Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Volkswagen didn't break any laws because environmental protection laws are hilarious bullshit that have never and will never be enforceable

Someone else comment on this in the new thread. I am way more interested in this than whether Jeb! backers want to throw more money into fires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I think we can all agree that guns had nothing to do with this mass shooting.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I never want to hear that poo poo. The thing about going to war with your neighbors that I guess everyone forgets is that no matter how it ends, they'll still be there. There's no kind of magical war that makes the other side just disappear.

There is nuclear war but that sort of makes all sides disappear.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
A war on guns would be exactly like a war on drugs, they are just so similar. Everyone knows that once you use a gun it is gone and you need to buy more guns, plus guns are physically and mentally addictive and are an escape from reality for desperate and depressed people.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Also like 60% of the guns in El Salvador were illegally brought there from the US, where their purchase was legally allowed because we have so few gun laws.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
So can we stop talking about guns and instead discuss who is going to be the next House Majority Leader?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Maybe the Jeb! of 2000 realized that, even though government regulation regarding the safety of pools may somewhat hamper American Liberty, it would undoubtedly save children's lives and was thus a net benefit for the society.

Unlike 2015 Jeb, who wants children to be either drowned or shot to death, though you do get the liberty to choose which.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The US military should help rebuild that hospital probably, they certainly have the money for it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ditocoaf posted:

They might have accidentally blown up a charity hospital, but they aren't evil. They were just a bit sloppy with checking the location they were ordering an air strike. It's a bad system, mea culpa, we'll maybe be more careful next time and kill fewer doctors.

What a world.

It's better than the Taliban who blew up charity hospitals as a matter of policy.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Spaceman Future! posted:

no its really not

You're right, if given the choice between an unaccountable mostly incompetent foreign military killing people by accident occasionally and an unaccountable mostly incompetent foreign military killing people on purpose constantly I would be completely unable to decide between the two.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Yeah the Taliban overran that city like a week ago and are currently still actively fighting around the area, so again, this isn't a terrorist attack on a sacrosanct bastion of peace, it is a targeting mistake in an active war zone.

It is bad that it happened, it is always bad when innocent civilians get killed, but it isn't a brutally repressive regime kidnapping, raping, trafficking and murdering thousands while actively trying to kill innocent civilians.

They aren't the same thing.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Sharkie posted:

"we should ensure that those responsible are held accountable and face justice?"

Do you think that someone should face murder charges for this?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm glad that we, and our military force which is the most most powerful in the world, are at least better than the Taliban. We're just a bit sloppy when furthering our goals in a region, and sometimes accidentally kill some civilians or bomb a hospital. It's a tragedy, but at least we aren't doing it on purpose. I'm sure we'll be more careful next time. We're a force for good in the world.

You're being sarcastic but you aren't wrong.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Sharkie posted:

Oh look at what you forgot to quote:

Do you think that no one should face any charges for this?

"Overworked, underpaid 20 year old thousands of miles from home in war a torn country sentenced to life in jail for fifteen murders because he was lazy with checking coordinates in the middle of the night"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Joementum posted:

There is also a school of thought that says Ryan doesn't actually want to be Speaker and is hoping that HFC will freak out and block him. His insistence on rejection of the motion to vacate and his public statements tonight pretending he got an endorsement from them can be seen as evidence of this theory. Several members of the HFC who met with him tonight, particularly Mo Brooks, happen to believe this.

“It’s like interviewing a maid for a job and she says, ‘I don’t clean windows, I don’t do floors, I don’t do beds, these are the hours I’ll work.’ It’s rubbing a lot of people the wrong way,” Rep. Matt Salmon (R-Ariz.), a co-founder of the Freedom Caucus, told The Hill.[The Hill, 10/21/15]

Speaker of the House of Representatives of the United States is just like being a maid.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The similarity here is that he didn't want to be washing dishes in that staged photo-op, and he also doesn't want to be Speaker. Both times he is forced to do something to further his career, and both will probably set him back significantly.

What are the odds of him picking some random reason to drop out?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Many Democrats and people further left than Democrats hate that Congressional Democrats are all about compromise and want to extend olive branches while Republicans constantly attempt to slit their throats. Attempting to take the middle of the road and meet the GOP halfway is no longer seen by many voters as being the adult in the room. We're on Investigation #8 of Benghazi and people are eager for Democrats to call it like it is.

Now, I've read about him a little, but can someone explain to me why everyone hates Sidney Blumenthal?

Did you watch this one? They DID call the GOP out on their obvious pandering bullshit. There were actually some amazing speeches about it, tons of enthusiasm and spirit, about how dumb and stupid the idiot babies badgering HRC were being.

It just turns out that that doesn't actually do anything. j

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

The CIA was across town. There were several DSS agents that were providing security and they did everything that could have been reasonably expected...

:(

The worst part is, even though there was exceptional heroism from the security present that day, seethingly partisan Republicans would rather belittle their work, and in effect pretend they weren't here, to make the stupidest pettiest point.

Their point being that Hillary personally stopped the United States Space Marines (which is actually more like the unarmed foreign army corps of engineers, known for building walls and cleaning up bombing sites) from dropshipping in from their space stations and saving everyone's lives.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

So that's where all the W keys removed by Bill Clinton's staff went!

Remember that Republicans spent a year and interviewed 150 people about that.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
George W. Bush, besides being the worst president in history, was also in a very real sense not elected to the office.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Joementum posted:

I'm not going to spend time arguing this point except to say that a difference of under 1000 votes in a state the size of Florida is a statistical tie and if the wind had blown a bit different that day a lot of conventional wisdom about presidential elections would be different.

I hate that our elections are so incompetently run and riddled with problems that a thousand vote uncertainty is an amount that people dismiss as impossible to diminish.

It isn't hard to count things. My thesis research counts 100 million things that are much more complicated than 1|0 binary and I haven't lost any.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

To expand on this, there are real statistical problems with obtaining an accurate count of votes, even ignoring poo poo like ballot interpretation. Most of the times, the margin is such that it didn't matter

I think you mean there are real practical problems with counting that many votes over a large geographic area in a partisan setting. Statistically there are no problems. You should get the same one number every time.

Nintendo Kid posted:

The Florida ballots were like 7 candidates and a dozen different awful ballot layouts that year.

Each of my measurements is 38kB of raw binary with no headers. The problem is practical implementation not statistical fluctuation.

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 24, 2015

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The best way to fight a wage gap is to make all salaries public record.

Neither of those videos have any substance except "bad thing bad" which is annoying, though better than Republicans who think those bad things are either fine or good.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It turns out that voting for Nader in 2000 immediately rocketed the world towards irreversible environmental collapse which will exterminate all human and most animal life, leading to a quiet green plant dominated Earth.

That probably was what the Green party wanted.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm just wondering if the right wing will return to the same universe as the rest of American politics before the world ends at this point.

They haven't been even tangentially part of objective reality for at least 30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
There can be no bigger disaster for Jeb Bush's campaign than Jeb Bush

• Locked thread