Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gunbunnies are always caught in the best type of pickle when they talk about wanting a social safety net, because they also refuse to vote for anyone in the only major party who gives a poo poo about funding social services since they caucus with Feinstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'm sure Los Zetas bought their Huey gunship from a Gander Mountain in Arizona somewhere.

I'm sure that's literally the only weapons the Los Zetas have.

Star Man posted:

I'm finally watching Obama's press release on the shooting. Jesus, he's loving pissed.

Yeah this is one of those "your services are not needed, Luther" times.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 2, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

welp, double-post.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nachos posted:

I just can't imagine McCarthy sailing through like that without some sort of fight

I hope it's a rap battle fight because that would be something else.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nonsense posted:

Glad you've come to realize that gun owners do not trust Democrats, nor ever will. That's just the way things are, and until the law changes the NRA runs the show on American gun culture.

In a nutshell, that's why the talk about preferring social programs is hollow. Never mind that Feinstein is among a fringe on the gun issue and the mainstream wants a better-controlled sales/transfer system, occasionally calling for unenforceable mag size limits. Never mind that a party running on social progress would be passing social programs first anyway. The choice between "no change to the purported social root causes" and "change to the social root causes with a non-zero-but-not-a-given chance to address the proliferation of small arms in the US" always gets answered with preference for the former. The implication is that the world can burn as long as they keep a 30-rd mag in their Bushmaster.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Fuckin' laffo.

Do you live in the same America I do or some kind of parallel America where the Democrats aren't worthless shitbags concerned only with stroking the cocks of their corporate paymasters?

:laffo: yeah Democrats don't give a poo poo about social progress, they just expand Medicaid, preserve SNAP/TANF, and extend unemployment benefits as cover so all us rubes get snowed.

Nonsense posted:

Patrick Equalman • 2 months ago
Our entire neighborhood has a huge number of Veterans, and we all
keep and bear arms as a "well regulated Militia", meaning that our armories are stocked, cleaned, oiled, and ready.

I prefer one shot, one kill, at 650 to 1200 meters, but, for home defense, keep 12 gauge pump shotguns ready near each entry.

COME ONE COME ALL, EACH HOME INVADER GETS A SHOTGUN AS A DOOR PRIZE

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 2, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

I could see there being laws about adhering to chamber spec size and proofing and whatnot but that's not really a major safety concern, and seems like it would just be another layer of incompetently administered bureaucracy.

I don't know, about the only layer of bureaucracy gunbunnies approve of would probably be the one that tackles the engineering side of firearms since that's where people like Garand and Stoner hung out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Remember when a handful of college kids died from drinking too much Four Loko and now Four Loko doesn't exist anymore? If the solution that gun violence is more guns then I want more Four Loko.

Four Loko still exists, they've been pre-rolling their lovely ads all over videos on the internet. Also it's a godawful beverage for any purpose, including getting drunk for cheap because OE800 exists as do Steel Reserve tallboys. It's like the Axe to Smirnoff Ice's Curve.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MaxxBot posted:

You shouldn't be able to pull someone over without evidence that they actually did anything wrong. It's not a pro-drunk driving position to not want people pulled over at random to check their BAC.

They ought to just cut the occasional 3-4 lane road down to one lane with cruisers and flares and then pull over anyone who fails to use a blinker/drives like a shitter/seems drunk while trying to merge.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's like someone dosed the typical aspen shithead with PCP.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rent-A-Cop posted:

What percentage chance do you think that would have of being anything other than a paper bag test?

What are your thoughts on castle doctrine and SYG, since we're talking paper bag tests?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dogs named Charlie posted:

The dumbest poo poo is the gun people who insist you need technical knowledge to have an informed stance about guns. It's an object that kills people with the twitch of a finger, and I know people I don't want senselessly murdered by some nut. That's it, that's the technical knowledge you need to have an informed opinion about guns. You might have a stance like "I need a gun to defend myself and my family," but you might was well have a stance like "I'm learning to count cards so I can put my kids through college" because they're about as likely to pan out.

It's an attempt to pigeonhole everyone who wants mandatory background checks and a more regulated transfer process in with people who say handguards make guns more deadly. You see, because you said clip once, it means you're a hair's breadth from bringing back the 94 AWB.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The silent majority who want those things should really speak up because politicians keep trying to ban flash suppressors, barrel shrouds, and .50 range toys.

You know, to protect us from gangs. All those gangs that roll around with $10,000, 5' long, 35 pound, single shot rifles.

