SOME MUSCULAR CHRISTIAN VIRTUES FOR YOU BROTHA

GONNA GIVE YOU THE BIBLE THUMPER

-The Evangelist, pro wrestler

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Tobermory posted:

Gallup just released a new poll about the Tea Party.

What is this painful feeling in my chest... is it... hope???

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

30.5 Days posted:

They only don't support the tea party because of their apparent failure to accomplish anything.
Maybe like one or two of them will follow that realization to its logical conclusion, instead of doubling down on "conservatism can't fail, it can only be failed"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

You can only go so far down the barrel before you start hitting legit fascists, i think we start seeing them soon.
In today's era where everyone leaves an internet footprint, I'm looking forward to people challenging for the House of Representative being revealed to have extensive Stormfront posting records.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Candidate as DnD character makes its triumphant return

Foul negromancer

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Didn't the Speaker vote for the amendment to abolish slavery (according to the movie?)?
Schulyer Colfax was the Speaker at the time. He was a strong opponent of slavery and during his term as Speaker, he announced the passage of the Thirteenth Amendment in 1865. Though it is unusual for a Speaker to vote, Colfax, perhaps with an eye towards posterity, directed the clerk to call his name after the roll call had been taken. He then cast the final vote in favor of the amendment, to much applause from the supporters in the House.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

In case you're feeling too happy on this fine All Hallows Eve, here is an article on the racist history of the candy industry.
Unsurprisng. Candy manufacturers have a long and infamous history of exploiting foreign national workers to the point of effective slave labor.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

fukkin rekked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

SNL was never funny; only its predecessor, NBC's Saturday Night, was any good.
This take is so hot it's blazing.

• Locked thread