Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Stereotype posted:

So can we stop talking about guns and instead discuss who is going to be the next House Majority Leader?

McCarthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

euphronius posted:

What is the story behind this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Lee_Rigby

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
"First of all, you have very strong laws on the books, but you're always going to have problems . . . We have millions and millions of people, we have millions and millions of sick people all over the world. It can happen all over the world and it does happen all over the world, by the way. But this is sort of unique to this country, the school shootings. And you're going to have difficulty no matter what. . . .It's not politically correct to say that, but you're going to have difficulty and that will be for the next million years, there's going to be difficulty and people are going to slip through the cracks. What are you going to do, institutionalize everybody?" - Donald Trump on the shooting

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Lemming posted:

Are you kidding me? We're still hearing about the dingus that shot up the theater. He lived, which generally doesn't seem to be the case, but these shootings are absolutely huge news for long periods of time, and they spend tons of time discussing the shooter and everything about them.

Unless your point is that what I said is hyperbole, in which case, congratulations, you identified a hyperbole.

We still heard about the theater shooter because Arapahoe County wasted millions of dollars trying and failing to secure a death penalty verdict that would literally never be carried out if they had succeeded. Which they did not, making the whole exercise even more of a farce.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
So according to campaign disclosures, of Hewlett Packard's 302,000 personnel, only one (that is to say, 1) person from the company, a board member, donated a reportable amount of over $200 to Fiorina's campaign.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

raven4267 posted:

Judging by the last gun thread here, owning a gun for personal protection while living in the inner city makes you a white paranoid doomsday prepper because nothing bad ever happens to people living in the ghetto.

Okay I've never understood this about racist gun retards, if say, you are in a ~black ghetto~ and you get mugged, for being a white person of course, how does a gun help you in an armed robbery? If one reaches for a gun while having a gun pointed at them, they'll either be shot or they won't, and if they aren't shot then the robber was not a threat to begin with. And if someone gets robbed by an armed person, and then after tries to turn the table, they are committing their own crime. What is the point of a weapon in that situation even assuming random victimization?

edit: sorry absurd alhazred, NM

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Teflon Don posted:

Heh oh really

Nah it died at the district court level, but relevant portion:

quote:

I hold that a municipal police officer is not a soldier for purposes of the Third Amendment. This squares with the purpose of the Third Amendment because this was not a military intrusion into a private home, and thus the intrusion is more effectively protected by the Fourth Amendment. Because I hold that municipal officers are not soldiers for the purposes of this question, I need not reach the question of whether the occupation at issue in this case constitutes quartering, though I suspect it would not.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Someone needs to explain to me how this could lead to a global financial meltdown.

It would cause a default because the U.S. would not be able to service debt payments absent the ceiling being raised. A default would most likely cause the value of the Treasury securities to plummet, and interest rates for future debt to sky rocket. Outstanding treasury securities are worth ~$13 trillion (not counting intragovernment held securities in this figure), held primarily in the U.S. but also globally, and the are a major source of cash equivalent reserves in the financial system, so their value collapsing would destroy the balance sheets of many financial institutions and potentially make them insolvent, causing a run. It would also harm the value of the dollar which is a global reserve currency. This would probably cause a run on foreign banks that hold dollar denominated or dependent assets, which is to say pretty much all of them depending on the level of exposure to the bank. The resulting economic catastrophe in the U.S. would also significantly impact all of its trading partners.

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 5, 2015

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Dolash posted:

Not to mention that there's not even a guarantee that sending out George won't backfire, who knows what the base makes of his presidency now.

"And a CBS-New York Times survey found that, nationally, 71 percent of Republicans had a favorable view of the former president and only 10 percent said they viewed him unfavorably."

Don't misunderestimate mouth breathing GOP voters

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

DemeaninDemon posted:

Jeb! really is Gob Bluth isn't he?

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

photographic confirmation

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

Xenophobia against elephants. Gotcha.

I think he means against the Chinese.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's that mean? It sounds hilarious.

No candidate has a majority of committed delegates at the convention, and it moves to 2nd round + voting where the delegates get to pick a nominee

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's somewhat more boring than the image I had in my head.

Well it'd be funny because the GOP delegates would pick really badly. See, e.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._W._Jackson#2013_Lieutenant_Governor_candidacy

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Related question. Can anyone relay to me a vision for what Afghanistan is supposed to look like when we finally pull out?

Perpetual war between Kabul and the Taliban is I think Washington's ideal scenario at this point and has been for years.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Hoo eee, this MSF conversation sure has been circular and tedious for days, what's up in US politics?

