Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So like, is the dude in the gray suit supposed to be Jon Stewart? This has been bugging me.

Olbermann's comeback begins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

For doing their job?

Can you just call me real quick so I can capture your screams? I'm with CNN, I need to imbibe your vital essence.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

MaxxBot posted:

You don't have to know how to use a gun or have in depth knowledge of how they work, but it helps to at least have basic knowledge of different types of guns you want to ban. Otherwise you have things like "assault weapons" bans which literally means nothing, it's seriously based on cosmetic features rather then the functionality of the gun. I'd think people passionate about gun control would want to know that their legislation is essentially meaningless.

It makes more sense when you realize they don't actually care about fixing the problem.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The assault weapons ban was actually about fighting the CRACK MENACE where SUPERCRIMINAL BLACK URBAN YOUTH would OUTGUN THE POLICE.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

A Winner is Jew posted:

Meaningful gun control would be the following.

Any firearm that can fire more than one round per trigger pull or any firearm with a barrel length under 14" should be treated exactly the same regarding gun control laws.

All firearm sales require a minimum 15 day waiting period & federal background check, including gun sales between two parties.

It's legal to make machine guns again!! :dance:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

A Winner is Jew posted:

I'm actually fine with this provided they are massively regulated if handguns are also subject to those regulations.

I'm OK with this because by the time congress gets done with it none of the stuff about handguns would be in there, just like happened with the National Firearms Act.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

Hahaha holy gently caress is this real? It's like "Luck Duckies" all over again

I like how furious readers gave them an excellent rundown on why exactly proles may not be spending

quote:

“Interest rates may be zero,” said reader Thomas Eckenrode, “but I know many people with credit card debt of $10,000 paying 15%.” He added student debt is an even bigger burden for his family.

“Simply put the middle class is debt ridden and struggling,” said reader Nate York. “Many people are hunkering down instead of casually spending.”

Or they may even harbor private ambitions of having savings someday!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I've always wondered, Rent-A-Cop and all, I assume you at least agree we should have SOME gun laws. If you have beef with non-experts writing them, who should? Wouldn't the 'experts' in this case all be in the pro-gun industry lobby? Isn't that like saying 'big pharma' should write our healthcare laws?

I could see there being laws about adhering to chamber spec size and proofing and whatnot but that's not really a major safety concern, and seems like it would just be another layer of incompetently administered bureaucracy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rhesus Pieces posted:

He actually loving doubled down on it when given a chance to clarify:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJp4WhIASVk

Is he purposely killing his campaign or is he really this stupid?

It's a smart play, it's exactly what almost all Republicans want to hear about this. A commitment to inaction.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
You realize this guy is running for the GOP nomination right? A firm rejection of the "nanny state" mentality is going to make him more popular.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I want Francis to give the nuncio a new job, where he can minister directly to the hick bigots he seems to love so much.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RuanGacho posted:

Interestingly, the cost of these weapons has resulted in none of them being used in mass shootings as far as I can tell.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the problem isn't guns persay, its that firearms and their accessories are cheap.

Militarization of police? Equipment is too cheap.
Chicago a violent hellscape? Your choice is making food or bullets prohibitively expensive for troubled people. (Which does the NRA pick :v:)
Mass shootings? Why is it so inexpensive to load yourself up like Neo?
Need subsistance hunting? Government can subsidize or not tax tools that are most useful for hunting.

The problem is cultural only in the way that the NRA is the biggest example of regulatory capture AND market distortion in the modern world. So badly that their product kills more than terrorism and we beg them to make such things even less expensive. You dont need to take peoples rights away, you dont need to solve the basic flaws in the collective human psyche.
You just need to reject the NRA's narrative which exists to perpetuate itself.

It should enlighten people new to the debate how quickly the narrative turns to "poor people shouldn't be able to afford guns."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
In fairness lack of ability to exercise gun rights is generally not going to ruin your life in the same way that lack of access to abortion rights will.

Solkanar512 posted:

Like Reagan?

He was a coastal liberal wasn't he?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh wow DAVID PETRAEUS has a plan for Syria?? Let me pull up a loving chair for this.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo! Looks like it's time for part 2 of "we killed somebody" theater. Now instead of talking about how it was lawful and the correct thing to do, we can talk about how even the regulations we have are impossible to comply within the fog of war.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I always wonder if the people who advance that argument realize how accusatory it sounds. Like "maybe if you spent less time doing business and reading the Torah and making scientific discoveries, and more time stockpiling Mausers then you wouldn't be in this pickle eh?"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Are these two even different people?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
These statutes are invalid *opens coat*

No YOUR statutes are invalid because my fedora is bigger than yours *cue music*

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Venom Snake posted:

I mean you could make an argument the Jewish people didn't have ENOUGH guns since yknow during the warsaw uprising they were going up against Railway Artillery and one of the most terrifying weapons of the war;

It could fire a 300kg 38cm rocket at ranges up to three miles.

