Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I do love that fresh new thread smell.

As far as my two cents are concerned, I badly want a political comedy called Hillz 'n' Huma...a kind of mash-up of The West Wing and The Office.

Can Hillary get someone at the State switchboard to believe that yes, she really is Hillary Clinton, while simultaneously consoling Huma on the thing with her unfortunately named husband!? Tune in to find out, at 9/8 central, only on NBC! (We peacock comedy.)

Oh, you mean we already have Veep? Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Just like these guys were hunting for deer in a fast food restaurant!

The number of Americans who really really really want to dress up every day like they were in an active combat zone is...just sad really, given the hundreds of thousands of people fleeing active combat zones these days.

EDIT: Needs more bullet bandoliers though

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

People have been accusing humanitarian organizations of being collaborators of evil for decades (and probably longer, but I don't have time to do the research). MSF actually split from the Red Cross because they felt they weren't adequately supporting/speaking out on behalf of victims of the Biafran civil war/famine.

None of which is to excuse an attack on an organization that won the freaking Nobel Peace Prize, only to note that when humans see someone helping someone get better, some of the particularly lovely humans will inevitably wonder if they'll also provide that kind of unconditional assistance to the other side.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

nachos posted:

It really is amazing how 40 R+13 districts have the entire country under lockdown. Power to the people.

God, if only the hard-core Dems could've pulled these kinds of stunts back around 2007-2009...

...then this whole mess would have started a lot sooner, of course. :sigh:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

computer parts posted:

That's the way politics work in the US. You think nothing is ever going to change and then something breaks and it all changes at once.

Go look at the process that turned California blue.

It's the way politics works worldwide, period.

Things look nutty now, but the demographics mean it really is only a matter of time before the country goes Democratic permanently or the GOP changes its tune.

EDIT: The linked article also leaps into my head at least every other year or so, as some "entirely impossible to predict" sea change happens somewhere in the world and everyone leaps to their feet in total shock and surprise. Oh brother.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I'm normally the last person to pull the anti-Semitism card, but in my opinion, it really is straight-up anti-Semitism to argue that if the Jews had just, like, got guns and tried harder, they might not have all been killed. When an entire society and its professionally trained and equipped military has decided you, and everyone like you, are going to die, it's already too late. Especially given that, thanks to the principle of collective punishment, the killing of a single Nazi was justification enough for wiping out entire towns of people.

Which they were able to do pretty easily. With their guns.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah stupid Jews didn't even try to fight back.

People in the comments are actually arguing that if the Warsaw Ghetto fighters had only had more guns, they...might have won? Somehow?

In my Holocaust head canon, the Jews get nukes, which is why I'm for global nuclear rearmament.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

quote:

"I thought he threw away the plans, at least that’s what he told me when he programmed me — that there would be no more."
“I’ve seen more people that kind of don’t sweat, and other things, that make me think maybe they are part of the new race that he created: the robot race,” Clinton added.

:tinfoil:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Does anyone else think that Hillary skidded and burnt out in the final words of the debate when speaking after Bernie?

I wouldn't say she burnt out, but her performance in the later half of the debate, including her closing statement, were definitely indicative of her ultimately milquetoast positions in comparison to Sanders. I was still impressed by how polished she was (no poo poo, she's a national politician who's done this for years), but Sanders is also definitely going to be around for quite a bit longer and that makes me really happy. :kimchi:

(In short I agree with Fried Chicken.)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

euphronius posted:

I love how people have been saying its a witch hunt for years but it is only true now because a republican said it.

Just a thought: One of my favorite historians of US politics defines "scandal" as only being something that people of both political parties acknowledge as scandalous.

It's super stupid, but no matter how obvious, if members of only one party yell a lot, it tends not to win over the number of politically active Americans necessary to create a real stink.

EDIT: Grammar correction.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 15, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!"

I know it's just attention-seeking behavior but then you read books like The Handmaiden's Tale and start to get suspicious about how much is attention-seeking and how much is openly plotting a fun, brave new antebellum, Bible law world.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

quote:

Bessler questions the bicyclist’s account, saying the dog was shot in the rear. “He has his story,” he told the Tribune. “I know my dog. I have my story.”

Wish this was only an Onion article, but you can't make this stuff up. :sigh:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

EDIT: ^ I'd watch it. With The Big Revolution happening in the finale of Season 1, of course.

Saying utterly stupid poo poo like "Wealth is the last taboo" and "protests can be very stressful for the rich" is just ridiculous, but I do feel sympathy for people who have money but are depressed and anxious from living unsatisfying and unhappy lives when they're supposed to "have it all". That's fundamentally hard to sympathize with, of course, but that only makes it worse.

EDIT2: Also kind of tired of these kinds of pieces where they interview "wealth therapists" and then run away giggling with their clickbait. They're therapists, they're not about to go about announcing how much they hate their rich clients and ugh, they should just suck it up, buttercup.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 19, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

spunkshui posted:

I just hate how everyone is demonizing the teacher when the kids goal was to get this reaction.

