Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

A small boy once approached his slightly older sister with a question about Bernie Sanders.

"Susie, can anybody ever really see Bernie Sanders?" he asked. Busy with other things, Susie curtly replied: "No, of course not, silly. Bernie Sanders is so busy on the campaign trail that nobody can see him."

Time passed, but his question still lingered, so he approached his mother: "Mom, can anybody ever really see Bernie Sanders?" "No, not really," she gently said. "Bernie Sanders is a spirit and he dwells in our hearts, but we can never really see him."

Somewhat satisfied but still wondering, the youngster went on his way. Not long afterwards, his saintly old grandfather took the little boy on a fishing trip. They were having a great time together -- it had been an ideal day. The sun was beginning to set with unusual splendor as the day ended.

The old man stopped fishing and turned his full attention to the exquisite beauty unfolding before him. On seeing the face of his grandfather reflecting such deep peace and contentment as he gazed into the magnificent ever-changing sunset, the little boy thought for a moment and finally spoke hesitatingly: "Granddad, I - I wasn't going to ask anybody else, but I wonder if you can tell me the answer to something I've been wondering about a long time. Can anybody, can anybody ever really see Bernie Sanders?"

The old man did not even turn his head. A long moment slipped by before he finally answered. "Son," he quietly said. "It's getting so I can't see anything else."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

I actually own several guns (a couple 9mm Nerfs and a Super Soaker) and as a gun owner I am all for gun control legislation to prevent tragedies like this.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

You say that, but if you're being honest with yourself you'll realize that the first step in the Holocaust, before the deportations and forced resettlement, before the concentration camps and ethnic cleansing, was disarming the populace. It's not that big of a stretch.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Fried Chicken posted:

You know Hitler actually loosened gun laws, right?

You know the statistics say that an increase the the availability of guns actually reduces violent crime? And that Hitler, though a reprehensible human being and a horrible, horrible racist, was actually a leader who wanted the best for his people? Don't try to cast me as a holocaust apologist either, in this analogy the American people would be the Jews--castrated, emasculated, and defenseless.

Look, gun control is not the answer here. Seriously, I can provide some real data if you still think gun control is going to help the American people. I deal in facts, not emotional bullshit that always comes up after a tragedy.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Spaceman Future! posted:

yes, please post the numbers that indicate gun control increases violent crime.

You asked for it.

This is a direct comparison of U.S. violent crime in areas with AND without gun control legislation. Germany before and after guns were removed as well. Guess when there was more violent crime?

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

With regards to the gun debate and sensationalizing the killers in the media, I find it a little ironic that this NYT piece How They Got Their Guns intends to make a case for increasing the strictness of background checks, but ends up reading more like a Call of Duty killfeed.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

So you're saying Donald Trump never throws the first punch???

Wow what a guy, no wonder he's polling eight times higher than Rubio.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Luigi Thirty posted:

But both those positions are objectively correct.

But this post is objectively bad.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

a shameful boehner posted:

All in all, everything you'd expect a Bernie rally to be about.

So nothing about the blacks, then?

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

DeusExMachinima posted:

a) that's not OSHA, my source was and b) 120db *can* cause hearing loss immediately *after* prior exposure that day. Some shorter/lighter suppressors intended primarily for combat versus range use are just under the 140db threshold, most aren't. Don't know where you got your "average" from. Try again.

Why should I need to know such absurd specifics in order to legislate guns? I shouldn't have to know the max temperature for an automatic transmission in order to enact a speed limit.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

various cheeses posted:

So ban and confiscate the majority of guns. No thank you. You're certainly not Hitler, but you're not asking for anything reasonable either, so no thanks.

If I like to play with cruise missiles and nuclear bombs in my backyard, should the government not be able to take those away from me either?

What about Drones? There have already been cases of people attaching guns to their drones, now drones are highly regulated in most places to keep them 1. from being murder machines and 2. from causing problems in the airspace. Same as guns, started out as a simple hobby, now they are legislated and controlled so they are less dangerous to society. They even have security uses too. What makes guns an exception, besides the second amendment?

Milk Malk fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 12, 2015

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

various cheeses posted:

Interesting that you assume that. Clearly due to my disagreement with your policy, I'm some sort of subhuman or mental defective. You're sure to win a lot of people over with that attitude.

Look, some people are trying to argue their case in good faith. Nintendo Kid is not one of them. Just ignore him, ok? Most everyone does.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

sharknado slashfic posted:

Are you saying that people should vote against their own interests because that would make you...a republican.

:wth:

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

LGD posted:

Given that it's over a decade out and there are no signs of such a thing whatsoever, I think that's actually an incredibly stupid bet on your part. I'd love to take it for nearly any amount of money, but the lack of any sort of definite end date on your side makes it a non-starter since no one would be able to collect.
/

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

this_is_hard posted:

Bill Cosby has had a long history of blaming the victim, and it makes a lot more sense now that we know a bit of context

:wth: :aaaaa: :wth:

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Habitual Quitter posted:

From back a few pages, but obviously Bill will just be called First President Clinton.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

For your enjoyment: Democratic debate on SNL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfmwGAd1L-o

Featuring maybe the most perfect impression casting in snl history, larry loving david as bernie sanders. He's not even acting, he's just playing larry david. Also of note is alec baldwin as jim webb, and lincoln chafee just having a real great time.

In past elections, SNL representations of candidates had a huge effect on their public perception (or maybe just or maybe it's the other way around!). Either way a good watch to get an idea of the way the mainstream views the democratic cadre this cycle.

Milk Malk fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 18, 2015

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Fried Chicken posted:

500 posts, I'll assume it was gunchat again.

Anyways, someone has torched 5 black churches around Ferguson in the past 10 days. It's arson and being investigated as such

The churches are around St Louis, and near Ferguson. Ferguson is a fairly unremarkable middle class suburb of St. Louis, which has many areas that are much, much more economically depressed than Ferguson. Some parts of North St. Louis are Detroit level of urban decay. Entirely of coincidence, these areas also have extremely high proportion of black residents (>90%) as a holdover from the decades of redlining, and legalized segregation before that.

I know all this because I torched the churches to end the Negro scourge on our beautiful white city. You heard it here first :cawg:

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Alter Ego posted:

I listened to this and almost died laughing. Koch could not have been greasier and more disingenuous if he'd tried. Falling all over himself to explain how "the system is broken" and then having Ryssdal go "but it's making you shitloads of money!" :laffo:

Kai ryssdal is one of my favorite interviewers/radio people. He's pretty genuine and to the point.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Boon posted:

Hillary currently playing the sexism card in reference to Bernie saying she was "shouting" about gun violence in the last debate.

Goddamnit Hillary campaign team, you loving idiots.

Jesus christ that's stupid. The next thing you know we'll have a black candidate playing the race card in response to "racist" characterizations. What a loving farce.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

...Grandma?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Yowza! Ladies, rev your engines!

• Locked thread