Polls suggest Bernie might be competitive in a general election. Doesn't mean much at this stage but eat your hearts out, Bernouts!

Also in unsurprising news, McCarthy is walking back his Benghazi Kinsley gaffe.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

There's a good chance it was OFAC rather than FinCEN talking to Toyota because FinCEN deals with financial crimes and not much in the way of goods being delivered. Once they determine how and where the vehicles are being purchased, FinCEN should be able to tack down who is doing the buying. The only unique information Toyota is probably going to be able to provide is regional at best, since collecting the records from regional dealers will be quicker and inclusive of more of the trail. They've [Toyota] even said the vehicle models seen in pictures all over social media are older, meaning if they even retained the original dealer delivery information after this long there's a fair chance the trail goes cold there. They're better off monitoring banks in Monterey Park and seizing any accounts sending and receiving wires larger than $40k with more than one beneficiary party.

What even are you arguing, that they shouldn't talk to Toyota at all for uh, reasons, even though Toyota has produced the Hilux for decades well aware that it is a tool of insurgency and war? There's even a war called the Toyota War for fucks sake. Is an inquiry such a horrific burden they should just get hosed or what in God's name is your point

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Congratulations to Bob McCulloch, the District Attorney who deliberately sabotaged the Darren Wilson grand jury, on being awarded Prosecutor of the Year by the Missouri Bar Association.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Frabba posted:

Does this even matter after the DoJ also cleared the officer of wrongdoing?

That was because the intent requirement to prosecute him got Screwed (ha ha ha) up a long time ago by the Supreme Court to protect racist police officers. Manslaughter/murder would have been easier to prove than Wilson setting out with the intent to violate Michael Brown's rights. That retard probably doesn't even know what those rights are. Still, the MO bar should not be congratulating an attorney who hosed up the biggest case of his career on purpose, and then used inflammatory rhetoric to incite a riot. If you don't understand why that doesn't deserve a trophy, then well, USPOL I guess.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

mcclay posted:

I've been slightly out of the loop on inter-Republican party politics because I don't care about the screaming inmates of a 1950s insane asylum, so who the hell are the Raiders of the Tortilla Coast?

House Freedom Caucus (group of Tea Partiers) that do their Machiavellian scheming in a lovely Tex Mex restaurant.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Personally I think a civil war would potentially be a bad thing, for America

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
All hail Emperor Obamastus

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
The line up for the next GOP presidential debate is.... exactly the same as the last one but minus Scott Walker, who died.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

So I saw a trailer for the Michael Bay Benghazi movie with the government telling troops not to save our people and a character literally going "we requested an air strike but it never came" several people in the theater started talking about how horrible it was that Hillary let that happen. If a Michael Bay movie spreads enough misinformation to get a Republican elected I'm just going to walk into the ocean and hope I'm reincarnated in a different country. Do we have a thread talking about this abomination.

Dude it's being released in loving January no one but the lunatics that will never like the D are gonna see that turd and its ages before the election. Still though when it comes out we should have a film analysis thread for it!

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
The movie looks fun though in the sense of how bad it will be. It has barely anything to do with the actual victims of the Benghazi attack, the actors playing those people have like 20th billing at best and the film instead focuses on fictional PMCs that uh failed to save them.

Anyway here's Vilerat:

As a bonus, here is the actor playing the leader of whatever the gently caress the movie is turning Ansar al-Sharia into:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

radical meme posted:

Is this Beijing? It looks like a scene from Blade Runner.

It's from Beijing but it's not like "well you'll never see the sunset, have a virtual one" it was a conveniently timed picture of the screen having an advertisement for tourism in Shandong + a usual day of lovely pollution

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Michael Bay's Benghazi film will probably be a huge hit. I dunno why people think it wouldn't be. Consider Triumph of the will American Sniper and how much money it made. Michael Bay's films make money even Pain and Gain although not a blockbuster made a shitload of money.

I was going by January releases are infamously terrible at the box office, though an exception does appear to be lovely rear end military kills Muslims films. Of the top 20 January wide releases, 1/5th fit this criteria (American Sniper, Lone Survivor, Black Hawk Down, Zero Dark Thirty). However, all 4 of those were awards bait films that had limited releases in December the previous year, before their January wide release to be eligible for the Oscars and build up hype. Benghazi The Movie does not have that.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

greatn posted:

Is there seriously a contingent of people that believe A) there were special forces in range, ready to go and B) the secretary of state has the power to command them and C) ordered them to stand down?

Contingent is a fairly modest word for "like all Republicans basically"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

greatn posted:

Didn't security teams rescue the majority of our people there?

Watch Thirteen Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi this January 15 in a theatre near you to find out

• Locked thread