All part of a devious plot really

Worked out great, the teacher's been fired, so has the principal, and he got off scot-free!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Ashcans posted:

If you had asked me 'where do I find the CIA director's email', I would not have answered AOL in a hundred guesses. Maybe he was on to something?

He's 60 years old, I'd like to think someone with that knowledge would have gotten it within 5 guesses.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

For the 9th committee hearing she should demand they spend a full 36 hours. And just sit there hapyp as a clam the whole thing as the Republicans fall one by one in exhaustion and shame.

The political equivalent of drinking someone under the table.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Zwabu posted:

I don't think these were posted, but the Washington Post's Ann Telnaes did some nice sketches of the Benghazi committee dustup yesterday:

Now if only there was an animated cartoon of these. I'd watch the poo poo out of that.

Telnas has done some sweet slightly animated GIFs.

The political cartoon world just hasn't been the same since the end of Li'l Bush. :sigh:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

so how did hillary's testimony go? any meaningful developments or is this just going to keep continuing indefinitely?

Gowdy seems to want to press ahead but it's been universally acknowledged at this point that A) there was no substantially new information and B) Hillary came out of it looking like a freaking champion sooooooo

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It's a good question actually, is Ben Gazi gazin' going to go on literally forever or will someone finally loving drop it?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

weekly font posted:

I'm genuinely more scared of President Carson than President Trump.

I can't even tell which might be worse because their weird campaign personae make it impossible to tell what kind of weird poo poo would actually hit the fan.

It's entirely possible the usual Establishment preferences would assert themselves and we'd end up with a relatively milquetoast conservative. It's entirely possible they would break the Establishment and open the Hellmouth itself.

I personally foresee a Le Pen situation à la France 2002, where the leftist candidate unexpectedly finished behind a crypto-fascist and everyone panicked en masse and voted for the rightist candidate, but this isn't the best metaphor because the percentage of Americans who are unironically pro-crazy seems slightly higher than in France.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

KingFisher posted:

Thanks Necco so this is sort of utility by choice as each state has the surplus to pay for the newly discovered need for healthcare.

There isn't any "utility by choice," and it doesn't have anything to do with economic surpluses or the idea that health care is a newly discovered need. National health insurance/care systems were rolled out in each country under unique circumstances, mostly related to social and political conditions.

The UK, for instance, prior to the 1940s, had previously relied on a rather recognizable patchy network of what was essentially private insurance organizations and hospitals funded by benefactors who provided services for the poor. The 1942 Beveridge Report basically said "it's a bloody great idea for us to have a national health care system because it's much more efficient than this patchwork and helps us drive down costs, and, in fact, rolling it out for everyone's even more efficient than some ridiculously complex system for just the poor, oh, and it's also the right thing to do because everyone deserves health care". Every single political party agreed that this was a great idea, and three years later, bang, the NHS.

KingFisher posted:

I presume you folks don't see insurance as actually adding any value in terms of actual health outcomes right.

Obviously there is disagreement in the country about state provision for such utilities. How would you feel if instead of extending insurance coverage to all, the states role was one to force down costs?

Insurance is incredibly valuable in creating beneficial health outcomes: people with insurance can actually access preventative health care without going broke or crossing their fingers that the hospital will forgive them for running into the ER. Full treatment of many chronic diseases also practically requires insurance so you can have additional time with the health care system frequently required for someone to fully diagnose and treat the cause of the illness, rather than the symptoms.

It'd be awesome if the US government could somehow unilaterally represent the entire nation's health care need — say, by extending insurance coverage to all, and then acting as a negotiator on behalf of hundreds of millions of people — but as it is our state and our health care system is fragmented into pieces that make negotiation difficult at best.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

KingFisher posted:

Do you think insurance could be the kind of thing software could manage? Like rates and such given rules kind always pay out claims and with known inputs?

I'm pretty sure this is what the Japanese system uses? The cost for particular kinds of procedures is always the same.

EDIT:

KingFisher posted:

Just coming back to this. Do you think housing and food provision due to technological changes have moved from being a low cost "self provided" utility to being one that is more much closer to healthcare?

It did ages ago. The US and many other countries give the poor benefits for food. And in the UK, the same Beveridge Report that acted as the seed for the NHS demanded the government provide "adequate income" and "adequate housing" as well as "adequate health care."

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 26, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Sharon Angle

Oh god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3LE15AyT5g

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah those two and Christine Odonnel always stand out as the 'holy gently caress these people were too crazy to win even in 2010' category.

Oh my lord Christine O'Donnell.

I remember researching Angle and O'Donnell back in 2010 and I still distinctly remember my face shifting from disbelief straight to :wtf:

Hollismason posted:

Talking about crazy whatever happened to Michelle Bachman?

Retired just in time to duck a bunch of ethics investigations and an FBI investigation relating to the under-the-table financial poo poo that went down during her 2012 presidential campaign. Occasionally pops up on genuinely insane millenarian evangelical media outlets to chat about how whatever new thing is a sign of the End Times.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I didn't know about the ethics violations. Is she still doing Gay Conversion Therapy ?

Marcus is still running his "Christian counseling clinic" thing, apparently.