:laffo: perhaps the silent majority of gunbunnies can speak up about wanting the GOP to do something about the purported root causes of gun violence so maybe some of that blood can get washed off for once.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

OAquinas posted:

You don't, really. See: every technology-related piece of legislature, ever.

Or drat near any law sponsored by the GOP gunbunny mothership pertaining to women.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Pretty much this.

I think guns should be more regulated but it has to be done properly otherwise you're just going to get lovely laws which are either ineffective and/or just piss off a lot of people resulting in congressmen losing their seat and those laws rescinded and replaced with even laxer or shittier laws. This is hardly some strange or unreasonable view, I just think some people in this thread/forum really hate guns and its clouding their judgement fairly heavily which makes talking about the issue here pretty tiresome.

Sooo...anyways. What has been the reaction to the story about Kim Davis and the Pope meeting amongst some family members/Right media? Most seem to be pretending it was ever a thing or an issue that I've noticed.

Nobody's saying anything about it because they know how hosed up a person has to be to have The Pope (and this guy especially) backpedal on meeting them. Now the Holy See is pointing out that the only meeting personally arranged by Francis himself was with a former student of his from back in the 60's - http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/world/europe/pope-francis-kim-davis-meeting.html

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

/\ Probably spring at the latest. That nuncio is getting old enough to have to offer retirement (basically they are required to tell the Vatican "heads up I'm getting old, here's an offer of resignation so you can replace me if you want" at 75 - which the nuncio hits in January)

Young Freud posted:

A former student of Francis that is in a same-sex relationship, at that.

And brought his partner to get hugged and that-cheek-to-cheek-kiss-the-air thing by the Pope, no less. The student has been pretty chill about it, basically "Yeah, we met because we go way back, he's known I'm gay the whole time and hasn't been a dick about it because he's a good guy."

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 3, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

I want Francis to give the nuncio a new job, where he can minister directly to the hick bigots he seems to love so much.

Send him to the Archdiocese of Raqqa. He'll just pull this kind of poo poo at the next opportunity, might as well give him something else to worry about.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rent-A-Cop posted:

None of them were used in crimes before the registry was closed either. To the best of my knowledge the only killing that has ever been committed with a firearm on the NFA registry was a cop blasting his wife with a department gun.

It turns out $200 and a background check is too high a hurdle for most future murderers to clear.

I agree, amending the 1934 NFA to include any weapon with a detachable magazine as a title 2 weapon would be a pretty good step. It worked for poo poo like Thompsons and BARs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's odd that people get up in arms about attempts to restrict abortion through incrementally more restrictive laws enacted in poor faith and without any reasonable basis, but are willing to turn around and do the same thing to people exercising a right they don't like.

Abortions don't kill people you god drat nincompoop

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dead Reckoning posted:

For one, the pro-lifers whose tactics people on the left abhor think they do, and second, if you think their tactics are unethical, then it shouldn't matter how noble you believe the cause.

Gun violence deaths aren't imaginary, swing and a miss.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If that bothers you, definitely don't read up on the Japanese Instrument of Surrender.

Canadians, man.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hooded Reptile posted:

Alabama judges use segregation-era law to avoid gay marriage

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...1205_story.html

The name of that man is Nick Williams.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hooded Reptile posted:

Sheriff that Laughed about Flash Banging a Toddler, Was Just Shot By Murderous Rogue Cop
Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/karma-sheriff-maimed-toddler-shot-murderous-rogue-cop/#ywjblvYzigtp1Jm0.99

Good.

It wasn't fatal and it isn't resulting in permanent disfigurement/pain/paralysis. Not Good Enough.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bolow posted:

If they were taking fire from the Hospital it loses its protected status.
/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Luigi Thirty posted:

Why would you need to fire a mortar from an airplane?

Better sight lines and cheaper than bombs of equal accuracy. From the ground you're arcing a shell over any number of terrain features but from the air you're basically hurling it right down onto their heads. Dumb bombs are probably more accurate than they were in the 40s due to better sights but they're still basically aero-stabilized bricks of explosive dropped from the plane. A mortar has a charge behind it and a known (albeit a combination of airspeed/height/barrel direction) vector along which it's being fired, allowing for more predictable variables when the computer is sighting it. For that level of accuracy you need something like a JDAM (I believe they're still more expensive than a shell) or a cruise missile (way more expensive but capable of delivering more boom and different payloads).