You just wanted to post about this gun, which I don't blame you for.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Basically everyone" without political understanding or initiative, it seems.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Why do you need a silencer/short barreled rifle et all?

Suppressors to protect your hearing, and a short barrel because sometimes the most efficient length for a given ballistic profile is less than 16 inches. And also just because.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

this_is_hard posted:

Incidentally, your toys are responsible for over 12,000 people 'not surviving' 2014.

Suppressors and short-barreled rifles?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

this_is_hard posted:

No, those are accessories for your toys. Much like differing models and scenery are for a model train collection.

A short-barreled rifle is not an accessory, it is a firearm. But keep being imprecise, it's working really well as a strategy for proponents of gun control.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

this_is_hard posted:

So it's basically like a clip, then?

"Hey guys I'm telling jokes about my own political irrelevance"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

I must have missed all those times where somebody voted into a school and killed dozens of people

Pretty sure I did that, voting for both Bush and Obama after all.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

YodaTFK posted:

So how do you think we should go about doing this? One of the biggest problems with these laws/systems is that the gun lobby has deliberately supported underfunding/hamstringing them. I can write my representatives all I want but everyone but my national Senators is a conservative who has campaigned on staunch opposition to gun restrictions of any kind. What does you and other TFR posters think we should do to affect change in a political climate that treats any and all restrictions on guns, even on the stupidest most pointless accessories, as a fundamental violation of rights?

You should probably stop writing those laws, which as you admit are stupid and nothing but attempts to incrementally restrict all guns.

That would be a start. Just restrain yourself from doing that for a few decades. Then once all the current Democrats have retired you can try again, and maybe somebody will believe you that you just want background checks or something.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

gently caress, I hate extending gun chat, but I see this come up all the time. Is this really the case? Are the the woes of Chicago gun violence to be blamed on surrounding states?

There are probably enough cheap old guns in dressers to sustain Chicago for a hundred years. As we all know, the real causes of violence in places like Chicago are the drug war, inequality and the hollowing out of social services. But Democrats want to actually continue and deepen those policies, so here's a scary picture of a gun, support my fool's crusade.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
We don't have everything, it's still illegal to make new machine guns. Give it some time though. We'll get them back.

Trabisnikof posted:

When was the last time we passed a federal restriction on guns? How many decades?

Also, the idea that we have to completely deregulate an industry before we're allowed to pass a policy that 90% of Americans support is anathema to democracy.

Two decades. And if this is a democracy and 90% of people support it, then their desires should be shortly enacted. The truth is that their support is skin-deep.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

If we ban all guns what are we gonna use to murder the gun owners you genius?

NPR tote bags.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jarmak posted:

Do you hear that? That's the sound of Republican electoral gains.

I've seen this cycle like three times since the 90s now, when are democrats going to learn not to piss away every political gain they make by reaching for gun control every time they feel like they're getting the slightest bit of a lead in the polls? Its like watching a child who just won't stop loving reaching for the hot stove.

I wish Democrats would understand that when gun owning D voters get pissed off and leave, it's not because they value guns over everything else. It's because they can't stand to support politicians who see them as a rabble to be controlled.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

If someone actually supports Democratic policies and votes R over guns, they're pretty much immoral scumbags. hth

I'm thinking more that they stop voting. And almost every voter in America is an immoral scumbag.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
God drat, imagine your entire life as a politician reduced to a punchline.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's interesting how debate reaction polls had Bernie as the clear winner, but the news headlines this morning all are "Clinton wins."

If the frontrunner survives without loving a cactus onstage, they win.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

But what I got from Bernie's answer of "I was a young man then. I'm not so young anymore" was that he had been a conscientious objector, but with age had grown to believe that sometimes war is actually necessary.

I thought it was an "I'm old and bald" joke.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

I really don't get why everyone said Hillary did so well at the debate. I mean she didn't mess up, but I still don't get a sense from her that she is campaigning on any other platform than "I served my time, make me president drat it." At least that's the sense I get from her. I'll hold my nose and vote for her when she wins

That's why she won.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Did you miss the parts where she went after republicans and supported paid maternity leave.

And supported decriminalization of weed possession.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Is this autobiographical or fictional?

If it's autobiographical Webb has some explaining to do

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Young and not-white.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

spunkshui posted:

Holy gently caress i though SA was one of the smarter corners of the internet.

THIS KID'S GOT A RECORD

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
He said he didn't do it, which if you know anything about islam is called "taqiyya"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

• Locked thread