I feel like I'm the host of a late-nite "Where Are They Now?" show. It's kind of surreal, seeing all these familiar old faces. We had such good times together. :allears:

I always like the part where they gently caress off into the wilderness and are never seen again the best. All that attention and their national media platform, gone in an instant.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

:sigh: Poor guy. Just imagine all the fabulosity that could have been strutting down Commercial Street in Ptown.

EDIT: Also saw the name of someone else we haven't seen in a while...

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

greatn posted:

She's great off the cuff like at that hearing or at the debates but her prepared statements and speeches (including prepared stuff where you could tell in the debate it has been rehearsed beforehand) is godawful and feels incredibly artificial and forced. Every time she has some over written joke or obvious applause line I Picard forehead.

It's not off the cuff: Hillary's been deliberately focusing on projecting calm, unflappable confidence (with notes of compassion) by doing little things like speaking more slowly and deliberately, and not raising her voice. It's working brilliantly, but it's been a long time coming as her performances have swung between faster and louder (which apparently triggers people's "shrill harpy" alarms) and, as you mentioned, wooden and artificial.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Ahahahaha

quote:

She seemed oddly detached about Stevens, testifying that he didn’t have her personal email or cell number, “but he had the 24-hour number of the State Operations in the State Department that can reach me 24/7.”

Is the Secretary of State honestly supposed to be handing out her personal number to every single one of the hundreds of ambassadors and envoys we employ?

Dowd's poison pen never fails to amuse me, honestly.

Also, WTF is all this sexist bullshit:

quote:

If her husband humiliates her with a girlfriend in the Oval Office, Hillary turns around and uses the sympathy engendered to launch a political career. If her Republican opponent gets in her space in an overbearing way during a debate, she turns around and uses the sympathy engendered to win a Senate seat. If conservatives hold a Salem witch trial under the guise of a House select committee hearing, she turns around and uses the sympathy engendered to slip into the H.O.V. lane of a superhighway to the presidency.

What, was she just supposed to just play homemaker? These kinds of attacks are only the kind that make Hillary look stronger.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Slaan posted:

Isn't she the columnist that Obama really, really hates because she automatically goes after perceived, and baseless, internal motivations rather than actual actions?

Yeah.

Also, let this be a lesson to all of us: speak of the devil and she doth appear.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

KiteAuraan posted:

What is with the auctioning of airwave spectrums? Does that generate a lot of revenue or is it more of a "get rid of government control" thing?

An open spectrum auction, properly designed, can be a great way efficiently and transparently allocate the spectrum to whoever values it the most. The revenue generation is nice, but it's secondary to the basic purpose of managing a limited but extremely important resource.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

duz posted:

I hope everyone insists on pronouncing it in the french manor just to piss off the HFC.

Le Foyer de la Liberté :france:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

euphronius posted:

I don't know why Dowd has a job there she is probably popular with the owners and editors.

And the readers. Dowd has the only thing that's important for an op-ed columnist: a strong voice of a particular character (the Skeptical, Gossipy Democrat). What that voice says is, honestly, irrelevant.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

zoux posted:

Haha showing here his mastery of international sovereign debt, Carson vows never to raise debt ceiling as President.

I'm never going to get tired of reposting Carson's Marketplace interview.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Kaal posted:

I've already talked to a number of Bernie supporters who are refusing to vote for Hillary Clinton if/when she is nominated. It's quite early in the general election race, but the polls are pretty bad for Democrats right now.

People will find their excuses in a split second if they want.

One of my family members lives a mile's walk from a polling place in a critical election purple state where you can register at the polls and still didn't go vote even after I called them repeatedly on election day asking if they were going to go vote.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

pathetic little tramp posted:

Is C-Span streaming the house speaker vote? I want to be there live if something amazingly stupid happens and they gently caress it up somehow. (99% chance Ryan will get elected with no trouble, but come on I want magic dammit)

Yup, watching everyone get called to the House floor right now. Going to have to suffer through Boehner's final speech first, though.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I don't think Rubio will hold up under even a little scrutiny when he becomes the front runner...

My conservative relatives insist Rubio did great, like they do after every Republican debate so far. This is likely in part because they know he's the only one who can actually pretend to be a quasi-professional candidate in the general election and get any non-white, non-old, non-crazy votes.

But yeah he always seems like he's going to go to pieces under even the slightest bit of stress. In their shoes I'd prefer Trump for the Republican candidate just because he can actually handle himself, but we both know that there's no way Trump can win the general because he's literally nothing but a really loving rich TV game show host.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Trump is probably the best person on that stage...

No doubt. He really is their best candidate.

Awwww, Boehner sounds so happy right now. :kimchi:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Haha, remember when we eliminated earmarks and it turns out that was the only thing keeping you merry band of idiots from trying to eat me alive? Good tiiiiimes

EDIT: John Boehner, Fashion Police. :getin:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Welcome to the Hotel Boehneronia~

Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)

Such a bright orange face (such a bright orange face)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

:lol: no further nominations

Webster apparently told everyone to not even bother voting for him, so this sews that up pretty nicely.

• Locked thread