Also there's probably something there about having eyes on the actual target to avoid blowing up a hospital under the belief that it's a terror mountain but clearly that doesn't mean a goddamn thing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Taeke posted:

Okay, so in the example given in that article it's the Kurdish militia fighter that orders the strike by giving the coordinates to his handlers. Is he then responsible or does the handler order the strike or confers it to someone who does? Isn't there or shouldn't there be some verification somewhere between a fighter on the ground requesting a strike and it actually being executed? I can hardly blame someone in the thick of it not having access to the do not bomb coordinates (especially if it's militia which to my understanding can be little more than a bunch of willing fighters with at most very, very basic training) but that makes it all the more reasonable for there to be a level headed verification at a higher level.

Like I said, I know next to nothing about these matters so I'm just trying to understand. Surely somewhere along the line there's a person of authority with access to the relevant intel that has to approve a bombing?

e:

To clarify, I'm just trying to understand at what level the gently caress up happened. I can totally understand that once the bombing started it took a while for the messages from MSF to get through to the right people for it to stop. It shouldn't have happened in the first place, obviously, but either the process is faulty or someone hosed up somewhere along the line, and I'm just trying to get an idea of what likely happened.

MSF repeatedly stated they provided GPS coordinates to US command prior to the strike, days prior. Somewhere along the line, someone failed to do their job - either someone didn't check the request against known humanitarian locations, or someone didn't pass that information along, either at the time of the strike or for it to be put on a list, I don't know how that process is done at the time of a call from the field. It's entirely possible that the pilots and the people giving them targets were unaware of a hospital there, because whoever was in charge of dispersing the locations of humanitarian facilities didn't loving do it.

There's bound to be accountability somewhere but there's a fair chance it falls somewhere other than the people on the radio and the people pulling the trigger. That isn't to say it's definitely not the pilots or comms guys but there's probably a handful of different people those GPS coordinates were supposed to pass through inclusive of the pilots and one of those people failed at their responsibility and deserves to be tried for their failure, either by negligence or malice.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 5, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pathetic little tramp posted:

Fan Duel employees have been doing it too. They've both been doing it from the beginning, the whole system is literally rigged so that you have better odds betting on a single number on a roulette wheel. Why betting on Team A to beat Team B is illegal, but betting on Fantasy Team A to beat Fantasy Team B is illegal is a mystery*.

*Major corporate cash is no mystery.

Additionally, if they allow private leagues then people have almost certainly been laundering dirty money through all those fantasy sites. Bet dirty money on manziel and whoever he's throwing at, lose to your bagman, clean money comes out to his PayPal account or whatever he's got hooked in to it.

Generally banks will investigate that kind of stuff but who knows what PP is doing these days as far as reporting goes. And I doubt the fantasy sites are doing anything either.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

Oh wow DAVID PETRAEUS has a plan for Syria?? Let me pull up a loving chair for this.

His plan is a secret, so be sure to take good notes and bring rubbers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Volkerball posted:

It's not secret.

Nothing's a secret with Petraeus :thejoke:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If people can get busted for careless driving they sure as hell ought to get busted for careless warring.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Would it be reckless driving if the Taliban was shooting at the car.

Yeah because it's not difficult to avoid crashing into a hospital you were told about even when you say you're being shot at.

mlmp08 posted:

So a $200 fine?

Well there's the issue that the careless warring resulted in a hospital getting destroyed so the war insurance company is going to have to send a war adjuster out.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 7, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stereotype posted:

"Overworked, underpaid 20 year old thousands of miles from home in war a torn country sentenced to life in jail for fifteen murders because he was lazy with checking coordinates in the middle of the night"

Yeah and if I don't see a stopsign I'm still on the hook for killing the kid in the intersection.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

Oh poo poo! Looks like it's time for part 2 of "we killed somebody" theater. Now instead of talking about how it was lawful and the correct thing to do, we can talk about how even the regulations we have are impossible to comply within the fog of war.

Cue people with obnoxious accents talking about how it isn't fair that the tairists don't follow the Geneva Conventions.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What the MSF page actually says is:

quote:

MSF wishes to clarify that all parties to the conflict, including in Kabul and Washington, were clearly informed of the precise location (GPS Coordinates) of the MSF facilities – hospital, guest-house, office and an outreach stabilization unit in Chardara (to the north-west of Kunduz). As MSF does in all conflict contexts, these precise locations were communicated to all parties on multiple occasions over the past months, including most recently on 29 September.

E: Kunduz Hospital Airstrike
(Last update: Monday 5 October, 2015)

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 7, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sharkie posted:

Hey if the US military didn't effectively make use of the information MSF provided so as to not bomb them, then it sounds like the US military hosed up and the people responsible for this should be held accountable :shrug:.

Nice sentiment but everyone knows the military is full of complete fuckups from top to bottom and you can't hold any individual or group among a such gaggle of habitual clownshoes fuckups accountable for loving up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mlmp08 posted:

That's pretty reasonable. What's unreasonable is all the clowns in here pretending the only organization on Earth that fails to share information perfectly is the military. Granted, when PayPal repeatedly fucks up the most basic of things and lets scammers take my money while kicking back all charity donations, I don't die.

Which is why so many of these clowns would like to see a magnitude of accountability beyond "well, stuff happens" and angry websites. It isn't exactly walking on eggshells but when you've got a humanitarian organization, who certainly is no stranger to dealing with belligerents and asking not to be bombed, stating unequivocally that they provided GPS coordinates to US military and civilian contacts (in Washington and Kabul) as a matter of routine, there's a question of why they got bombed this time. What is the mechanism for transmitting this information to the correct people? Was it followed? Assuming the GPS coordinates were in the possession of the correct people, what is the procedure for checking to ensure you aren't calling in an airstrike on a hospital? Was that followed? You can follow that line of questioning all the way down until someone either can't prove they stuck to protocol or they admit they didn't.

That's why PayPal got fined something like 7 million bucks when it turned out the people tasked with running ID info against OFAC lists were just greenlighting a known SDN for years because it was faster just to verify the validity of their passport and claim it was a misunderstanding if anyone asked. (That type of clownshoes "fast and dirty" game is why I quit and took a better paying job doing AML at a proper bank :v:)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MSF has never struck me as a very spiteful organization and I'm wondering what motives folks assume they have for hypothetically lying about multiple aspects of the bombing attack on their hospital.

e: Hey Toyota, why do 10 out of 10 Mujahideen fireteams ask for the Hilux by name?

(Seriously Hiluxes have been right up there with hummers, blazers, and escalades as far as "vehicles invariably driven by dangerous pieces of garbage" for like 30 years because they're drat near indestructible)

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 7, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

moller posted:

This article is written in such a way that seems to imply that the author and "US officials" aren't aware that consumer pickups in general and the highlux in particular have been the vehicle of choice of irregular armies on multiple continents for, like, 40 years. I mean there's an African war named after them.

Right, but clearly these chucklefucks have nothing better to do than shaking Toyota down. I kind of hope their answer is "Because their Fords and Chevrolets all broke down :smug:"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dead Reckoning posted:

They're not shaking Toyota down. That whole unit in the Treasury department exists to investigate how terrorist groups fund and supply themselves, and since there isn't a new Japanese car dealership in Raqqa these days, they're asking Toyota to help them figure out how the trucks got from the factory to ISIS territory, like tracing a gun used in a crime.

Uh, they kind of took over a couple decently-sized cities and steamrolled a bunch of other militia groups a while back. The answer is that the Mideast isn't some stone-age hellhole and even IS knows that pickup trucks are going to be more useful than sedans for their war rig needs. If someone is shipping cars in and selling them to ISIS then they have FinCEN to investigate the financial trail so they don't need to ask a loving manufacturer what happened to a vehicle after they sent it to a dealer. Granted, Toyota doesn't make guns so expecting some kind of documentation after release to dealers is somewhat reasonable but I'm gonna call it now and say that any cars they're having shipped in are being bought by straw buyers who are slipping through financial intelligence nets in the countries they inhabit. They ought to be asking the individual dealers and banks for their books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kalman posted:

How do you think FinCEN (which is part of Treasury, meaning they're probably the ones who actually talked to Toyota) figure out which individual dealers to talk to? Do you think maybe they ask Toyota about which dealer received specific VINs, and for other details of how vehicles are distributed?

There's a good chance it was OFAC rather than FinCEN talking to Toyota because FinCEN deals with financial crimes and not much in the way of goods being delivered. Once they determine how and where the vehicles are being purchased, FinCEN should be able to tack down who is doing the buying. The only unique information Toyota is probably going to be able to provide is regional at best, since collecting the records from regional dealers will be quicker and inclusive of more of the trail. They've [Toyota] even said the vehicle models seen in pictures all over social media are older, meaning if they even retained the original dealer delivery information after this long there's a fair chance the trail goes cold there. They're better off monitoring banks in Monterey Park and seizing any accounts sending and receiving wires larger than $40k with more than one beneficiary party.

• Locked thread